Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
2016 Volvo XC90 specs released

For those waiting to see if the next generation Volvo XC90 is up to the task, here are some configurations and numbers just released today:

T8: The all-wheel drive, seven-seat SUV will offer a top of the range plug-in hybrid model that will carry the T8 badge and will combine a 2.0-liter four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged Drive-E petrol engine powering the front wheels and an 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor driving the rear wheels. Combined output stands at an impressive 400hp and 640 Nm (472 lb-ft) of torque. - Don't expect to go far with that AWD though... range for the all electric mode is 25 miles, but it might come in handy when stuck on the freeways in LA.

The XC90 lineup will consist of other four-cylinder petrol and diesel Drive-E engines as well, including the D5 twin turbo diesel engine with 225hp and 450 Nm (332 lb-ft) of torque which returns 6 l/100 km (39.2 mpg US), as well as the D4 turbo diesel engine with 190 hp and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque which averages around 5 l/100 km (47 mpg US). - Don't expect to see Diesels in the US version (maybe Canada) at least the first year of release...

Volvo will also offer two petrol engines, a T6 turbo engine with supercharger and turbo with 320 hp and a maximum torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft), and a T5 with 254 hp and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque.

Enough guts? You tell me. The full reveal will be this fall at the Paris Auto show, US debut at the LA show around Thanksgiving.

Full story here: 2016 Volvo XC90 Gets an All 4-Cylinder Engine Lineup, Including 400HP Plug-In Hybrid - Carscoops
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Another likely scenario for creeping along in all electric mode would be touring the National parks like Yosemite, which is particularly prone to traffic jams and foul air in the summer. It would be interesting to see if public policy might someday favor those running or capable of running in zero emission mode.

I find it interesting that the T8 hybrid appears to be the ONLY AWD option available... Not sure how that will sell in Minnesota!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Another likely scenario for creeping along in all electric mode would be touring the National parks like Yosemite, which is particularly prone to traffic jams and foul air in the summer. It would be interesting to see if public policy might someday favor those running or capable of running in zero emission mode.

I find it interesting that the T8 hybrid appears to be the ONLY AWD option available... Not sure how that will sell in Minnesota!
I haven't seen a new two wheel drive pickup or SUV for sale in Minnesota for some time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Just to clarify, I was wondering how the FWD models would sell in Minnesota, as these are likely to be the less expensive models with less powerful motors. With the exception of the T8 which has two motors, the others are similar except for the level of supercharging or turbocharging. All are 4 cylinder.

I have observed that the Swedes themselves seem perfectly content with their FWD station wagons (non-SUV), but for some reason Volvo assumes Americans prefer SUVs (perhaps they do). They also assume that Americans don't want Diesels... Which is just plain wrong.

The move to the 4 cylinders is an attempt to placate the SUV buyers that insist on better mileage. The older engines just don't cut it anymore in the race for better mileage. But unless they offer an option for the new Drive-E 4 cylinder gasser models with AWD, I just don't see folks shelling out 80K for a hybrid just to get AWD.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Here's a bit more courtesy of Car and Driver: "Six driving modes are available on Volvo’s new vertical touch screen, four of which debuted on the V60 plug-in. Pure puts the XC90 in EV-only mode, Hybrid does just what it says, and Power triggers the gasoline engine to run more often. The Save mode recharges the battery while driving so that it can regain full strength without stopping at a charging station (Volvo wouldn’t confirm the mileage gain, but the V60 plug-in promises up to 12 extra electric miles in this mode). Two more modes, AWD and Off Road, play with the front/rear torque split. Volvo also wouldn’t explain how the XC90 T8 normally divides power, but we’re thinking those settings attempt to re-create a conventional all-wheel-drive setup with fixed ratios. Don’t count on seeing a diesel version of the “twin engines” configuration for the U.S., probably ever."

I can see the Save mode coming in handy on those long downhill grades with tons of potential energy stored up in the trailer. Engine and regen braking would be awesome!

Can't wait to see the towing specs.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Why would you buy a Volvo???? I work on them and would never use one to go out in the wild with. When not if they break you need special software to fix them. Cost me 800.00$$$ a month to use it. More shops are not working on them anymore just because of that. Also you can not move parts from one car to another so when it comes time to get rid of it the whole thing goes to land fill. VERY non enviromental good cars and SUVs. Just my 2 cents
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Why would you buy a Volvo???? I work on them and would never use one to go out in the wild with. When not if they break you need special software to fix them. Cost me 800.00$$$ a month to use it. More shops are not working on them anymore just because of that. Also you can not move parts from one car to another so when it comes time to get rid of it the whole thing goes to land fill. VERY non enviromental good cars and SUVs. Just my 2 cents
I'll take it at face value. Lets just say I am happy that my Son in law in Sacramento found a competent mechanic who found a replacement motor to keep my former 2001 Volvo V70 XC on the road another several years and several hundred thousand miles...

Have owned 4 of them and every one has been safe and reliable. Never had a problem finding a Volvo shop (Dealer or otherwise.) Great cars and above all else, extremely safe and COMFORTABLE. I also love Mercedes so sue me for being a euro-car lover.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Volvo is a very nice car. They are also VERY safe. Saw a video of XC90 being tested for rollover damage. The SUV rolled maybe 5 times and the cabin was still intact. The AWD is good too. The company has had several bad years (change in ownership, etc.) and Subaru took advantage and cut into their customer base, but I think Volvo are making a comeback. I agree, that like all European cars, they are not the easiest to work on. But I think the positives seriously outweighs the negatives. Volvo introduced the first modern three point seat belt in 1959 as standard equipment. They have been revolutionary in many ways.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm currently in the market for a 07-10 XC-90 V8. I like the Yamaha motor and the Aisan 6 sp auto beside it is bulletproof. If anyone knows of a sweet deal on one with low kms, let me know.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #10

Richmond , British Columbia
Towing capacity is 5,952
smsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote