Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
nanoose bay , British Columbia
2016 Range Rover sport diesel for towing

Hi, Im considering a Range rover sport with the TDI engine to tow my 27' FB interntional Serenity. Right now using my Touareg TDI and its OK with equilizer blue ox hitch. The RR has air suspension but looking for anyone with experience towing with one of these new Range Rover TDI's. Thanks

Old 05-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
A few people around here have Range Rovers and Land Rovers and tow modern ~25ft airstreams very well.

As you re already towing, clearly you have some experience etc... so sorry if this is a little basic..

As with any TV question, you need to look at the following as a minimum:
1. Max tow weight
2. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR)
3. Tongue weight
4. Payload capacity
5. Gross Axle Weight Capacity (GAWC) for front and rear axles
6. Drivetrain engine transmission capacity etc... not an issue for you here

This is just a my short list though, others will have more to add.

One last thing to add, is in the past RR/LR do not approve of the use of WD hitches as they are not used in Europe! So go read your manual cover to cover and see if that is still the case, I have a 2007 LR3 and that is what I base my opinion on.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
(...)

One last thing to add, is in the past RR/LR do not approve of the use of WD hitches as they are not used in Europe! (...)
Even if the statement that RR/LR do not approve of the use of WD hitches is correct (I do not know that), the reason is most likely not correct. There are European manufacturers of SUV which approve use of WDH or are just silent on this (which does not mean that they not allow the use).
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We towed with a 2008 Range Rover HSE for approximately 3,000 miles. It has a OEM Westfalia hitch rated at 7,771 lbs. and Blue Ox SwayPro with 1K lbs bars. Loved the handling, tight turning radius, air suspension and comfort. Did not like going up long grades at 45 MPH at 3,500 RPM or feeling the trailer pushing us around on downhill curves. Your TDI may handle the grades better than my 300HP, 325 lbs torque gas engine, but that may be offset by the lighter Sport platform (RR HSE is at 6,100 lbs). I was also concerned with the 815 lbs tongue weight and the RR's owner manual showing a 550 lbs limit even though Land Rover's Portland lead service tech advised the RR would have no problem. We upgraded the TV this year and we are much happier and more relaxed towing in all terrains. We kept the RR as our daily driver as we will never part with it, by far the best vehicle we have ever owned. Also, I have read in this forum that those LRs with insert hitches do not fair so well as one poster experienced the insert popping out while towing. The Westfalia is a traditional hitch.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Having just gone through some of these issues with our Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 27FB I thought I would just add my two cents. Is the RR/LR a body on frame design or on a unibody. The GC is a unibody and we were unable to shift the weight off the rear wheels (about 800lbs) so with nothing extra in the Jeep we were at the GAWR R weight and could not get any more than about 100lbs moved with a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1000lb bars. This weekend we are going to try an Infinity QX80 and see if we can get the weight to distribute properly.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
No problems with an LR3

We tow with an LR3. Have had no problems with the self-leveling air suspension but do not use WD setup.

The ONLY problem we have had is the LED tail lights on the (2007) AS blink when connected to (2006) LR3. There is some self-testing lamp diagnostic in the LR3 and the LED tail lights do not provide enough resistance. Therefore, they blink.

We dulled this down with an adaptor that has additional resistors but it was not completely eliminated. Always turning the headlights on when connected dimmed the blink even further, but it is still visible.

Beyond that, my wife won't let the LR3 go. Even said the new models don't have enough added advantage to upgrade yet. So we motor on. Good luck.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Are you sure that this is caused by unibody construction and not hitch flexing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
Having just gone through some of these issues with our Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 27FB I thought I would just add my two cents. Is the RR/LR a body on frame design or on a unibody. The GC is a unibody and we were unable to shift the weight off the rear wheels (about 800lbs) so with nothing extra in the Jeep we were at the GAWR R weight and could not get any more than about 100lbs moved with a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1000lb bars. This weekend we are going to try an Infinity QX80 and see if we can get the weight to distribute properly.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer503 View Post
I see the "YMMV" frequently on these posts, so here's how mine varied:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L Ecodiesel (420 ft lbs torque), with Equalizer hitch and 1,000 lb bars, towing 2015 AS 23' FB FC.

I am able to shift tongue wt (660 lbs travel ready incl. hitch/bars) to front axle quite easily. Played with washers and L brackets to tune it. CAT scale measures confirm I am under limit for both F&R axles.

With about 16,000 miles under all kinds of conditions and roads, including many mountain passes, high winds, and passing semis, this setup has been fantastic. 16.5 mpg.

We decided against anything bigger than a 23' because 25's exceeded towing specs for the Jeep GC by quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I prefer the LR4 for my Airstream

We prefer the LR4 with their tow package, which upgrades the base vehicle and we use a weight distribution hitch. We have never had an issue with our trailer pushing us around. Frankly we sometimes forget it is behind us! The LR4 had more room in the back than the RR which makes putting our bikes back there a cinch...no worries about a special bike rack, having them exposed to the elements, or theft.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
nanoose bay , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco View Post
We tow with an LR3. Have had no problems with the self-leveling air suspension but do not use WD setup.

The ONLY problem we have had is the LED tail lights on the (2007) AS blink when connected to (2006) LR3. There is some self-testing lamp diagnostic in the LR3 and the LED tail lights do not provide enough resistance. Therefore, they blink.

We dulled this down with an adaptor that has additional resistors but it was not completely eliminated. Always turning the headlights on when connected dimmed the blink even further, but it is still visible.

Beyond that, my wife won't let the LR3 go. Even said the new models don't have enough added advantage to upgrade yet. So we motor on. Good luck.
Hi Thanks for sharing on LR3 - I thinks it's coming with a diesel soon too. Our Touareg TDI is super at towing the 27 and may end up just keeping it as RR Sport a bit unknown yet on how well it will do. I did have same blinking issue with lights on trailer for same reason, I fixed it 100 percent by taking of lense cover on one trailer tailight and splicing in one standard incandescent trailer light bulb and wire ( $2.00), it's inside behind back of lense so no light visible when it's on but that one bulb provides sufficient draw that car computer can sense it and thus shut off the power to it when you turn off the car. With the Airstream LED's the draw is so low the cars computer keeps testing to see if it is there thus constant flickering and that is why when you add one incandescent bulb it knows it's there and quits testing or trying to do a handshake with the trailer. This will work and is very easy to do.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Jonesboro , Arkansas
I have a 2016 Range Rover diesel that I occasionally use for short trips to pull my 2007 safari 25'FB. These are all relatively easy trips and I have had no issues.