Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
Increase in fuel mileage from a Triton to a Eco Boost pulling?????

My 5.4 would tow our 30' FC and get 12 to 13 mpg, just took our maiden voyage with our 2016 Eco Boost and averaged 9 mpg. I'm not a happy camper.
Test.

Run a route solo with same load as when towing (use Scale to check). Same cruise control set speed.

Run the same when hitched up.

Should be about a 40% penalty.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm getting slightly better mpg (hand-calculated around 11 mpg) towing a wider, much-heavier trailer than I was with the '07 5.4L Triton that returned 10 mpg on a good day, and the new truck is 4WD to boot. I generally run between 65 and 70 when I can (yes I know about ST tires and take appropriate action regarding that.) I find I get slightly better mpg in 8th unless it's perfectly flat and/or there's a tailwind.

Old: 2007 F150 Supercrew short box w/ tow pkg, 5.4L Triton V8 and 3.55 limited-slip diff, 2WD, towing 24' Argosy.

New: 2017 F150 Supercrew short box w/ Max Tow, 3.5L Ecoboost and 3.55 e-locker, 4WD towing a 26U Flying Cloud.

To use as an example:

Should also note that climate and terrain is South Central United States. Pretty well optimum.

Given that travel speed, what was average speed (engine hours versus distance) for a better analysis?

And, per 100-miles, number of steering corrections (include in that "lane changes") as well as use of brakes per 100-miles (excepting entrance and exit from highway). This goes to conditions. Both those encountered and quality of equipment as well as skill in lash-up.

If a slightly lower travel speed decreases those applications and yet results in little to no change in average speed, the "test" is yet to be done as to MPG. (Same for equipment and hitch skills).

As above, what difference from solo at the same speed as loaded over the same or similar route?

What does the TV weigh when towing (less hitch weight)? The only difference on the TV should be hitch weight (to isolate TT weight and aero resistance).

The REAL number is the percentage drop from solo to towing. But factors must be controlled.

The same rig in WV or UT will not see the same (all else identical) due to climate and terrain.

Find AVERAGE speed. Find % change.

Now it's real. Not otherwise.

To the OPs Q: 10 trumps six. But will it be quantified in a lower fuel bill? You've thus far no answers to that part of the question.

The difference on my wholly different rig was the models prediction of 40%. But it had to be tested to confirm. This is how to make comparisons across colder and warmer regions plus mountainous versus plains. Etc.

And, if it's 40%, with these trailers it can be bettered. Driver skill enhancement. In the truck industry, all else the same, the better drivers are as much as 30% better than the worst.

Always room for improvement.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
farsid9

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Williamson , New York
Been trailering for 25+ yrs. Just pulled a 25' Bullet to Napa and back (Rochester NY) with a 2016 3.5 Eco. Unbelievable torque and smooth power, especially uphill. Averaged 9 mpg into horrible wind [most of the way out]. 13 mpg coming back. As far as the 6 cyl - F150 goes.. it is the best towing vehicle I have ever owned. [However, never towed a trailer or boat over 8000 lbs.] Hope this helps.
farsid9 is offline   Reply With Quote