Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
well go read,

of course THAT personal experience is not with the 6 l or 8 liter, but rather a 70s 454...

that was TWEAKED TO THE MAX and moved at 80+ mph easily on the flats (even at altitude)

eat it with a shake of salt.

again since NO UPGRADES are planned what's the point of reports good or bad, just go and try it yourself.

Ok Air,

The 454 info is a great baseline for discussion. Based on your 454 experience, it was a carb correct? And the 70's Burbs (I assume you mean burb) had front disc brakes and rear drums correct?

So braking experience would be different than disc all around (how different I do not know but fade would be less than with drums).

Then there is the carb vs modern fuel injection. Again not sure how different it would be but naturally aspirated vs tuned port injection would also have a difference.

Also as you have pointed out many times its the total package. So what gears were you running and which tranny did you have? Did you have a multi pass tranny cooler installed? And what was your loaded weight on the TT?

My biggest concern with any tow in any location is stopping. Now braking should not be affected by altitude... it is simple friction and the difference in air density should not have as big of an effect on the cooling of the brakes as it does on the efficiency of combustion. So I would expect that high quality brake material that stops you at 2000 feet should stop you at 8000 feet (all things be equal, duration of braking, dropping from speed x to y etc). Ofcourse as with any situation you should drive according to conditions and on a long descent that may mean a change in braking charateristics and therefore driving style.

I do not understand how this will stress the steering system. Can you enlighten me?

As for modifications, the only 2 that seem to scientifically and financially (ie bang for the buck) make sense would be a change to 4.10 gears and if braking is an issue adding crossed drilled racing type rotors for additional cooling and grip.

I never said I was not going to make mods. I said I am not buying a new tow vehicle.

As for going slow and people tossing stuff at me or dirty looks, heck so far I have survived this post. I think I can handle that too...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wow, that was my Suburban...!

In 2005 we bought a new Safari 30 which wieghs 6880 totally empty and dry and rolling with our stuff and water tank is 7400lbs. (saw it up at 7800 one time). When we bought the trailer I bought a 03 2500 Suburban w/ 6.0 and 3.73s (stock tires). I picked the Safari up in south Florida and drove back to Texas with no issue,towed great. The next summer we went to Colorado and in a headwind or slight grade I was working the rig alot. I think if it had the 4.10s it would have been better. I will say that the 6.0 is a great motor despite all of the weird noises that it seems to make.

I used that suburban until 08 when I found a 29k mile 8.1 2500 4wd with 4.10s!! Whow now were talkin!! I can accelerate up 6% grades. Remarkably my mileage with the 8.1 and 6.0 is within 1mpg while towing, Suburban alone the mileage is much more different...more like 6 mpg. Luckily I use the big Sub for towing only unless I have to take the slumber party to the movies or something.

We have 4 kids so a Suburban is the best choice tow vehicle.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Oh one more thing,

When we started towing I started out with a 99 Suburban (new then) K1500 with 3.42 axles. Towing a 3500lb Coleman Utah camper it was impossible to tow in hill country without taking it out of Drive at every hill. I feel like "lugging" through gearing, that is gearing to be too tall is really hard on the rear ends as well as transmission temperatures.

I say change out your gearing to 4.10s and you will be in good shape in almost any conditions.

Your question brings a big question with the current brand new 3/4 ton Subs. They have a 3.73 rear end with the 6.0 and have the new 6 speed automatic transmission show a towing capacity of 9200lbs. I have been told that through the gearing of the new transmission it equates to a 4.10 rear end. I am skeptical, it appears the Suburbans best towing years have gone by the wayside.....
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
SafariSS,

Thanks for the input!!! So in CO even on the flat or slight grade you noticed the combo of 6.0 and 3.73 getting a work out. Any problems maintaining speed? Or issues with braking?

How about any pulls with a large change in elevation?

The 8.1 and 4.10's should scream. If I had that setup my only question would have been about the brakes on the steep grades.

________

I haven't paid much attention to the new burbs other than they got smaller. I wonder if the increased capacity has a lot to do with total vehicle weight reduction from the down size. But then the lighter weight and heavier trailer would have me worried about getting pushed around.

Had to look it up... 2010 2500 K curb weight 6551 lbs.... 2003 5796 lbs.... If you can believe the numbers on the internet......wow

Has to be the 2 extra gears.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
DaKarch

Yes the 6.0/3.73 did get a workout on the hills or headwind. I would always tow in the tow/haul mode but in Colorado and Wyoming I had to put it in 3 from Drive to stay around 55 mph and on some passes like Wolf Creek pass I got down to 35 on the climb. I do not think that the elevation is really a huge issue as the computer does a good job of adjusting for the mixture, but obviously the higher elevation makes less hp. The 6.0 never got hot and never used any oil no matter how hard hard I worked it, I put 82k on it. My 8.1 never gets hot either but does sip slight amounts of oil however most 8.1's do apparently from talking to a bunch of owners.

In regards to the brakes I have my trailer set up fairly well with the prodigy controller to come on easy and slowly build up. The newer generation GM trucks from 2000 up have awesome brakes in my opinion. I have had two pre 2k suburbans and two newer than 2k and the new 4 wheel disk brakes are awesome, they last and work great. I bled my old 2003 Suburbans brakes at about 60k miles and they had a much better firm feel. I think this is a good practice every two or three years, most european manufacturers recomend this as well.