Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2019, 05:31 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
If you can tell the skill of an engineer by looking at his hands then that engineer needs to learn how soap and a nail brush work.

There's plenty of 18 year old Jiffy-lube techs with dirty and torn up hands, and I sure don't want them engineering anything more complicated than a sandwich.

I can take apart and rebuild just about anything out there and my hands look good. My hands (and brain) make my money, so I take care of both of them.
Ok, but you know what I’m talking about. Protecting hands from injury is one thing. A manicure is quite another. The smart ones borrow a pickup to drive to the interview and leave the Prius at home.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #102
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Ok, but you know what I’m talking about. Protecting hands from injury is one thing. A manicure is quite another. The smart ones borrow a pickup to drive to the interview and leave the Prius at home.
I hired a lot of design and product development engineers as well, in my last role. One drove a pickup, IIRC. The smart ones took transit.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #103
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post

Way off topic but we had an engineering student intern this past summer. He might know the keyboard and such but didn’t know any tool by name when he was offered a chance to watch a clutch install I did on my truck.

Made me wonder where is the spark in you for interest in the automotive aftermarket company that took you in for intern credit?

My choice, I bought my 2005 Dodge 5.9L CTD five years before my AS. CTD now has over 200K.

Not the fastest, or most powerful but when I open the hood I just grin.

OP good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #104
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Diesel is often cheaper than mid-grade gas, I think. Not often cheaper than the lowest grade gas.
Hi

In PA, you won't see *any* form of gasoline priced higher on a given pump than diesel unless it is by mistake. The total set of taxes (federal plus state plus local) on diesel is simply to high for that to happen.

Surrounding states have similar tax policies so a quick dodge over the boarder does not solve the problem. Indeed California is champion in this particular tax approach. I believe PA comes in second. I suspect we'll catch up soon enough.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
That’s a pretty extreme example. Driving from metro ATL to North GA today, I noticed large variations in the delta price between regular and diesel. Generally it varied from 10-20%.
Out west the delta is much less.
Diesel should be less because it costs less to produce however when the demand is up why not take advantage of it.
Here in the Chicago suburbs I seen the price fluctuate all summer long where the diesel was 15 % cheaper one week to flip being the same margin higher the next.
At this time of year the stock gets drawn down by diverting volume for heating oil which will drive the price of diesel up especial north east.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_A View Post
This has been a great thread I enjoyed reading all the comments and input everyone had. Just an update after looking at several used Gas powered trucks that did not check all the boxes we decided to go with the diesel. We are picking up the 2500 Chevy Silverado High Country tonight. Thank you for all the great input.
In the video link below, the guys at TFL Truck estimate that you need to tow at max load more than 100,000 miles before economics of differential fuel prices make diesel the winner. (Regional fuel prices and actual mpg will vary for everyone, but the general trend will still be directional for any gas vs. diesel comparisons.) So if you are towing for crazy miles every year, this could make financial sense. For many people, I imagine that total cost of ownership will be lower for the gasoline drivetrain.

However, there’s an environmental impact to your choice that I’ve not seen anybody in this tread mention: Carbon Footprint. If I use the numbers for the 2020 DuraMax in the video, I calculate that the gasoline truck creates 19% more CO2 per mile driven than the DuraMax does.

So, it appears you’ve made a good environmental decision as well.

https://youtu.be/vgniroEQ-Us
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #107
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
However, there’s an environmental impact to your choice that I’ve not seen anybody in this tread mention: Carbon Footprint. If I use the numbers for the 2020 DuraMax in the video, I calculate that the gasoline truck creates 19% more CO2 per mile driven than the DuraMax does.

So, it appears you’ve made a good environmental decision as well.
That is true if you limit environmental considerations to just GHG emissions. There are broader environmental and human health issues.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
Hard for me to swallow that we are discussing pennies per mile for TV costs after we paid 50-120k to own an Airstream. Drive what you want. For me , I prefer 3/4 ton diesel because it gives me piece of mind. I own both but prefer the diesel. If it cost me 8 cents per mile more to drive then so be it. I worked hard for my money and I can spend it however I choose. Regarding maintenance, I prefer to do all my own. I have done that since 1995 when I left a Firestone service center and my wheel fell off while merging onto the interstate. My 2012 f150 has never been back to the dealer since I bought it new. Same for my 2016 f250. Doing my own maintenance keeps me aware of my vehicle and also will help me be able to diagnose it if it ever fails to start. It is also a great bonding opportunity for my son and me so I can pass those skills on because one day he will be responsible for his family and I want him to know what to do if something goes wrong with his vehicle at night in the middle of nowhere. To each his own.
95TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I cannot help but wonder about people saying they do all of their own maintenance these days....any vehicle that I have purchased since about 2010 has required the manufacturer's proprietary computer software to do a lot of things. For example, on my Volvo, I cannot even reset the TPMS low pressure alarm..I have to take it to the dealer. When I added power towing mirrors to my truck, you had to access the electronic brain for the electrical part...to the dealer.
No question there is a lot of stuff one can do like oil, filters, replacing mechanical components and so on. But the days of doing your own tune-up and things electronic are long gone.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
Don't waste your time "wondering" about me. It is a hobby and one can be very resourceful utilizing YouTube and free diagnostic scanners from any of the auto parts store a. I do all of my tumeups on my vehicles and preventative maintenance. I purchased my own diagnostic readers and they are very reasonably priced. Maybe Ford is not as advanced as Volvo since they allow people to reset their own TPMS warning lights. Dealerships need people who choose not to do things themselves. As I said -to each his own.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TLC View Post
Don't waste your time "wondering" about me. It is a hobby and one can be very resourceful utilizing YouTube and free diagnostic scanners from any of the auto parts store a. I do all of my tumeups on my vehicles and preventative maintenance. I purchased my own diagnostic readers and they are very reasonably priced. Maybe Ford is not as advanced as Volvo since they allow people to reset their own TPMS warning lights. Dealerships need people who choose not to do things themselves. As I said -to each his own.
Amen. And I passed the skills on to my son, owns a garage now with all the proper tools.

As far as diesel vs gas, what guy doesn’t prefer the rumble of a diesel?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I cannot help but wonder about people saying they do all of their own maintenance these days....any vehicle that I have purchased since about 2010 has required the manufacturer's proprietary computer software to do a lot of things. For example, on my Volvo, I cannot even reset the TPMS low pressure alarm..I have to take it to the dealer. When I added power towing mirrors to my truck, you had to access the electronic brain for the electrical part...to the dealer.
No question there is a lot of stuff one can do like oil, filters, replacing mechanical components and so on. But the days of doing your own tune-up and things electronic are long gone.

Larry
Just as an FYI, I spent 30 seconds (including turning on my computer) and found about 20 YouTube videos on how to reset TPMS warning on Volvo's. I don't know if they are compatable with your Volvo or not. In case it happens again you may consider the same and maybe save a few dollars, save some time and learn something new about your car.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TLC View Post
Just as an FYI, I spent 30 seconds (including turning on my computer) and found about 20 YouTube videos on how to reset TPMS warning on Volvo's. I don't know if they are compatable with your Volvo or not. In case it happens again you may consider the same and maybe save a few dollars, save some time and learn something new about your car.
Thanks, but I looked at all of those, even recently, and it does not apply to the 2015 MY. All of the conventional methods just do not reset it. It has to be plugged into VIDA for the reset. Really a poor implementation, especially since you cannot even see the pressures. The Canadian model was a different story, works like current TPMS systems. I find your comment a bit insulting but but my dealer does it for free, also frustrated by the issue.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #114
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_A View Post
This has been a great thread I enjoyed reading all the comments and input everyone had. Just an update after looking at several used Gas powered trucks that did not check all the boxes we decided to go with the diesel. We are picking up the 2500 Chevy Silverado High Country tonight. Thank you for all the great input.
We went the diesel route too, but with Ford. A lot of the chatter boils down to what I refer to as the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument regarding the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. I do enjoy reading the banter!

Safe & happy travels.
ForteePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
BEAUMONT , TX
Congrats. You won't regret your choice.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
A lot of the chatter boils down to what I refer to as the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument regarding the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. I do enjoy reading the banter!.
I have to agree. A high school classmate works as a salesperson at one of the local RAM dealerships, he talked me into test driving one of the new RAM 2500 diesels, it was quite nice... as much as I enjoyed it, I just couldn't see spending the money. Then I had to get some minor service done on my truck and test drove one of the new 2020 Chevy 2500 HDs. I find it absolutely amazing how these big trucks feel so similar driving these days. I think it really boils down to your relationship with the dealer and what features/options you want. I don't think there's but a minor difference between these trucks these days.

If you haven't seen The Fast Lane Truck reviews on Youtube, these are well done and quite factual. Not too much of the banter and they do head-to-head reviews quite a bit.

(and for the record, I did end up with a 2020 Chevy... with the wife's blessings. )
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

In PA, you won't see *any* form of gasoline priced higher on a given pump than diesel unless it is by mistake. The total set of taxes (federal plus state plus local) on diesel is simply to high for that to happen.

Surrounding states have similar tax policies so a quick dodge over the boarder does not solve the problem. Indeed California is champion in this particular tax approach. I believe PA comes in second. I suspect we'll catch up soon enough.

Bob
Hey Bob, just to note that in MD it is generally true that 93 octane gas is more expensive than diesel. We paid a lot of attention to that over time because we chose an A6 diesel over the 3.0 gas engine (which requires premium). I am sure there are stations where that is not true, but for all the stations around me (in MD and VA) the diesel is priced between 87 and 93 octane gas.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Down this road

I have been down this road before and unless your pulling a lot and I mean a lot the diesel to me was the biggest waste of money in my 30 some years of RVing.
Diesel is more money and I never really seen that big of difference in mileage to off set the cost. Plus mine took 13 liters of oil plus fuel filter.

Granted more torque for towing heavy loads but I pull a 28 foot airstream for the last 8 years and my F150 5 liter works just fine. you may take the longer grades a bit slower but why rush.
Down long hills my transmission shifts down just fine in tow haul mode.
Also don't forget and people don't bring it up as much check weight of F150 versus any similar size diesel truck and see the weight difference your pushing along. My diesel at the time weighed at least 2000 lbs more then my gas trucks. More weight more fuel to push it.
Also I tow only so many miles a year and the cost of that diesel sitting doing nothing just don't justify having.
When my f150 is set up for towing properly I will not go back to a diesel ever unless I buy a heavy 5th wheel or trailer that requires it.
I would stick to a gas truck.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I hope the choice has turned out well so far for the original poster! We just switched from a 2017 F150 EB 3.5 to a 2019 F250 diesel. The 150 never had an issue with our 27' in the mild hills around Maryland/VA/WV/PA but the problem was payload. We had the Platinum (hey, the wife wanted the massaging seats and who am I to tell her no?) so that reduced the payload to about 1500#. That was marginal but if I'd have bought a less-fancy version it would have been fine.

We debated diesel vs gas for the F250 (we wanted to stick with Ford). As many have said, both have advantages and disadvantages and in the end there were barely any gassers for sale anywhere near me. The 2020 Fords are coming with a new larger gas engine but I couldn't wait (long story) so we went with the diesel. So far so good. Given the towing performance of the 3.5EB, I'm sure the gas would pull just fine. For sure the diesel pulls fantastic!

Not to sound snooty but we are on the AS forum; I do not expect my options to "break even". That goes for diesel vs gas and leather vs fabric seats or the 10 speaker stereo vs the 14 speaker stereo. I buy what I can afford and I like. As for maintenance, I have rebuilt a few engines but it is not something I enjoy or have a knack for so I'd rather let a professional do it. They provide the warranty so let them do the work.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #120
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At least with Ford, the modern F250 gas engines are quite happy with 85 octane fuel. No need for anything exotic. One never knows what is *really* coming out of the gas pump ( = it may be higher octane). That said, I have used enough 85 octane in states where it is sold to be comfortable with saying it works fine.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote