Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , ontario
3/4 ton suburban with 6" lift kit

I am about to purchase a low mileage 3/4 ton GMC suburban (7.4 liter) to use as tow vehicle for 34 foot excella. This truck has been modified with a 6" lift kit. Looks impressive, but wonder if this will affect towing characteristics.

Any thoughts?
lohidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hi lohi, while lifting a truck may look impressive (cool) raising the CG is not a good thing.
I would also question how this truck was used by PO...serious off roading?
Also not good...

But who knows, if the truck was not abused, certainly 3/4 ton Subys are awesome TV's, and you can drop it back down to "normal".

Good luck, Bill
Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , ontario
Thanks Bill - I appreciate your comments. Truck looks very well cared for, clean inside and out, regular low mileage over the years and well maintained. The cool quotient is not important to me but it does to my kids and anything that gives this dorky middle-aged dad some street cred is a bonus. The truck does have some chunky tires which extend laterally and presumably this compensates with regard stability.
I'm concerned about the towing characteristics- how does it affect towing characteristics? Weight distributing hitch, sway bars etc.

Marc
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
What year Sub? 6 inch lift is pretty tall. Its tall enough to clear 36 inch tires. So this may make an issue if they re geared the truck to put it back in its proper effective gear ratio.

In general lift is counter productive to towing. It may require a custom drop hitch to get the correct ball height.
The higher Center of gravity can also cause handling issue.

How did they lift it?

Lift blocks= BAD. creates axle wrap so if it has lift blocks they got to go.

Since the 454 was not available in a 4wd suburban till 92 I assume this is a IFS truck.

Lowering the front may be a bigger problem then you would think. Many lift kits for the IFS trucks require cutting off and modifying the factory brackets. So you may have to hit a just yard and cut off the brackets and weld them on to this truck to be able to put this truck back to stock.

Honestly you might be better skipping this truck if you want to put it back to stock height. It will probably exceed the saving you got on the initial sale.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A lifted Sub is cool, and it can tow a small boat or something else in the 3000# range. I'm concerned that towing a 34 footer in the 10,000# range would be courting disaster. At a minimum check the tires on the Sub, they may not be load range E's. You really need E's to pull something that big.

I am also concerned that the raising of the Sub has changed the steering geometry and center of gravity. These things are really important when towing heavy at highway speeds.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a friend of mine and fellow co-worker had a Suburban and towed a toy hauler. Shortly after raiseing his truck, well long story short, truck and trailer went to the junk yard. [ROLLED THEM] I would not suggest towing with a jacked up truck. True cause of the accident was never disclosed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Take a pass on this one, there are too many others to buy!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , ontario
Thanks all for advice - I continue to be impressed by this community!

Consensus seems that towing with a lifted truck is not a good thing, so I'll take a pass on it. Thanks again to all of you!

Marc
Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Since you mentioned chunky tires, I picture aggressive off-road tires which have a tendency to pick up larger rocks from the road and hurl them toward your trailer. Small pebbles are picked up by all terrain tires such as the B.F. Goodrich AT KO and others so front window rock guards and lower segment protectors are necessary. My truck is shod with Bridgestone Dueler APTIII tires and I wouldn't want to go much more aggressive than that while towing a trailer. One other point, a previous poster noted that the tires should be at least a load range E. I have also found that a more open tread, particularly if the edge of the tread is open and not closed, has a tendency to squirm more even if in that preferred load range.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
I have also found that a more open tread, particularly if the edge of the tread is open and not closed, has a tendency to squirm more even if in that preferred load range.
dittos on that comment. the best towing medium terrain tires i have found have a continous tread around the edges. firestone and goodyear make some good examples.

john
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If your trailer gets squirly for any reason. Your Suburban stands a much higher chance of being toss around or rolling over. Pass.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I tend to agree, a lifted truck isn't gonna be a sound choice.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohidoc
I am about to purchase a low mileage 3/4 ton GMC suburban (7.4 liter) to use as tow vehicle for 34 foot excella. This truck has been modified with a 6" lift kit. Looks impressive, but wonder if this will affect towing characteristics.

Any thoughts?
Visit "ANY" large wrecked vehicle yard.

You will find an amazing number of high profile vehicles, just like the one you want to buy, that are roll overs.

Couple that with a 34 foot trailer, and your asking for a ride, that quite well may be the last for you and your family.

Using a load equalizing hitch would require altering the laws of physics.

Absolute wrong kind of tow vehicle, under any cirsumstances.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , ontario
Thanks again all of you - I'm glad I had the inspiration to pose the question before purchase; probably saved me from a serious accident!