Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Not sure, didn't look closely. Was raining and had kids with us. One was a special package of sorts, fancy wheels and lift kit. A few were Ranch, a few were Lariat. Most were diesel. Around $60k was mean average of many we saw. The link you provided is pretty close to what we will be buying. Provided we can afford the conversion that is. In doing so, 2/3 the cost of the conversion is the difference in available F-250 trim levels. Crazy how the fluctuate. Seems it was just over $25k from the highest to the lowest priced F-250 the dealer had.

Dan

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2016 Ford 250/350 SUV conversion. Guess I can have my cake and eat it...

A 2015 F350 6.7 Platinum edition Supercrew 4x4 has a MSRP $68-70k.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Some prefer SUVs and some prefer trucks, and there's no shortage of comments to that effect online. We've towed with both a Suburban and our current F350 with 2 adults and 4 kids/teens. The Suburban was nice for having three rows of seats and everyone got a window, but the truck has much more cargo space and towing capacity.

I would suggest getting the truck you're thinking of having converted and using it to tow for a while. Find a used cap/topper/shell for it. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision on whether you want to pay $30,000 or so to have it converted. You could give your family a lot of great experiences for that $30k that will have a longer lasting effect than riding in an SUV instead of a truck.

I make this comment from the point of view of a parent and teacher who knows that the experiences kids have outside of school can have a huge effect on their educational achievement. No criticism intended, I'm just sharing the way I would look at this decision.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Grant. Great advice and reflects my recent train of thought. Been trying to learn more about Ford 250/350 and had hoped to get more insights from owners of them. Guess this time of year folks are out enjoying their Airsreams rather than reading the towing forum. Which is a good thing (for them).

Been reading what I can about the newer Ford 250/350, differences in the two, diesel vs gas, etc. Pretty confused to be honest. Folks on Ford truck forum are towing 10-15k lb toy haulers with lifted Superduty trucks with 35's and 37's, claiming how great they tow. Folks on here seem to be more conservative. Read varying opinions on RV.net. It's a minefield for a new guy like myself.

I'm looking at the F-250/350 online and in person. Local sales rep wasn't up on the payload, towing capacity, and such when options like heavy duty front springs, 4x4, camping package, etc were added. Nor could he tell me about real world effects of 3.33, 3.51, 4.10, or whatever all the rear diff ratios available were. I'm interseted in the electronic locking diff, but uncertain about what ratio.

Will avoid the extreme lift jobs to keep highway manners, but may get a mild lift of 2-4" to facilitate some bigger tires. Need to find a middle ground somewhere. I will use the truck off road, fishing, and such as much or more than towing so I have to consider that. But don't want to compromise the trucks ability to safely tow a 28-30' Airstream either. Tough nut to crack it appears.

Back to my appreciation of your suggestion, I have been looking at the ARE Z series caps. Found a Truck Buddy tailgate step that folds down from tailgate that will allow our german shepherd to easily get in back. With sliding side ventilation windows of cap, which have optional pet screens, this should work well. Can open back window of truck (If I get Lariat trim or up) and let A/C flow in cap as well during hotter months here in NC. Worst case, dog can ride in backseat floorboard.

Riding to Charlotte tomorrow to a large volume Ford dealer. Hope I can get some questions answered. They have about forty 250's and 350's so that will be helpful as I've only seen a dozen in the two somewhat local Ford dealers to date. I'm curious about the XL with vinyl and power windows. Looks like far less to go wrong as it's basically a 10-15 year old outdated interior. No LCD screens, visible computers, etc. But wife thinks I will regret it and wants leather in Lariat or better trim. I'm wanting this truck to last 20 years or so, so I'm favoring simple is better. But she has an uncanny habit of being right. Shhhh.

Saw the Dodge Mega cab locally yesterday and will drop by Dodge dealership tomorrow as well. Not sure how the Cummins 6.7 TD in the Dodge compare to the Ford diesel. Read the standard 68EFE (?) Dodge transmission has a questionable track record, but for $2k or so it can be upgraded to a AISIN transmission with the Cummins 6.7 HO package. Again, more questions than answers. Maybe I should stick with tent camping. Hah.

Thanks for all the input here. I greatly appreciate it.

Dan
NC
Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
well, if money is of no concern, Hennessey Motorsports does the Conversion from an F250 to an excursion es well.. only 6 month delivery time and it starts at only 159K

Ford Excursion Lives On Through 2016 Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
And here's a guy who's doing ground-up restos of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. His website is a huge collection of photos of his resto and upgrade process. Not a lot of mention of towing, but he can probably give you anything you want.

As usual, all it takes is money.

Jeep Grand Wagoneers - Full, Professional, Ground up Restorations. The finest, better-than-new Jeep Grand Wagoneers in the World
FWIW.....the wurst TV we ever owned, BUT the DW loved it....SWMBO.

Bob
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
And Don't exclude the Dura-Burb either

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...son-83702.html

and then to really muddy the waters - look at the freightliner with utility bed one guy bought - drool!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ie-121273.html

Tow vehicles - a plethora of possibilities.

Paula
Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lazy

Hi, My name is Paula and I'm a grateful recovering Ford owner (Don't throw rocks, my last name is FORD!).

I'm going shopping for a 2500/3500 Silverado - and I know there's a VIN number decoder that will help me pick the right one. Anyone have it and an easy way to tell which vehicles are really set to tow and which are less ready?

Paula
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
well, if money is of no concern, Hennessey Motorsports does the Conversion from an F250 to an excursion es well.. only 6 month delivery time and it starts at only 159K

Ford Excursion Lives On Through 2016 Hennessey VelociRaptor SUV

Actually, one of the guys I linked in first post does the conversion for Hennessey. Then they do performance mods and slap their badging all over it. Sweet rig, but ouch on the price tag.

Dan
Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hi, My name is Paula and I'm a grateful recovering Ford owner (Don't throw rocks, my last name is FORD!).

I'm going shopping for a 2500/3500 Silverado - and I know there's a VIN number decoder that will help me pick the right one. Anyone have it and an easy way to tell which vehicles are really set to tow and which are less ready?

Paula
Paula,

There are a LOT of GM RPO codes....

If the truck is on the lot all codes will be on the window sticker and on the tag in the glovebox.

The dealer can also do a VISS check and get a build sheet which also lists all the options.

Good Luck with your new truck....

Bob
Old 07-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We had a 2011 Ford F250 Diesel and now have a F350 Ford Diesel both Crew Cabs with standard bed of 6'6''. Both 51 rear and both 4x4. Would not own another brand or truck for that matter.

Just me but I'd try a full cap first, with connecting window and put the pup back there to give the kids room in the back seat. Our kids are grown and gone so no issue, pup(s) ride in the back seat.

One thing many do not consider is on the Ford Super Duties in Diesel one can only get a 26 gallon fuel tank. We opted to change that tank out and put in a Titan 50 gallon replacement. Had it done in Florida while we were down there by Nations Ford in St. Petersburg. They did a great job, even saved our fuel from the old tank.

Best of luck
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
... Would not own another brand or truck for that matter.

Amen to this.. i would not want anything different than my Ford Diesel either.. except maybe the new Ford 6.7L Diesel.. but then again maybe only in addition to my current 7.3

Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Thank you.

For our application, monthly weekend trips to Smoky Mountans of NC/Tenn and 2 week National Park type trips each summer, is there any suggestions on whether to spring for the 6.7 diesel vs 6.2 gas motor? We will end up with a 28-30' AS. 6-7k lbs or so.

Dan
Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
6.7 will give you a much better all around performance, especially in the mountains, as well as better fuel economy. another point to consider : a Diesel will always have a better re-sale value. even with high miles.