Old 03-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
don't forget low range

the best feature of 4 wd is low range.

makes manuvering on loose soil or wet ground a breeze.

takes a lot of strain off the drivetrain and transmission when you can cut the final drive ratio in half at the push of a button or yank on a lever!

i live in the snow belt so 4 wd is not an option.

john

Old 03-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for everyones response. I will tell you that you can learn more in this forum then by talking to any salesman at a dealership. When I went to the dealership and asked these questions, all I got were looks of confusion and fabricated answers.

As some of you might know, I currently have a 2003 1500HD. The truck is equipped with a V-8, 6.0, 3.73 rear end. When towing my 28' International CCD, I don't have any major issues, but I sure wish the truck had a 4.10.

Nonetheless, I think I am going to stick it out and in the next 12 to 15 months upgrade to the V-8 / 8.1 engine.

Thanks again for everyones help. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
josh

why not trade even for the same truck with 4.10 gears? or change the gears you have?

essentially we have the same truck, even though mine is a "2500" i seem to get around 15 mpg loaded or empty.

A big block might eat you out of house and home! except when towing. the mileage is the same as the 6.0. you may not want a big block for the other 99% of the driving you do.

john
Old 03-18-2004, 09:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I have no choice

It has to be 4W drive or I don't get up my 12% slope gravel driveway in the winter with or without a tow. That limits us pretty much to 4W drive trucks, SUVs, Subarus, Audis and VW Passats.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Josh
Give the Quadrasteer a try. Even though you might not buy it, just give it a drive. I looked at several tow vehicles before I decided on at 2500 Suburban w/ q-steer and the 4.10 gears and the camper mirrors. The best thing of our forum is that I was and you will be much more informed when you go to the dealer to make you choice than any salesman on the floor.
Plus Chevy is loaning money for 5 years at 0% interest

And back to your original question I have had 4 wheel drive
(66 c-j 5, 85 subaru and and assortement of jeeps since 1977 and would never think of having any thing but 4 wheel drive. But, I think that it has alot to do with the part of the country you live in. Here in VA we have snow, plus some beaches we go to allow you to drive in the sand.
The locker rear end is a good investment.. W/o it you can be stuck with one front and one rear wheel spinning.

Abe
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I bought...

I bought a 2002 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab SLT Duramax/Allison 3.73 gears.
I am getting 19-20 solo and 14 towing.
I think going diesel is WORTH it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-300f.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5305  
Old 03-19-2004, 02:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Iíve had my 4X4 now for almost a year. I can say that I find it to be a great advantage for me. I drive my tow vehicle all of the time and found that in the winter it was a lot nicer while traveling back and forth to work.

When I had the ĺ ton van, it was nice but I remember once while just parking in a campground I left some pretty big ruts where it was muddy. I made it without 4-wheel drive but I was ďsweating itĒ so to speak. I had buried the wheels to the rims; Iím still not sure how I kept from getting really stuck.

I like having my 4-wheel drive; the locking differential however does clang a little when on pavement when turning a sharp corner but Iíll put up with that just to know I have the added traction.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

What About Tires Upgrade??

My life with a 2WD 1/2 ton pickup had some slipppery moments, also. Because the were occasional and I am aware of the higher and additional repair potential costs with 4wd, I opted to go with genuine winter snow (certified snow and ice) tires in the winter and that truck now acts like a virtual snowmobile on those snow/ice and freezing rain days. I spent a little over $500 for four rims and top of the line major brand winter tires and winter drive problems are history! (see tirerack.com for addt'l info)

Same story for non-winter seasons. Toss away those "all season jokes" sold as tires. Buy a set of high traction major brand top of the line all terrain TRUCK (LT) tires. During spring, summer and fall, I am regularly using slippery boat ramps and driving/towing/parking in soft, or worse, horse pastures and haven't had a problem yet.

4wd is perfect for construction and agri. jobs where you can bet on regularly and frequently getting into deep muck. For the rest of us, 2wd is no problem if you have proper tires.
Ed
Old 03-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
I/we did a lot of 'sole-searching' into the 4wd/2wd question last year when we bought our new tow vehicle. We bought the 2wd only because it was all that was left with the diesel eng. we wanted (in'03 the 7.3 was my primary requirement for towing). With over 5K trailer towing miles (20K tot.) behind us we're pleased to have not needed 4wd at any time, the initial & operating cost savings are a bonus.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Iím not sure I understand all I know about this but why donít they offer a two-speed rear end and make it available in the larger trucks? I know I would enjoy using a little higher gear when not towing. My V-10 dually Ram gets10 miles/gal and a little less when towing.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

I should have mentioned earlier that my truck is equipped with Quadrasteer.

Regarding trading my truck in and buying the exact truck with a 4.10 option, that is really not an option. Although I purchased my truck at invoice with a $2,000 rebate and 60 month financing at 0% interest, the pay off is no where near what Kelley Blue Book says its worth. I guess what they say about depreciation is true.

I did speak to the GMC Service manager about changing the rear end and he said that it was not a possibility.

As I stated earlier, my truck is a great truck and I am very happy with it. It pulls the 28" International CCD fine, but I wouldn't ever try to fit my quad in the bed. I think that would be just too much weight. If I continue to pull and bring what I always bring now, I will always be happy. I am just always thinking about the possibility of a longer trailer.

I am going to stay with my truck and when the time comes, probably purchase the exact same model, but just with the 4.10 rear end. John had a great point when he mentioned that a big block might cost a lot more in the long run.

Thanks again for everyones comments.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #26
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Joshua and Twink,

my $0.02 worth.

You could always add a gear vendors overdrive off the back of the transmission. This is a bolt on unit and as long as you spring for a new/boneyard drive shaft to cut down you can pull it off prior to selling the truck.

The data that is published by the manufacturer shows gains in mileage as well as reductions in wear and tear. It would allow for a lower pulling gear with a change to a higher solo gear ratio than you currently have. Depending on the HP produced you may also be able to reduce the RPM while towing once you get the mass moving using the lower gear.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Interesting thought. I wonder how I could get more information on this?

Josh
Old 03-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Josh,

Try this link to the gear vendors site

I know camping world will do the install but there are other installers that they can recommend.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote