Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
2018 Ford F-150 Tow Package Option Help (Newbie)

Hello Airstreamers! I just got my 19'FC and love it. the issue is i am not happy with the TV. I have a BMW X5 and when i drove the AS home i was not happy with how the BMW felt while towing the Airstream, even though i made sure that many people tow with a BMW X5 i was just not happy how it felt going up the hills. it felt to taxed and the AS was empty. I guess i put the cart before the horse. Sooooo.... I am going to buy a new Ford F-150. I have been doing my homework and the only thing i am not sure about is the 2 tow packages offered. there is the Tow Package and the Max Tow Package. they are just about the same but the Max Tow Package offers a 3.55 axle ratio vs a 3.31 for the standard tow package. they both have the break controller and fancy back up assist (which i need!!!).
So my long winded question is. For my 19' do i need the max towing package. do i need the 3.55 axel ratio. Just to make it more confusing for you guys i plan to keep the F-150 forever but will probably get a bigger AS 25'-27' in a few years so i want to make sure whatever TV i get it can pull a 27'. Not getting another TV..i learned my lesson.
Any input from you guys that have the F-150 with the standard tow package that wish they got the Max tow package would be great.
and i know nothing about axel ratios this is why i am asking as well. I think the bigger the ratio the more you can tow.

one last thing I plan to use the Airstream in the winter in the mountains here in Washington. If thats a factor. just thought i would add that as well. We are mountain people and need to be able to tow up the passes

thank you all so much for all your great advice to this newbie!

Brad
Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I can't comment on the difference only that I am happy with my 2016 F150 with max tow package and 3.55 axle with a 7050 GVWR Package. I am very happy pulling my 23 fb over any mountains here in the NW.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Dave i think i should go with the Max Tow Package to be safe!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
Another huge advantage of the Max Tow Package is the 36 gallon fuel tank. You can pretty much drive a full day towing without having to stop for fuel. Prior to the F150 I was towing with a 5.3L V8 six speed Chevy Tahoe. The difference has been "night and day". The Chevy struggled when towing up the smallest of hills. With the F150 you really don't even realize the trailer is behind you.
BearForceOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Details of Max Tow Package

Timely subject as I am looking at a 2018 Lariat with the maxtow package. Have looked for 2 days online and cannot find exactly what is included in Ford's maxtow package. Only thing that seems for sure is that it includes the large fuel tank. The sticker on the truck just says maxtow, no details as to exactly what items are part of it.

Any of you have any details???

Thanks in advance.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pam,

Just go eyeball to eyeball with the sales mgr and ask. I bet he/she blinks before you will.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
These are the additional benefits of the Max Tow Package over the standard tow package on the F150 (XLT trim or Higher) with 3.5 Tubocharged Ecoboost or 5.0L engine choices:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Engine oil cooler
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded rear bumper
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
I'm sure you noted extendable trailer tow mirrors are a separate add-on. When I spec'd and ordered my '17 F150 3.5 ecoboost, I went with a supercab, 6.5 bed, XL/STX trim and max tow pkg to maintain a reasonable payload number. Per the manufactured vehicle sticker, I have 1976 lbs to work with.
vlaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearForceOne View Post
These are the additional benefits of the Max Tow Package over the standard tow package on the F150 (XLT trim or Higher) with 3.5 Tubocharged Ecoboost or 5.0L engine choices:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Engine oil cooler
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded rear bumper
Thanks a lot Bear Force.. Exactly what I was looking for. Asked and answered.

Gary …… You know as well as I do that questions pertaining to the stuff that car people sell are usually a waste of good air! I have had to explain the meaning of PAYLOAD to no less than 4 of them in the last week.
And tell them where they could find the information. Open the driver's door...
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
My 2017 F150 XLT Ecoboost Supercrew with 5.5 bed and Max Tow Package gives me 1806 lbs of payload. You lose a little payload with the two extra full sized doors. I believe the two door long wheel base version has the most payload capacity; however, you lose a lot of conveniences by just having the two doors.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
One more question

Ok guys thank you so much for all your help! i really appreciate it! Now towing capacity question. If my axle is 3.55 and my wheel base is 145.0 and engine is the 3.5L ecoboost cab is SuperCrew what is the max towing capacity. the ford chart (i will add the link is confusing to a non car/truck guy) I don't understand what the GCWR(lbs.) is referring to. it shows a number of 18100 if thats the correct line of the chart i need to look at.
If i am reading it right...

3.5L EcoBoost 18100 3.55 axel shows i should be able to tow 12,700 lbs but the sales guy said 10,700. am i reading the chart wrong or was the sales guy clueless. or is 12,700 included in something that i don't understand.

Here is a link to the chart
https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-xlt/

scroll down to Specs then down to Maximum Conventional Towing Capabilities

Thanks again!
Brad
Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Bradley, we have a 2013 F150 3.5EB that pulls our 27FB just fine. With any F150, you will end up worrying about payload more than tow rating. Look on the door jam for the payload of the truck you are looking at. Newer F150s can have great payload ratings equivalent to old F250s if not more. Remember to count as payload your bodies, everything inside the truck, on top of the truck (including canopy, etc), everything in the back of the truck and the tongue weight of your trailer (reduced for your weight distribution hitch).

We have 1100 pounds available in our Platinum trimmed truck which is making us look at either a properly outfitted F150 Lariat or moving to a F250 to allow us to move to a different trailer sometime in the future.

All that being said, I’ve heard the X5 is a great tow vehicle so have you worked through the hitch setup fully? It might be worth taking it down to Torklift Central in Kent before spending a $50K on a new truck. Good luck.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Walt thank you for all that info its priceless. Torklift in Kent did the instal of the hitch i know its set up correct but i fell like i don't want to trash the BMW more then i need to its a really great car and i kinda want a truck I know its $45K for the one i want but i would feel better in the mountains with a truck. And better in the campgrounds with a truck vs a BMW with a airstream. I understand that airstreamers already have a snob reputation at campgrounds from the other SOB trailer owners and a BMW towing one won't help that case
Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The *only* way you will know what the weight of *your* truck is to look at the sticker on the door post of that truck or on an exactly identical truck. The web site and spec sheet information is totally useless for working this out. ( = they always underestimate the weight ). Since weight is where all the "payload" stuff comes from, that's equally suspect.

The "big deal" with the max tow is the locking rear axle. In a lot of cases it will get you out of things that a 4WD will not.

Be aware that the BMW is *very* capable. In a lot of ways it *is* a better tow vehicle than an F-150. You may be trading down rather than trading up ..... Yes, a lot depends on exactly what maneuver you are doing and precisely what options are on both vehicles.

As you head towards the 27' end of your range, you likely will want an F-250 rather than an F-150.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Bradley, also do some searches on this forum for F150. There are some spreadsheets people have put together that estimate your payload with different options. That is, if you are ordering a truck. If you are picking one off the lot, new or used, go by the door sticker for payload ratings and don’t let the sales staff point back to brochure numbers. I found a salesman at Bowen Scarff in Kent who also tows and has been literally the only gentleman to give me straight answers because he knows from experience. PM me if you want his name. Because of bum advice when we bought, we got a truck that is too heavy (Platinum trim) and the wrong gears. Thankfully, ecause the capabilities of the F150 EcoBoost is so good the only thing that really affects us is payload restrictions. But because we are making longer trips and want to bring more stuff with us we find it insufficient.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #16
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The *only* way you will know what the weight of *your* truck is to look at the sticker on the door post of that truck or on an exactly identical truck. The web site and spec sheet information is totally useless for working this out. ( = they always underestimate the weight ). Since weight is where all the "payload" stuff comes from, that's equally suspect.
Listen to Bob.

I have a 2018 F150 (Supercrew, 6.5' bed, max tow, 502a) and it was a bear to get a real payload number before I ordered the truck. Best information I could find was on youtube videos (found someone with my exact truck) and also f150forums.com linked me to a dealer that posts pictures of all their payload stickers.

A lot depends on options. If you get the basic package, you can get "max payload" (not the same as max tow) which will give you really really really great payload numbers (like 2500 pounds!)... but if you want all the leather and gizmos, that max payload package is not available.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a Super Crew F150 XLT Max Tow haul. I tow 28’ AS. My payload load is 1760lbs. That’s perfectly sufficient for my needs at this point. The OP will have no problem towing a 19’ AS even with the F150 tow haul. Personally if I was pulling a 19’ AS I would get a nice SUV. Why get a F150 that can tow 10,000 lbs? Overkill IMHO. The 19’FC has a max capacity of 4500lbs. The SUV ride would be more comfortable as an everyday driver and it would be easier to maneuver in gas stations, etc. Actually I would consider getting a used Ford Expedition or a Yukon with a 19’ AS.

Think about how often you are actually going to tow the AS before you buy. The more you tow and the longer you are out on the road probably the more payload is an issue. But if you are mostly a weekender or a week at a time the less payload is an issue.

Having said that if you plan on carrying lots of stuff in the truck bed then you could save some money by getting a 5.0L V8 or even a 2.7L Ecoboost. Plenty of power for a 19’ AS.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed buying a truck for the small trailer you have and the much larger trailer you might go to is a bit of a stretch. To the degree that the BMW has issues with the smaller AS, you will have at least as many issues with a much larger trailer and a fairly normal F-150.

These days, there actually isn't as much difference between F-150 and F-250. There's almost zero difference between the F-250 and F-350. Each one covers a different *range* so a big F-350 is very different than a small F-250 payload wise. Interior / options / ride are all a lot more similar at the "big this / small that" points than they ever were in the past.

So, yes, you *can* get the sort of truck people seem to like to run a big trailer with. You can get one that rides and handles much like a smaller truck. You *will* pay for the size difference and the gas miles will not be as good. You can get a really big power plant that will let you zoom uphill like crazy. Downhill wise .... they seem to have a lot of common parts in the brake systems across the lineup .... Your BMW may stop shorter.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I was sort of in the same situation as you a few years ago.

I had a Nissan Pathfinder (5000lb tow capacity) and bought a 19'. It towed OK, but lacked oomph on hills.

Bought an 3.5L EcoBoost F150 Lariat - but no max tow package. It's worked fine and I subsequently sold the 19' and bought a 27FB, which it tows competently.

The lease is up and I've ordered my new 2018 F150 - mostly the same specs as the prior one, but did opt for the Max Tow Package (price differential is minimal, so no reason not to). As another person pointed out - make sure you spec the tow mirrors - oddly, they are not included in the tow packages and must be ordered as a separate item.

Here's the current, 2018 Ford Towing Guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Bradley, also do some searches on this forum for F150. There are some spreadsheets people have put together that estimate your payload with different options.
The F-150 forum has a thread asking owners to post the payload of their trucks. This is a link to that thread. Has a spreadsheet that includes, to the extent the responder listed them, the options on the truck, engine, body spec, etc.

If you can afford it and it gives you enough payload, the "active motion" seats that are available on the Platinum level trim are WONDERFUL. After a couple hours of driving, turning them on for a massage gets the kinks out!

And as otherwise noted, tow mirrors are a separately ordered item - they are NOT in any tow package. The OEM power tow mirrors are nice.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538/