Old 03-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Two/ dual gear rear end!!
On larger trucks that is fairly common. I wonder if any one out there knows if something like that is available for smaller trucks. Would like to know if the idea is possible or just not a choice...

vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:55 AM   #30
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

With quadrasteer, I am unsure the rear gears can be changed....don't have a bunch of feedback on those things though to support that claim yet......

I have to say, I was once a big block fan, but the price for the Duramax more than pays for itself over time.

I am also unsure what 2500 has Quadrasteer.

My vote would be go with 4x4 and still get the locking rear posi.

On Brett's idea, you would have to find someone to change the PCM programming on your truck. Although I do know several folks that can mod out the PCM on a gear change, I do not know of any that have added such an overdrive unit to the and modified the PCM (PCM is the brain child of the vehicle, it controls engine, trans, and monitors dozens of vehicle functions). I also have no idea how this could effect the quadrasteer. The reason I say this is that when I went from 2.93s to 3.73s I could tell that the car, besides the ususal things, acted much differently and I have an overdrive unit (speaking of that, doesn't your truck already have 4 speed). Anyway, lots of things to consider before cracking open that truck. Also, and this is just a thought, if you change the rear gears and have 4x4, don't you also have to change the front gears too?

At any rate, you can contact Bryan Herter, he is the programmer I use for all car mods that I do. His website is Bryan is a real gem!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 AM   #31
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

There is some great info posted here:

...on the 8.1L vs. the Duramax. Whichever way you go, you should seriously consider the Allision transmission as both engines can have that trans. It is suppose to be the Rolls Royce of truck transmissions.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #32
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
4wd saved our butt this day. Driving back county roads in New Mexico and a sudden extremely heavy rainstorm turned the county road into slick snot. We might still be sitting there 50 miles from nowhere if we had not of had 4wd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	5352  
Paul Mayeux
A&P Vintage Trailer Works, Inc.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:13 AM   #33
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

Are there mudflaps on that truck? If so, maybe an upgrade is in order....the Airstream looks like it took some direct hits from the rear tires of the truck!

I agree about the 4wd never know how much you need it unit you need it and don't have it.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:43 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member
Neat thread... I am another convert to 4WD. This truck I currently have is perfect for my unit, except for its 2WD capabilities. I have gotten stuck badly in moist soil and grass, with the rear end sinking into this soil up to its axles. Basically, with 2WD, you cannot go anywhere even remotely off-road. All that big-block power with 4.10 rear axle is neutralized.

Justice - When you get what you deserve. Mercy - When you don't get what you deserve
Grace - When you get what you don't deserve
ipso_facto is offline   Reply With Quote