Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
2016 Ford F150 vs F250

Just looked at an Ford F150 XLT extended cab with 5 L engine and the comparable F250 with 6.2 L engine. F150 had a cargo capacity of 2000 lbs, F250 2900. What do you think about the capabilities of the F150 for towing a 25 or 27' AS? It has the payload capacity but what about the 5 L engine? The attractive part of the F150 would be its gas mileage for daily driving. Coincidentally sticker price if around 44,000 for each.
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Would recommend EcoBoost V6 rather than 5L.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
as someone said already, 3.5l ecoboost is the best engin in my opinion. you will get better mpg when not towing and when towing...you will have a lot of power and torque.

as for towing ability, it s a personal choice. Not everyone is comfortable towing with the same vehicle. I personally think the F150 can tow any airstream in the line-up without any issue. But some people feel like they need a heavy-duty to tow at 23 or 25 etc.
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I believe the 5-liter is rated to tow the max GVWR of the Airstreams you mention (7600 lbs.). You seem to have cargo capacity covered, although don't rely on what's published for your particular truck/engine/cab combination. Those numbers are always high. Instead, rely on the yellow sticker that's on the driver side door frame of the particular truck you're considering. That reflects the exact equipment on that vehicle (power seats, sun roof, skid plates, bigger fuel tank all reduce cargo capacity). Also, be sure the truck you're considering has a "towing package," which includes extra cooling for engine and transmission. Rear exile ratios also affect towing capacity. I would want at least a 3.73 with the Ford 6-speed. Assuming all that's right, the 5 liter will do the job but will be pretty busy on grades. The Ecoboost may actually use a bit more fuel towing, but has a more favorable torque curve and will be turning lower rpm than the 5 liter. The 6.2 in the 250 would be my last choice. The 250 is a much heavier vehicle than the 150, so any power advantage over the 5 liter is going to be used up pulling more weight (and burning more fuel). The 6.2 is older tech and is pretty thirsty, even in the 150 (the "Raptor" has the 6.2 engine).
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
5 litre is small ,maybe a small trailer.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The principal advantage of the F-250 over the F-150 is the superb diesel engine available on the F-250. If you are not interested in the diesel on the F-250 then I would get the F-150 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost. The F-150 3.5 liter Ecoboost is a wonderful tow vehicle for a 25 & 27 foot Airstream. Don't get the 5 liter, you will be disappointed in it's performance while towing and also around town when not towing.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Charlottesville , Virginia
We are new owners of both a 27FB and an F150 with 3.5 liter Ecoboost and we're really pleased with how it tows so far. Probably goes without saying, but make sure you get the tow package when you buy. Tow/haul mode is a nice assist.
BugsyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frthompson View Post
Just looked at an Ford F150 XLT extended cab with 5 L engine and the comparable F250 with 6.2 L engine. F150 had a cargo capacity of 2000 lbs, F250 2900. What do you think about the capabilities of the F150 for towing a 25 or 27' AS? It has the payload capacity but what about the 5 L engine? The attractive part of the F150 would be its gas mileage for daily driving. Coincidentally sticker price if around 44,000 for each.
Before jumping into the F150, are you sure the payload capacity is 2,000 lbs? The payload figures on Ford's website aren't the actual payload figure that the truck will have. See this thread on actual F150 payloads: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ad-143955.html

After much searching I found an F150 with a payload capacity of 1,800 lbs, but a lot of F150 owners who posted, have trucks with significantly less.

The F250 offers all the payload capacity one could need, but comes with downside of a stiffer ride.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The Coyote (5.0) is an excellent engine, and a younger design than the 6.2 so it's no slouch. In real-world usage its mileage is pretty competitive with the 3.5 Ecoboost, and its peak output is competitive as well. The big difference is power delivery... the Coyote needs RPM to make much power, where the Ecoboost's behavior is like a cross between a gas and turbodiesel engine... great low-RPM torque for more relaxed power delivery, and much less performance degradation at altitude. Pick the one that behaves like you like, but see if you can't drive a comparable XLT with the 3.5EB before you decide between them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here are a couple of things to consider: First of all the towing capacity 0f the 150 is marginal for the 27' but I tow a classic 27' with my F150 with very minor issues. The 2000 lb load capacity needs to have the proper understanding of what that means. The tongue weight of the trailer reduces that 2000# load to 1000#-1200# depending on your specific trailer. Next the people in the truck will reduce that by 150-200# per person If you have 4 adults in the cab that would be 600-800# load leaving you 450# to 0# for any thing that you would carry in the pickup bed or cab. No room for generator, gasoline, lawn chairs, tables, tools, bicycles, fishing gear, well you get the idea. The F150 can do the job but is marginal. The ecco-boost is the better the the 5.0L for fuel, and for driving in varying elevations. Changes in elevation doesn't effect the performance. One good thing about the ecco-boost.

The second concern is the aluminum body. Search for pictures of the F150 after an accident. They look like a beer can that has been twisted into two pieces. I am told that the body cannot be straightend. The parts have to be replaced. You know that a dent in the AS trailer requires a part replacement. So does the F150. Not sure about insurance cost or repair cost but it certainly sounds like it will be much more expensive.

I'm looking for a new truck and it has come down to this:

Like the ecco-boost engine
Do not like load capacity I normally run with a total weight for truck and trailer of 17,500# Slightly over the limits.
Do not like the aluminum cab
Do not like the solid ride of the F250
Do not like the hard ride the F250 gives the trailer
Like the quiet ride of the F150

What to do? What to do? Answer: Maybe older is better? Delay, maybe some thing better will come along?

Happy Streaming......
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Before jumping into the F150, are you sure the payload capacity is 2,000 lbs? The payload figures on Ford's website aren't the actual payload figure that the truck will have. See this thread on actual F150 payloads: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ad-143955.html

After much searching I found an F150 with a payload capacity of 1,800 lbs, but a lot of F150 owners who posted, have trucks with significantly less.

The F250 offers all the payload capacity one could need, but comes with downside of a stiffer ride.
The OP described a Supercab XLT, 2k lb payload isn't surprising for that. Max theoretical payload is about 2300 lb for the 6.5' box and 3000 for the 8', but you're not likely to just happen upon an 8' box unless you're at a dealer that specializes in working trucks.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The ludicrous whinging about the "beer can" aluminum for the new F150 is just so much unfounded FUD. Look at similar photos of modern steel-bodied vehicles from similar crashes and you'll see that modern vehicles are designed to crumple because replacing body panels (or entire vehicles) is MUCH cheaper than paying hospital bills.

There's likely to be a real difference in the repair costs from medium, repairable collisions because not every body shop is prepared to work on aluminum, but aluminum body panels are hardly a new thing.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I would say a F150 with 3.5 Eco Boost. I have the equivalent in Silverado and it does great.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The ludicrous whinging about the "beer can" aluminum for the new F150 is just so much unfounded FUD. Look at similar photos of modern steel-bodied vehicles from similar crashes and you'll see that modern vehicles are designed to crumple because replacing body panels (or entire vehicles) is MUCH cheaper than paying hospital bills.

There's likely to be a real difference in the repair costs from medium, repairable collisions because not every body shop is prepared to work on aluminum, but aluminum body panels are hardly a new thing.
I agree. There is plenty of information about the repair cost comparisons between aluminum and steel bodies. I believe the 2017 Super Duty truck are also going to aluminum. Ford did studies and have produced video and documentation making the comparisons noting slight increase in repair costs but would expect those to drop as body shops become accustomed to repairing aluminum.

I have a 2011 F250 with the 6.7 diesel. I tow a 27' Flying Cloud with absolute confidence and have never experienced a problem either with towing or maintenance. I've towed over the Eisenhower pass at over 11,000' with ease. One of the big advantages of the diesel is engine braking. Another is engine temperature. When I used to tow with a gas engine, engine temps was something I always had to watch. There are many parts of the US where air temps get well over 100 degrees and my experience diesels aren't bothered by the heat. That's one of the reasons why we switched all our fire engines to diesel. But anyway, there are plenty of threads here about that and even more opinions.

While I love my truck (I've had diesel Fords since the dogs they produce in the late 80's), I'm intrigued by the potential of the Ecoboost F150 towing ability. So I'm watching the threads about the performance of towing a 27 or 30' trailer. What I haven't seen or read is how they perform towing on long grades at very high elevations, like the Sierra's, Rockies, of like the Eisenhower Summit I mentioned above. And of course, what goes up must come down, so I have concerns about the braking ability too. The Super Duty's have better brakes. I've also read rumors about a Ford F150 diesel in the near future.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
To jump in on this thread. I have a 2011 F150 Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost and pulled a 25 and a 28 through US Rockies and Canadian Rockies. No issues. Also have a 2015 F150 Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost and pull the 28 with it with zero issues. My payload is less than you are looking at due to the trim level, but the 2015 did gain over 400 pounds over my 2011. Works for us. I had a 2014 F150 with the 5L that the dealer loaned me while waiting on the 2015 F150 to come in. I'd take the 3.5 EB any day of the week over that 5L. More torque from the 3.5 and as others have mentioned, you will love it in the mountains. No bog at all.

As far as the aluminum body discussion, I have a buddy that is a body shop manager for a large dealer network and has been through the training for repairs on the aluminum. He has no issues with it. There are always certain situations where things are more difficult on the alum vs. steel but in general very comparable. Those that complain don't have the proper tools to repair in most cases or have not been trained properly to handle. The aluminum is coming to other brands as well so you might as well get used to seeing it. Put the Ford and a GM or Dodge side by side and push on the side panels. Limited give on the Ford. Normal small door dings are pretty much a thing of the past on these. The alum is quite thick and strong. Chasis was stiffened on the 2015 and up and I can really tell it taking my 2011 off road (which I still have) then immediately driving the 2015 down same stretch. Very pleased with the truck overall. The 2017 F250 goes to the alum body as well and I am considering one of those for the added payload and braking abilities in mountains, but for the time being and what we normally bring in the bed, the F150 is great. Don't get me wrong on the braking comment on the F150. If you manage your driving, all is well, but in my opinion it never hurts to have bigger and better brakes and the F250 provides it. You have to analyze your driving style and where you will be towing. Good luck on your decision.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
I would say a F150 with 3.5 Eco Boost. I have the equivalent in Silverado and it does great.

I would say 2015 F 150 super can tow pack etc with the 5 liter Mine pulls our Airstream just fine
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The principal advantage of the F-250 over the F-150 is the superb diesel engine available on the F-250. If you are not interested in the diesel on the F-250 then I would get the F-150 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost. The F-150 3.5 liter Ecoboost is a wonderful tow vehicle for a 25 & 27 foot Airstream. Don't get the 5 liter, you will be disappointed in it's performance while towing and also around town when not towing.
I have been towing a 2013 30' International with my 2012 F-150 Ecoboost HD tow package, for 3 seasons. Most of the time with a fully loaded AS at about 7,200 lbs with two bikes hanging of the back..
We have been over every pass out west and the Rockies without any problems whatsoever with power to spare.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I recommend the 3/4 ton.

I have a 1/2 ton Chevy that I bought when I had a 17' AS. A couple years later I purchased a 27' AS, but kept the Chevy because it was low mileage so couldn't justify purchasing another truck. I had all the anti-sway stuff, but with the 27' I didn't feel comfortable allowing the wife to drive it as I felt tit was a handful on handling. A couple years later I wound up rolling the 27' AS, but was able to keep the pickup upright.

I then downsized to a 25' AS. That handled better with my 1/2 ton Chevy. The only mileage I was putting on the truck was when I pulled the AS. I had a set of tires that was approaching five years old (the limit on any tire warranty) and I still had 80% of the tread left and they were starting to get weather cracked more than I would have liked. I took the truck into the dealer and he said Michelin had relaxed their replacement criteria somewhat so I was able to replace them with 80% credit for the original purchase price.

NOW, HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART. When I replaced them I replaced them with the same high pressure tires as was used on the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton pickups (New tires are Michelin LTX M/S 2, ALL SEASON, LT265/70R17 LRE ORWL, MSPN 97723, 70,000 mile warranty). This high pressure ride has the slight downside that if you use it a lot for non-towing it is a slightly harder ride, but I was amazed at the lesser sway tendency associated with the more rigid tire sidewalls. In my own mind, I feel that these higher pressure tires might possibly have made the difference between saving and losing the 27' AS.

A 27' is pushing the limits on a half ton pickup. If you do decide to get a half ton, do yourself a safety favor and upgrade the tires!
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
27'; 28'- 30' can easily be pulled with most F150's if you look at configuration and engine choices. Ford works well for us after 3 25' AS's. I went through 2 new Tahoe's with 2 late model 25 Safari's before switching to new F150 EB in 2012. Chevy just did not have enough torque in 1/2 ton compared to EB from Ford. Only "occasional" issue I have is long haul up Las Vegas grade when temps are 110+ in summer...have to watch the temp pulling up that grade. Many suggest 3/4 ton diesel, and I have compared...F150 EB short bed works well for us with 25. Diesel is whole other animal. F150 EB has better ride than the Tahoe's, my Cadilac's, and MB autos! I have the Platinum 4x4; (not off road model) and we love driving it...an F250 would present a whole new set of parking considerations since longer bed, wheelbase, etc...not to mention with diesel, real cold weather requires other considerations you do not have with gas. (we have place in MT we visit in winter) Love the EB and good mileage when not towing which is at least 60% of the time!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
I started out pulling my 23' AS in 2010 with a new F-150 5.7. It did a fine job. However, we live in S. Texas, and like to escape to the mountains in the summer. The F-150 would go up every mountain, but since I could afford it, I went to a 2013 F-250 diesel. Wow, wow, wow. We love going up the mountain at the speed limit. We loved the built in sway control and sold our WDH.
I don't know if the F-150 was more gentle on the trailer than the F-250. We haven't really thought about it.
Christmas Eve we bought a new 2016 F-350 6.7. Now we have the engine compression brake which is really cool.
I hear good things about the eco-boost, but don't know anything about it. I will say that my diesels both out performed the F-150 on fuel mileage. I wish I knew more about the eco-boost. I've heard you are working it hard to pull the trailer you plan to pull, but that's just heresay.
Happy trailering. I trust you'll enjoy whatever you buy. The ony hard advice I'll give you is that if you go to the 250 get a diesel. The gasser will get terrible mileage compared to the diesel.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote