Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
This could also be caused by cranking the torsion arms in order to raise the front end of the truck. Doing this and then not having the front end realigned will cause premature wear on the outer tire edges.
Nope - I haven't done that and, for the record, the truck was just recently realigned by a very reputable commercial truck shop. They're the ones who pointed out that the "cupping" problem is common with the 3500 4 x 4 trucks.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Some Basics...

The TRANSFER CASE behind the transmission is what engages/dis-engages the front drive shaft that supplies power to the front axle and also changes the gear ratio, i.e. 2WD,4WD-HI RANGE,4WD-LO RANGE.

The DIFFERENTIALS, front or rear,allow the axle shafts to turn at different speeds to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds while cornering. Example; when making a left turn, the right side wheels must be able to turn faster than the left side wheels.

The LOCKING HUBS, whether AUTOMATIC or MANUAL allow the wheels to rotate freely from the axles they are attached to, reducing drag and wear on the front axle.

BTW, preloading (cranking up) the torsion bars is a BAD idea, it prevents the suspension from moving through out it's full range of motion, resulting in a harsher ride. There are other ways to lift a vehicle.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Duh! Forgot about that one. The little switch makes me forget about all te workings.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
On my F-250 I have auto /engage setting on the hub. I cycle them at aleast once a week..
I was under the impression that just the hubs released and the power was still going to the front drive shaft at all times.
Hi, Yes you do have Auto and Manual settings on the hubs, In Auto mode the hubs are vacuum controlled to engage and dissengage them. This also works in conjunction with the transfer case as you shift in and out of 4X4 modes engages and dissengages the front differential at the same time. So, out of 4X4 with hubs on Auto, Your front drive shaft has no power to it and the front wheels are free wheeling.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
If the hubs did not release it would make going around corners on hard surfaces nearly impossible. There is no front differential in the Ford Trucks.
All time four wheel drive is a different animal.
Hi, whether you have four wheel drive or all wheel drive you have a front and rear differential; And in some all wheel drive vehicles there is a third differential in the transfer case. As front and rear differentials have spider gears to allow one axle to turn at a different rate than the opposite side, the third differential in the transfer case also has spider gears to allow one drive shaft to turn at a different rate than the other one.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
You guys sure made this MORE complicated than it need be. Ford 3/4 , 1 ton, etc. have either auto lock or manual get out in the mud hubs that work the same way as they did 40 years ago. A transfer case the engages the from diveshaft that goes to the front differential that drives the axels. GM has a system more akin to a front wheet drive car. They are not as truck like as the Ford system. But they have more moveing parts and boots to replace over the years. Half tons are different. ...But I am only talking about trucks..not half tons. Ford has the same system of transfer case,,,front differential and manual hubs availible as they have since they came out with 4X4 in the 50's. AND ITS THE STRONGEST BY THE WAY....BUT ITS OLD SCHOOL. The auto lock hubs tend to fail if dirty....manual never fail.....but you have to get dirty. Its up to you.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
In summary, it sounds to me like dis-engaging 4 WD - be it Ford or GM - takes the whole mechanism out of the drive train if you have automatic hubs - which most of us probably do. That said, there's no "drag" issue robbing fuel.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
In summary, it sounds to me like dis-engaging 4 WD - be it Ford or GM - takes the whole mechanism out of the drive train if you have automatic hubs - which most of us probably do. That said, there's no "drag" issue robbing fuel.
Correct. The only "drag" then is the increased weight of the 4WD equipment, usually a couple hundred pounds plus.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I noticed on my burb that it does not appear to be the old pig iron in the front, so hopefully it's a bit less weight, not that getting 11mpg towing, you'd really know the difference!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
MPG wit 4x4

The Dodge trucks now have synthetic lube in the differentials, t-case and transmission...evidently to minimize the effects of the hub-less design they've gone to. I have a t-case lever much like I've been used to on all previous trucks but no longer get to get out and turn the hubs. The whole front driveshaft, differential and axle shafts are turning with the front wheels, they're just not being "driven" until I move the lever.

Another forum had posted results of several guys testing the induced drag from a fully "part time" system (manual hubs, t-case lever) and a late-model with the "shift on the fly" hub-less design...the results were negligible.

Considering the frontal area most trucks, weight of entire rig with trailer, the minimal effect of the front drive system, regardless of type, is far offset by the benefit of having it when needed...and I have needed it many times.

I've further learned one of the reasons Dodge did away with the hubs was that the u-joints at the wheels (in the knuckle) would "dry up" due to lack of exercising...I never had any problems with them but I have heard of some that did.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Ford's 4x4 system add's approximately 450 lbs to a truck. So fuel mileage will suffer with 4 wheel drive from the weight even when not engaged and the added drag...yes...drag...remember you set about 3 inches higher and that mean more air passing under the rig...means more drag.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
So how about streamlining the underside of the truck?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
That's a pretty good idea, Michelle about streamlining the underside of the truck. However, I do not know of any US built truck, car, or SUV that has that feature. It would reduce the drag caused by all the stuff hanging down, now wouldn't it?
Only thing is, a friend of mine had a Land Rover which had the underside enclosed. It must have been manufactured that way. He cursed the day he bought it because the drive train was in there. He dropped a universal joint and had to have it transported to a Rover garage to get it fixed.

regards