Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
One thing I forgot to mention about the 4-Runner as a TV, is the back up camera. What a joy to be able to line up the hitch with one try. It was an option on the 4-Runner that has made hooking up to a trailer so much easier. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the back up camera!!
LydiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
We're thinking of doing the same deal, a 2010 4Runner and a 19', but I'm concerned about the hitch arrangement. Did you use the factory hitch? My reason for asking is that AS lists the tongue weight at 550#, but Toyota says max 500 on the hitch. I'd be curious to hear the setup you used...any anti-sway devices or weight distribution stuff?

thanks!
lilynhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just my opinion, but we seem to keep adding stuff to our trailer and pickup bed. For just that reason, personally, I wouldn't start out with a tow vehicle that was slightly under-rated for the hitch weight.

Sounds like you are shopping Toyotas; did you look at the Tundra CrewMax? That's what we have, with a tonneau cover. The pickup bed is like a long low trunk. You might not think you need a halfton pickup, but it's really quiet and has lots of power. And, after you get used to the seemingly big chassis (it really isn't especially big compared to the larger SUVs), it drives like a limo. Plus, we get around 16.5 mpg towing our 19-foot Bambi. See other threads on this forum for more info on Tundras as tow vehicles.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

My experience with my 4Runner was not acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaB View Post
New to this forum, and have a question. My tow vehicle is a 2010 4-Runner Trail Edition, and has a big old 6 cylinder motor. It's rated to tow 5000 lbs, which is under the Bambi's loaded weight. But, I'm a little worried whether it can pull hard enough to trverse mountains. Next summer it's going to make a road trip to Alaska, and there are some huge peaks between Texas and Alaska. Does any one have any experiance or tips about towing with a 6 cylinder?
You may be just fine with the 19 foot Bambi considering weight, hitch, center of gravity etc, but my VERY NEGATIVE experience with my 27' Overlander was due to WHEELBASE disparity. There is an excellent thread here that discusses matching tow unit with the trailer in a very simple but scientific way. My 4Runner just was not well matched to the length ratio of my trailer. This resulted in a number of out-of-control events - all around 50 mph and down hill with truck passings. Once I switched to the Suburban I have not had ANY similar experience over the same routes many times under same conditions.

So you may be fine with your ratio, it just didn't work for me. It did have plenty of power however!

PS: The 4Runner was crushed flat in the middle of the night by "Hurricane" Ernesto while we were in the trailer on Maryland's Eastern shore, but I've never changed my avatar on this site.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Sounds like you are shopping Toyotas;

Actually, we already own the 4Runner, but I'd like to get as much info regarding this combo as I can. It would appear that you can't get an aftermarket hitch for this truck...so I'm wondering if the factory hitch is appropriate for weight distribution tongues and sway control stuff.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirConditioner View Post
There is an excellent thread here that discusses matching tow unit with the trailer in a very simple but scientific way.
Any idea what this thread is labeled? I've searched but no luck...

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
We have a weight distribution tow hitch (by Easy Hitch I think) and an anti sway bar. The hitch is a royal pain, it needs to be whacked with a hammer to seat/unseat the bars, but it does the job.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
LydiaB - just read your thread - sorry I missed your Broken Bow Trip - I live an hour west of there in Antlers OK. I can't wait until my refurb is finished so I can travel also. If you are ever back this way - give a shout. Always like to talk to other AS owners. Met 2 today. Black powder season starts this weekend and the hills are already filling up. My girlfriend is the manager of Kwik Chek on the West side of Antlers by the Indian Nation Turnpike. While I was there for lunch a 52 SilverStreak and a 55 safari took a break. Had to talk to the owners about both and put in a work for the forum. Both had been looking for parts and information. Keep everyone up to date on your Alaska travels. Good Luck.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #29

1986 30' Airstream 300
Auburndale , Florida
Bought a retired e350 super duty ambulance van not the box type just a extended van . Tow cap is very high turbo diesel is more than powerful enough to pull large land yacht. Im only pulling a 22' Argosy but I may buy larger later and won't be under rated. I still get 20 mpg so I can't see too many issues going this route.
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
MWells- we go up to McCurtain County at least once a year- and next trip we will give you a shout out, for sure. Like you, we love to get together with other AS owners, and will certainly look forward to meeting y'all. We saw so many deer this summer up there just roaming around, I'm not surprised the black powder hunters are after them! Bow season is in full swing down here, as well, so the deer are being scared, and the hunters are being happy. We love to hit the woods this time of year.
We have parked our Bambi down at Lake LBJ for a couple months while we do a contruction project on what ever weekends we can manage.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
P.S. The 4-runner is a great tow vehicle!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
We have a 4runner, 2006 Sport 6cyl 4wd and have towed our 20' Safari about 35,000 miles with it - Florida to Utah to Maine. Yes, sometimes I would like to have a few more horses but I think it is almost a perfect tow vehicle. I like the 22 mpg w/o A/S and 16 with. I did replace the OEM brake shoes with upgrades. We try really hard to "keep it light" when travelling. (If we get a new sponge out goes the old one!) It has yet to have a single thing break (90,000 miles) knock on wood. I am on my third set of tires!
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
4 runner ???

Post #13 here may interest some of you who are promoting the use of the 4 runners...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ion-42259.html
Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, sometimes I would like to have a few more horses but I think it is almost a perfect tow vehicle. I like the 22 mpg w/o A/S and 16 with.

Hmm, maybe DODGE diesel like mine: 24-27 Hwy, 18-19 City, and 15+ with a 34'.

That aside, I'm certain yours is more of a pleasure to drive around in.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
RoadRuler, I looked at that post #13 you mentioned, and it sorta scared me. The Toyota salesman (don't laugh!) assured me that the reciever hitch problem had been corrected on the 2011 models, which is what I bought. We tow with weight distribors, and anti sway bar. So far so good!
Thanks for pointing me towards that discussion- it was interesting, and helpful.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Hi LydiaB,

I'm also looking at a 2011 4Runner as a TV for a 19' International. Curious to get an update of your experiences with the 4Runner. Also any more insights on the tongue weight issue (19' appears to exceed to 4runner specs by 10%)?

Thanks!!!
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Had a great trip- went to Hot Springs Arkansas, towed with the 4-Runner, and it did great! We had a little tire drama on the Bambi- thank goodness we carry a mini air compressor and could add air to the leaking tire until we found a tire repair place. The mini air compressor had just enough cord to reach, but it was close. If the tire would have been street side it might not have reached. Hot Springs in just lovely, we 'took the water' at the newest bath house- Quapaw. Loved it, and had a great trip.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
LydiaB, "tire drama" details? (blowout, nail, etc.; also include tire size, brand, load rating, etc., if applicable to problem). Thanks...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote