Old 08-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #197
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
Just placed the order for my 4th Eco Boost F-150. This one will be the BEAST! 2017 F-150 Platinum SuperCrew in new White Gold 6.5' bed, FX4, Max Tow (3.55 Axle Ratio), the revised 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost v2.0 paired with a 10 speed Transmission a joint venture between Ford and GM. This truck will be a beast in the mountains altitude it will not make a difference as the twin turbo's keep the efficiency of sea level pressure, going up long grades or coming down long grades all with ease made possible by the new 10 speed. Solo it will be very efficient as well, the best of both worlds is now available. The reason I purchased my 1st Airstream 6 years ago was to keep it simple, and the F-150 makes it simple and fun, I now have over 35,000 miles logged across the nation and Canada pulling my Airstream with my EcoBoost F-150. I never looked back when I traded my 2011 F-250 PwrStroke only after 6 months of ownership (It left me on the road while towing after my 1st $550 oil and filters change) When it got back to the Ford store it stayed there. Living live to keep it simple and fun and for me the F-150 is perfect for my 27fb Airstream. (2 things I may change before production is going from MaxTow to Tow Pack will bring my axle ratio back to 3.31 what I have now and like. The other is to change the color from White Gold to Platnium white) PS. I know this thread is for 2016, just wanted to share the 2017 info.

LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #198
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutsi 1957 View Post
The F150 with the 5 litre is perfect for your need if you do not need the larger payload. Avoid the 3.6 litre turbo. It is not made for towing. Those who are trailering a lot replace the turbos regularly and spend more fuel than the 5 litre.

Another happy ecoboost user. The turbo IS MADE FOR TOWING. that where it shine vs the 5L.

Overall, I avg in around 15mpg with a airstream in the mountain of BC.... so pretty happy with fuel economy. When unhook...the ecoboost is very good at 25-26mpg

Old 08-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
F150 Ecoboost

Rumors of 3.5 Ecoboost turbo issues are not common. I have 86k miles pulling a 25 FC with my 2012 4x4 Platinum Supercrew F150 Short bed with no issues. MPG average 10-11 towing; 18 not towing. Great engine! I will get 2017 next with 10 speed...Ford has a real winner in the Ecoboost!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #200

Glendale , California
I've been doing a lot of research on the newer F150s....

Its really very surprising to read so many people recommending the 3.5 EcoBoost. If you go over to the F-150 forums and you'll find a LOT of major problems with that particular engine, mainly timing and cylinder misfire issues. Even a number of total failures.

It has been suggested over there, and I believe it, that of the main reasons Ford is releasing a 2nd gen EcoBoost this new model year is that they were never able to fix the intercooler misfire issues, even after a dozen TSBs.

My brother-in-law was also bitten by major reliability issues with the 3.5 EB... to the point that he returned his truck after less than a year under the TX lemon law. A short bit of reading finds quite a few folks having to do this as well...

He drives a 2015 F150 with the 5.0L now and is happy with his truck.

I'm currently on my 7th Toyota truck since 1978 (a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB) and while I really love this truck, I unfortunately need something bigger and more powerful for towing the 25ft Airstream FC that I plan to purchase.

Of course, my first look was at the Tundra... but for the money you just don't get very much, and the 5.7L engine, while powerful, is a serious gas guzzler. Most guys I know who tow with them are only getting around 8-9 MPG... which I just can't deal with here in SoCal with gas being so much more expensive than the rest of the country. Even my little Taco only gets 14-15 MPG around town.

There is a lot of appeal to the F150 3.5 EB... its very comfortable and quiet to drive, seems to be able to tow quite well, gets better MPG than my 6-cylinder Tacoma, and offers a lot of nice features... but the risk of getting a lemon seems awfully high. I'm frankly appalled at what I have been finding out about this truck, the list of issues is quite large and not at all minor.

Coming from Toyota I'm just not used to having issues at all...

Its hard to know what to do, at this point.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said^
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You can't trust internet forums for good information about a product; for the most part the satisfied customers don't report their experience, the dissatisfied customers never stop reporting.

If we went by the forums we wouldn't have our Airstream or our two Ram trucks. As it turned out the trucks have never been in the shop for a repair, and the Airstream has never had an original equipment failure over the last five years since new.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think in reverse of how you are thinking.
If I read on a bunch of forums that Toyotas are terrible and not reliable and have terrible resale value I might be inclined to investigate.
No one says Toyotas are good.
No one says Toyotas are bad.
It's the lack of negative comments or bad experiences...
In fact people DO talk about how good Toyotas are.
People talk about how good ProPride hitches are.
People talk about how good 16" Sendel wheels and Michelin LT tires are.
People talk about how good Centramatic balancers are.
People talk about how good Voyager cameras are.
People talk about how good TPMS is.
People do talk about good experiences on online forums...
Of all the components, the trailer itself has had (and still has) problems. Airstream trailers are better than Forest River trailers. I can say that by experience, too.
Every step we take, every move we make is to stop problems before they happen.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #204

Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You can't trust internet forums for good information about a product; for the most part the satisfied customers don't report their experience, the dissatisfied customers never stop reporting.

If we went by the forums we wouldn't have our Airstream or our two Ram trucks. As it turned out the trucks have never been in the shop for a repair, and the Airstream has never had an original equipment failure over the last five years since new.

I don't agree with this, sorry... I have been on more forums than I can remember, for 2 decades now, and have learned so much. I have successfully been steered away from poor products and introduced to many great ones that I would have never known existed otherwise. I have also learned how to judge hot air, bias and whining from legitimate issues.

But when admittedly anecdotal evidence is backed up by people with direct experience, and as well being able to pull several other sources with similar information, the bigger picture emerges.

In the end we each have to decide for ourselves how much risk we want to take on. The evidence found through online research is very valuable in making that decision. I wouldn't discount it because it differed with your personal view.

I really want to like the F150 3.5 EB as it seems to be the best all around solution for my needs... on paper. So this is not some personal bias. But I am legitimately concerned about making a mistake buying this truck.

Airforums is the only place that I've found that seems to enthusiastically recommend this option... which I found quite interesting.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #205

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ford sold about the same number of F150s in 2015 as Toyota sold Tundras in 2008-2015 COMBINED.

I'm not suggesting that being popular is a sign of superiority, I'm just trying to point out the difference in scale. With that many F150s sold, even with a similar defect rate you'd see 8x the number of reports, on average.

Internet forums are indeed useful sources of information, but you have to consider the signal-to-noise ratio mentioned above... WAY more people are going to complain than compliment, and there's a degree of self-selection in many cases, where people sought out the forum in the first place because they're trying to resolve a problem. A quick review of postings over the last couple months at Tundra forums netted people complaining about rusting cargo beds, inconsistent throttle response, EGR problems and dirty throttle bodies, someone whose truck doesn't start predictably, and of course no one is happy with their fuel mileage. Wow, you'd think with such a small production volume they could make a perfect truck!

No, I don't seriously think the Tundra is a bad truck, any more than I believe there are general problems with the F150. The first of the Ecoboosts had a significant problem with the CAC (intercooler) in certain very-high-humidity conditions. I know 2 people who own those, had the fix, have seen no repeat incidents in many years/miles. The 2nd-gen 3.5 Ecoboost isn't because the first one was a disaster, but because they're making improvements (more horsepower, port+direct injection as an improvement over direct-only, 10-speed transmission for bigger total ratio spread AND smaller spreads between gears, etc.)

Overall you're not likely to have a terrible experience with any modern mainstream vehicle, which includes trucks. If you want to ignore the scale of sales when you're evaluating the number of people reporting certain issues, you'll end up with a lower-volume vehicle from a decent-quality manufacturer (a Tundra, in this case.) You'll have a fine experience, I'm sure. You shouldn't ignore the fact that if the most popular engine in the highest-volume vehicle Ford sells in the US had lots of problems, Ford's sales and revenue would've taken a big hit over it, there would be tons of articles in the motoring press and RAM and GM would be using it in their advertising.

SOLD! Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe because F150 drivers trade every year or 2?
My Tundra is a 2007.
I didn't buy a truck between 2008 and 2015...
Ford F150 has been the best selling vehicle for 30-something or 40-something years.
That says something to me, but I just cannot convince myself after a lemon Maverick and a lemon Taurus.
Ford has really always been about F150, Mustang, and Thunderbird to me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #207

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Maybe because F150 drivers trade every year or 2?
My Tundra is a 2007.
I didn't buy a truck between 2008 and 2015...
Ford F150 has been the best selling vehicle for 30-something or 40-something years.
That says something to me, but I just cannot convince myself after a lemon Maverick and a lemon Taurus.
Ford has really always been about F150, Mustang, and Thunderbird to me.
There are definitely people out there on the 2- or 3-year cycle with vehicles which has more to do with their attention span than with the quality of the vehicles they buy... they do it with Lexus, Mercedes, Ford, GM brands, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

However, of the dozen or so people I know towing Airstreams with 3.5 Ecoboosts, only one is a 2-year kinda guy, and his 2017 will be his 4th consecutive 3.5 Ecoboost F150 so they must not suck too much. Both couples I know with the 2011s that had the CAC fix still have their 2011 (one of them bought a newer Platinum and relegated the 2011 XLT to the "shop truck" though.)

SOLD! Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutsi 1957 View Post
The F150 with the 5 litre is perfect for your need if you do not need the larger payload. Avoid the 3.6 litre turbo. It is not made for towing. Those who are trailering a lot replace the turbos regularly and spend more fuel than the 5 litre.
You don't know what you are talking about and should stop spreading incorrect information. I have been towing with an F-150 Eco-boost 3.73 axle, since 2012 and have 87 thousand miles on it mostly towing. It will blow the doors of any V8 gaser pulling uphill especially at high altitudes. We are in the middle of a 4 week trip and last week I pulled our 30' International over Tioga pass in the Sierra Nevada's. Over the last 3 years I hit every pass in the Rockies. Incidentally most of our trips are out west in the mountains.
Aside from routine maintenance my truck has never been in the shop.
FYI for 2017 Ford has improved on the 3.5 Turbo engine and is pairing it with a 10 speed trans. The F-150 Ecoboost with the heavy duty tow package is one of the best tow machines out there short of a diesel. Beats any V8 gasser. As to mileage I don't care what you pulling with, it takes x amount of energy to move x amount of weight at a given speed. Some of the diesels out there have the worst mileage.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
What a discussion! First, as to brand, I understand what M Hony says about Maverick and Taurus. Our experiences can impact future choices. My vehicle choices and problems tell me to stay away from GM and Toyota(Lexus)- even purchasing new- HOWEVER, I veer from that when shopping for a product initially. (see later on subjective). I start on paper with stats and also with research data on SIGNIFICANT issues. Then I get to specific need. This was critical in hunting for a tow vehicle. This part of the information is mostly void of bias and should be sharable too, for example, any forum member looking for a tow vehicle.

One thing that impacts all of us is what some have posted as the modern engine. You have to start looking at how each company has approached the task of providing efficient power, the electronics, that meets the spec you need and then finally pick the one that appeals (the subjective).

I shopped all 1/2 tons and researched for 2015 models. I learned quite a bit. Right now I honestly attest that I have concern over the longevity of direct injection implementation and the engine cylinder deactivation. These are real issues that are not my OPINION but design issues that the companies have acknowledged. I speak of Ford, GM and Honda. I do not have any trouble with my truck but I now know that Ecoboosts have excessive carbon buildup that can be an early issue if driven like I drive- short trips, etc. THAT IS WHY Ford redesigned their engine to be Direct/Port injected for 2017- to eliminate the problem as it will rear its head once some mileage is there for many owners. But before you jump to buy a GM be aware that they have that deactivation problem with oil blow-by and excessive oil increase that, they acknowledge is noted only on some ""high mileage engines beginning around 30,000 miles""- 30K is not high mileage! I posted the links to this in another thread. Honda too acknowledged and issue with the technology. As far as turbos go, I have checked for issues and have not found any to report or be concerned with.

If I were shopping today, and I might be, I would go straight in to the Ford dealer and buy an Ecoboost just like I have in the 2017 model. I find the implementation superb but I am not happy about the potential direct injection issue. I am retiring and do not want a known issue to show its ugly head the day after the warranty expires. Now, my father said he would keep the truck and drive it regardless as there are too many out there just doing fine. He also drove a Taurus for years 260K miles w/ 2 transmissions.BTW this
DI issue is/has impacted all truck brands so, check to see what the various companies are doing about it! Ford redesigned the engine ports/manifolds.

ON the TOPIC of 1/2 to 3/4 ton, I would say you have to look at payload capacity and determine if you have the need for the greater capacity. The half ton is going to have a ton or so payload nowadays in a Ford but you have to look at the truck. They are EACH different depending on various factors. I know mine is reduced 200# by the wheel choice. 20" package.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Brand loyalty exists in all brands.
If I were to replace my 2007 Tundra, it would be the same truck all over again in a 2017, but add 4 wheel drive.
This Tundra is truly my favorite of all vehicles I have owned, including our 2014 Avalon. It is also truly the best vehicle I have ever owned.
I'm sure others feel that in each different brand for one reason or another.
Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep is big here because there is a good dealership.
Where you are geographically and the staff at the dealers my color your decision- the experience with the dealership staff at point of sale and service- routine maintenance, warranty, recalls-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955