Old 07-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
2016 Sierra 2500

Hi everybody. I retired 2 weeks ago and I got on the day of my retirement a new Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax. We will get our new 2017 Flying Cloud 27FB in August. I am telling you It is a very very long wait. The truck will be equipped with a Fibrobec Wild cab to carry all the sporting goods in a protected cab. This is my first trailer and my towing experience is limited to trailering boats and trailers of less than 3000 pounds.
I am looking for recommendations on the equipment to tow the trailers and any other recommendations a neophyte like me may need to be safe and enjoy the trips.
Thanks to all airstreamers for your attention.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
See any of the threads about ProPride or Hensley hitches. You will want a WDH/anti sway hitch. Also the folks at Can-Am RV London, ON (Andy) http://www.canamrv.ca can guide you with the hitch setup.

ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

I recently inspected a 2016 2500 GMC Denali XL at our local dealership and was surprised to see P rated 'eco' tires to improve MPG's....ck make sure your's are rated for your load.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I have a similar setup; and live down the road (2 hours)
I'd be happy to share my experiences.
Feel free to private message me; exchange numbers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00348.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	267296  

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
We're taking one for a 1-2 day test drive this weekend. I think we're certainly comfortable that it will be an excellent tower, we just want to be sure we're comfortable managing it around town. We do live in town, so there will be some special parking lots to contend with I'm sure, but since we're already accustomed to a Yukon XL, I suspect we can manage the truck. Who likes parking close to the front door anyway
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I have a 2015 GMC 2500 with the Duramax and already have close to 15,000 miles towing a 28' Flying Cloud.
Cannot say enough about how well the Duramx pulls the trailer. Drives without any hesitation even going through the route 70 passes in CO. Smooth, quiet, effortless.

Last trip was from Melbourne Beach, FL to Portland, OR. Around 8,000 total miles. Ran at 75 where speed limit was 75 and got 13mpg at 75. My old GMC 5.7L gas half ton would eat gas at around 9-10mpg at this speed. Overall my trip computer said 13.4 after the 8,000 , miles.
I do not use any type of anti sway hitch. Just hook the trailer to the ball. No sway and no broken back putting the contraption together. I would recommend you try towing with an anti sway and without and make your own decision. The 3/4 Chevy is heavy enough to control the load, where a 1/2 ton does not have the mass.
You made a great decision and you will never sell the truck.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Just pulled the trigger on one today....haven't taken possession yet. Looking forward to it!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We pulled the trigger on a 2016 2500 Denali a few weeks ago. They had a nice rebate going in June and with a supplier discount as well we did OK. We love the truck so far, the update in the electronic features alone over our 2008 Tundra is amazing. We promptly took it to Montana where it handled the steep and windy I-90 mountains in Wyoming and Montana with aplomb (though with only a drift boat attached).

Now I'm busy switching the shank on my Equalizer hitch out for the 2 1/2" version and prepping an initial hookup to our FC to see if I need to take a couple of washers out of the equation.

In choosing the GMC we drove the other brands extensively, did our research of reviews and ratings, and came to our own conclusion. Fact is that all three brands of heavy duty truck have good things about them.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I think can am can set you up with an eazlift hitch, might be all you need.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFC View Post
In choosing the GMC we drove the other brands extensively, did our research of reviews and ratings, and came to our own conclusion. Fact is that all three brands of heavy duty truck have good things about them.
That's a very true statement. I've been jonesing for a diesel and have debated the whole RAM 1500 ecoDiesel or stepping up to a 250/2500. Like you did a lot of research and test rode them. At the end of the day, all the ton trucks are really awesome. I ended up (just today in fact) with a fully decked out Chevy 2500 LTZ diesel. I loved my Sierra 1500 and thought very seriously about the RAM 2500, but liked the GM a bit more.

However... I think today's diesels are all pretty much top dogs regardless of brand, and, at least for me, it came down to little things in the cabin and price.

-Wayne
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Yep!! For us it came down to the look of the GMC 2500 that we just personally loved & also since our other daily driver is a Yukon XL, it's sort of nice to have pretty much all the same "buttons" inside. The truck has a few more gadgets for towing, etc.. but my husband is NOT a huge tech user and will get fussy when he can't figure out how to work all the new tech toys. Since he already knows how to operate the dash of the Yukon XL, the Sierra 2500 will be VERY much the same and there is something to be said for the ease of use there
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I made a lot of reading and tests drive before selecting the Denali HD with Duramax. I look for the fully loaded F150 or GMC 1500 and RAM 1500. I paid $3000 Cdn more for the 2500. The price of going to the 2500 worthed it. So never hesitate to go for a 3/4 ton truck if it is dedicated for towing. The Ford F250 is the one having the most capacities but is the more expensive to maintain and the less comfortable. It is a truck and drives like a truck. The RAM 2500 is the one with the best combination of engine and transmission and it is fun to drive but the suspension and brakes are not very robust and it is the one with the lowest capacities. The GMC 2500 is the most comfortable, having the more reliable combination of engine and transmission and the one with the best fuel millage. Verify the capacity you need. It could be the deciding factor. You can go up to the 3500 for just a $1000 more. Loosing some comfort but going up in capacities. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Pre trailer road trip in 2500 denali dielsel

We took our truck out over the last few days for a 700 mile round trip, road trip. We got it about 3 weeks ago and made sure we hit the 500 mile mark before we went over 50-55. The trailer does not come in for a few weeks and we wanted to test the long distance comfort of just the truck. It passed with flying colors. Very comfortable as the passenger. It was very easy to drive while working the radio, air and navigation system (zooming in or out-only). The back support is probable better than any car I have had. It is a bigger beast than we have driven in a long time but was easy to maneuver in each town we drove through and easy to park.
Our trip was from Austin, Tx to Tyler, Tx (my husband grandparents lived there) to the Toledo Bend Reservoir on the La side and back to Austin. The return was over the water of the reservoir, through Sabine National Forest, Angelina National Forest and Davy Crockett National Forest. It was a nice drive through the scrub sparse areas of West Tx landscape to the tall pines of East Tx.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
We've been on the road now for 3 months and over 3500 miles with our new Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax and love it. We did a year's research before purchase, and feel we made a wise choice. Power, Payload, and comfort were key, and this vehicle has it in spades. We are using a Pro-pride hitch system, and NEVER experience sway, semi blow by, or any high wind white knuckle events...just crazy drivers who like to slide in and out of lanes without signalling or forethought for that matter!