Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_ View Post
Have a look at ford’s towing guide, page 19 where it shows that 20” wheels extend the max towing capacity: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf

Look for all those #11 footnotes connected to towing capacity and 20” wheels
I don't see anything about PAYLOAD on page 19. (am I missing something?) When I ordered my 2018 F150 Ecoboost, max tow, super crew, etc., the only way my dealer could figure what the payload would be, was to add up the weight of all the options, (chart available from Ford.) Start with the maximum payload rating (2030 lbs for my truck,) less total actual option content weight, equals net total vehicle payload.
The 20" wheels and tires weigh more than the 18" wheels and tires, thereby lowering the payload.
We love our truck, its the 3rd Ecoboost we've had. We have driven from Florida Keys to San Juan Islands north of Seattle, and lots of places in between, does great in the mountains and everywhere else, but watch your payload, the option weight adds up fast.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I created a spreadsheet based on all the option numbers from ford. Then I was able to select options and see what the weights came out to. I also have a section that I tossed into estimate some payload usage. I calculated 2299# on the truck I ordered. Actual came out to 2284#.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MldhH6IDOYhy_0
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
I created a spreadsheet based on all the option numbers from ford. Then I was able to select options and see what the weights came out to. I also have a section that I tossed into estimate some payload usage. I calculated 2299# on the truck I ordered. Actual came out to 2284#.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MldhH6IDOYhy_0

Nice job. I know from experience that that ain't easy.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Nice job. I know from experience that that ain't easy.

Another way to see what your payload would be, is to build the truck you want with the options you want online. Then have your dealer locate a truck on another dealerships lot that has the same options that you want, or something very close to the same. My dealership then called the dealership with the similar truck and asked them to send a picture from the door jam showing the payload . Worked great and less trouble than adding and subtracting from the options weight chart. I am friends with my dealerships owner, so he made the calls, and the other dealerships have always been very glad to help him out. But any salesman or manager should be able to do this.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

State College , PENNSYLVANIA (PA)
We have an 18 F150 XLT super crew with max tow, towing mirrors, 6.5 foot bed, etc. Just used it on a trip to Maine (from PA) and it was 10x better than the 2011 Silverado (5.3 liter) we had. We managed 12.8 mpg on the way up and 11.5 mpg on the way home towing a 25' International. We had a pretty good headwind on our way home. I didn't push it and we really weren't that heavy with payload and what not. Stayed at 65 mph and along some stretches was closer to 62 mph. Just depended on traffic and road conditions. The thing that amazed me was how well the 10 speed transmission worked and how it knew where it needed to be. The truck basically stayed between 8th and 9th gear along most of the roads and would drop down to 6th and 7th on some of the inclines. Overall, was really impressed with how quiet it was and we could talk normally. With my Silverado, we would have spent a fair amount of time in 3rd gear to get up hills and it would get loud enough at that RPM range that it starts to disrupt a conversation.

Also really liked the 36 gallon tank. Felt like you could really get some time in behind the wheel without having to think about stopping to get gas.
GSP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
My dealership then called the dealership with the similar truck and asked them to send a picture from the door jam showing the payload .

I had no such luck. I found dealerships in BC to be very reluctant to go out and get a pic of the sticker. They usually stick to quoting the marketing numbers. One dealer even told me initially the truck was on the lot if I wanted to come by, and after I pushed and pushed, they then called me back saying it was on a storage lot outside the city.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Ada , MICHIGAN
I have a 2018 f150 with 2.7 ecoboost with 25' international. Just towed 700 mi. fairly hilly (upper Michigan). towed great 12 to 14 mpg. Maybe I'm crazy but it was no problem. 60 to 65 mph depending on roads.
xtcbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_ View Post
That’s wonderful. I hope you noticed the specific item we were talking about: there are different towing ratings for 17, 18, and 20” wheels - and how you can only reach the 13,200 towing limit with 20” wheels. I’m sure you can have a long, interesting conversation with ford engineers about all the unrelated items you saw.
Ford really needs to clean up they’re information, they have a lot of old data mixed in with current stuff. As far as the 20 in. tires and wheels used on the Max Tow pkg, they will surprisingly produce a high cornering stiffness because of the short side wall and wide contact patch. This and being more aesthetically appealing to consumers is the reason why Ford uses them on the Max Tow. The down side is they don’t have the payload capacity of the LT and rough, off-road traveling can be a problem.
The SAE j2807 tow ratings is a standardized test procedure to be used as a “on paper comparison” between trucks of the same class. The specs and equipment in the standard purposely optimize maximum GCWR which doesn’t represent how most consumers will ever use the vehicle.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas

Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
My dealership then called the dealership with the similar truck and asked them to send a picture from the door jam showing the payload .

I was trying to say have the dealer where you are going to purchase your truck, locate a truck with the options you want at a different dealership, somewhere in the U.S. We have done this more than once. So that way you can get a very close estimate as to what your payload will be before you special order a truck. It would be like one dealer helping out another dealer, not a situation where a customer calls the dealer for a picture. It probably did't hurt that the owner of my Ford dealership is a friend of mine and personally called the other dealerships for me. Any sales manager should be able to do this, especially if it helps them sell a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
I had no such luck. I found dealerships in BC to be very reluctant to go out and get a pic of the sticker. They usually stick to quoting the marketing numbers. One dealer even told me initially the truck was on the lot if I wanted to come by, and after I pushed and pushed, they then called me back saying it was on a storage lot outside the city.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Ford really needs to clean up they’re information, they have a lot of old data mixed in with current stuff. As far as the 20 in. tires and wheels used on the Max Tow pkg, they will surprisingly produce a high cornering stiffness because of the short side wall and wide contact patch. This and being more aesthetically appealing to consumers is the reason why Ford uses them on the Max Tow. The down side is they don’t have the payload capacity of the LT and rough, off-road traveling can be a problem.
The SAE j2807 tow ratings is a standardized test procedure to be used as a “on paper comparison” between trucks of the same class. The specs and equipment in the standard purposely optimize maximum GCWR which doesn’t represent how most consumers will ever use the vehicle.
The 20s are optional with Max Tow, at least for a Lariat. It may be that 20s are standard on the KR, I'd have to look it up, but the Lariat with Max Tow comes with 18s by default.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
This is interesting: Coming....2019 Ford F150 Limited: Raptor engine with 450hp and 510lbs of torque.

It will be spendy however. $63,000 minimum.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
This is interesting: Coming....2019 Ford F150 Limited: Raptor engine with 450hp and 510lbs of torque.

It will be spendy however. $63,000 minimum.
I read that this morning. If they're going to put the HO into a non-Raptor it should be the XLT with HD Payload, but that would make too much sense. The Limited is already more than powerful enough for anything you can realistically put on its hitch even going a bit over payload IMHO.

It may be that the next-gen 3.5s will all be the equivalent of that HO though. Considering what they do with it in the GT there's a lot more power available from it, if they can make it last at those numbers. My partner's car delivers 603 hp/627 ft-lb from 4 liters, but won't tow the Flying Cloud.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I read that this morning. If they're going to put the HO into a non-Raptor it should be the XLT with HD Payload, but that would make too much sense. The Limited is already more than powerful enough for anything you can realistically put on its hitch even going a bit over payload IMHO.

It may be that the next-gen 3.5s will all be the equivalent of that HO though. Considering what they do with it in the GT there's a lot more power available from it, if they can make it last at those numbers. My partner's car delivers 603 hp/627 ft-lb from 4 liters, but won't tow the Flying Cloud.
I would agree. My payload on my XLT is about #1850. Just about the same as some 3/4 tons. And I have a super crew! It seems to me they should give an option for beefing up the brakes on the F150. Then if they gave it more HO and torque, I really don't see the need for a 3/4 ton.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
We have owned 2 F-150s with EcoBoost

You will have plenty of torque but your mpg will go to sub ten. Would be ok for short trips but very expensive for long trips and in the mountains. Also there is no engine brake and the suspension of an F-150 will be maxed out.

Our Ram 2500 w/ Cummins 6.7 is PERFECT for our 27'
GypsyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #35

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyCan View Post
We have owned 2 F-150s with EcoBoost

You will have plenty of torque but your mpg will go to sub ten. Would be ok for short trips but very expensive for long trips and in the mountains. Also there is no engine brake and the suspension of an F-150 will be maxed out.

Our Ram 2500 w/ Cummins 6.7 is PERFECT for our 27'
Ah, the FUD! The OP is towing a 25. I tow a 26U with a 2017 Ecoboost F150. The suspension is not "maxed out". It's not hitting the bumpstops, it's not unlevel or low-riding when hitched. It has big disk brakes and weighs much less than your RAM, so it has lots of excess capacity for braking. It drives quite well on flat roads and mountain roads. It's well within weight specs with the hitch adjusted properly. I average 10.5-11 mpg towing about 68 mph the only time it's been "sub 10" in 8k miles of towing is in the mountains or if I have a big headwind and am not in the mood to slow down.

I've no doubt that your RAM does very well towing, and delivers better MPG than my F150 would doing it. I've also no doubt that I made the right choice for my use-case, and that I would never pay off the difference in cost of an equivalent diesel (top Lariat trim with some options) in fuel economy over the ~8-10 years I'll have the truck.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin

The difference between owning a diesel and a gas.

This video explains essentially why I bought a gas engine at this point in my life. Unless you are towing a great deal a diesel makes no sense.

Also my 2017 F150 gets between 11 and 13 mpg towing. Probably average 12. I pull a 28'. Granted if someone is constantly in the mountains then a diesel may make more sense. But for most towing a diesel is a really expensive option.

And when I'm not towing I get 22 to 23mpg.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #37

2004 25' Safari
Steger , Illinois
Yes it would I have a 2014 F1 50 echo boost and I PUll my 25 foot Safari .👍
harleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Poulsbo , Washington
A good towing mirror option for F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
I second what DKB_SATX said. I've been towing an International 27FB for a year now with a 2017 F-150 Lariat (3.5 L EcoBoost, Max Tow, 36 gallon tank, Trailer Backup Assist, etc.). Gas mileage is about what DKB_SATX cited: 18-19 mpg around town, 12 mpg when towing. I've had zero problems since day one, and it pulls like a champ up hill and down.

My only complaint about the truck is that the tow mirrors (electric retractable) should be longer. I don't have as good a view behind the trailer as I'd like. I'm having a Voyager rear-view camera installed next week to at least partially remedy that.
Response:
I have the exact same truck - 2017 Lariat 3.5 with max towing, 36 gallon tank, technology package, blue ox and towing a 2017 25 FT RB Twin FC. Tows just great, no issues whatsoever. However, this truck isn't really offered with towing mirrors, and I missed them. So, I ordered these and they work great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just slip them on when towing and store them away when not towing. They fit the chrome Ford mirrors perfectly and won't scratch the finish.

Just an idea worth considering!

-------------------------------------
dford77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
New Smyrna , Florida
Be cautious if you are towing in hot weather and in the mountains or long inclines. I have a 2017 3.5 Ecoboost with a 25 Flying Cloud and in temps in the low to mid 90's the engine reaches the point where you get a reduced power warning ( no turbo boost) and you have 3 options reduce speed dramatically, pull over and cool down or the engine will just go into power reduction.

Check out the You Tube video. This is not a one off issue and my local Ford dealer has no fix and Ford is not seeing or recognizing the problem.
Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #40

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dford77 View Post
Response:
I have the exact same truck - 2017 Lariat 3.5 with max towing, 36 gallon tank, technology package, blue ox and towing a 2017 25 FT RB Twin FC. Tows just great, no issues whatsoever. However, this truck isn't really offered with towing mirrors, and I missed them. So, I ordered these and they work great! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just slip them on when towing and store them away when not towing. They fit the chrome Ford mirrors perfectly and won't scratch the finish.

Just an idea worth considering!

-------------------------------------
I'm not sure what you mean by "this truck isn't really offered with towing mirrors." Perhaps you're trying to say lots of dealers don't stock trucks with towing mirrors? *THAT* would be true, since lots of people are buying trucks today just to drive to their white-collar jobs and never tow anything, but these trucks are in fact offered with towing mirrors. You can see mine in the photo, power mirrors with power fold and power telescoping, option code on my truck is 59S, a $250 option (there are different codes for the manual-folding ones and the ones without cameras in them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluejeans_mirrors.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	318343