Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
2016 F150 backs up a trailer by itself

I think I found my next truck !!!!
The system does all the steering, all one has to do is tell the controller what direction you want to point the trailer to .
Ford call this back assist .

Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Good grief!!! Now I've seen it all!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm sure that will be an expensive option.

I want to see a video of them testing it with an RV hooked up.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Good luck with that!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Looks great in a PARKING LOT. I'll get one after I see the demo with a 30' + trailer backing into a tight campsite in a NP or forest complete with , rocks, stumps logs and overhanging trees.

Can you spell crunch!!!! ROLMAO
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
Looks great in a PARKING LOT. I'll get one after I see the demo with a 30' + trailer backing into a tight campsite in a NP or forest complete with , rocks, stumps logs and overhanging trees.

Can you spell crunch!!!! ROLMAO
Driver is still in controll so, if crunch happens, you still need to look in the mirror for the cause of the problem, so to speak.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
First the man step, now this … what's the world coming to? 😁
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Well, that's pretty cool. Steering with the knob would be intuitive, and free you to watch for obstructions. As close as the technology is to producing self-driving cars, this is a natural extension. In ten years, every vehicle designed as a TV will have this as standard.
Of course, we were promised jet packs by now.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
Learned how to properly do this myself!
Can just image what that will cost & maintain.
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
F150 back up assist

Note in this video, the truck never has to swear straightening up, moving forward , it is all calculated by the onboard assist . Yes you maybe able to execute the back up but with a complex S shape how many will be able to do it without pulling forward to straighten the truck etc. etc. . And the next question how many can actually do a complex S . I had a property with a driveway of 6 degree incline driveway and a complex S over 180 ft., it would take me over one and half hours to get her in, and then into a narrow driveway along side the house with inches to clear. It all looks pretty lame on a parking lot but try it with rock walls and steel to manoeuver around, the aluminum shell is not very forgiving . Not to mention the wear and tear on the truck and its driver. I needed to be in 4 wheel drive to get the job done and put a lower hitch ball (5inches) to raise the back end . I would have loved to try it with this new Ford-- Let the truck do the mental work I'll supply the input on the dial to the trailer
Old 07-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Already My 2015 is Obsolete!

Well, the self backing is pretty cool, no doubt, but I'll keep my 2015 until Ford adapts a system like yard locomotives which allow the engineer to remotely back up and couple/uncouple cars with a hand-held device.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Good grief, we've got enough incompetent drivers as it is, why do we have to contend with this stuff. OH YEAH, I suddenly realized, with this a new driver can text and back his AS at the same time.....
Silly me!

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I can't wait for a system that helps me into tight spaces in the dark. My wife and I have bickered more about her helping me back up than over any other thing in our 20yrs together. You know it's not going well when the walkie talkie comes flying at your head.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
what a great accessory to have. i would pay the extra to have this on my truck. don't know about you but i can't whip my steering wheel around that fast. i wonder if they will be able to retro fit this or you have to buy a brand new truck to get this.

i am sure all you doubters all have stripped down truck with crank up windows.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No need to fear change or technology.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Can I get the upgrade that dumps my black tank too?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Driving, eating, living is just to hard.

Don't learn to do it, just invent a machine to to it.

Pretty soon, we will be able to send our trailers out, fly a drone around the park to see the sights, and have it all come back home. All so we never have to leave the house.

I don't fear change or technology, and I am sure there are those who feel that allowing technology to preform "menial" tasks frees up one'e mind for better things.

I don't. I feel that learning to do these things is what drives us to develop more skills.

I don't need to watch a youtube video on how to back my trailer, I learned how to by doing it.

So there, from a not so old grump who is starting to understand why old folks think the world is going to hell.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think this is a cool feature. Technology really fascinates me, and I confess that being an early adopter has probably cost me some $. I can also attest to how some of the new safety features of cars (and trucks) can make a good driver even better. I have a new car that has the radar guided cruise control that adapts my speed to the vehicle in front of me. I've found this really reduces the irritation factor if you get behind someone who can't seem to keep a steady pace (speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down). Eventually, you can find space to get around them, but at least I don't find myself creeping too close to someone's rear bumper. (I wish other cars had this feature as perhaps they'd stop tailgating me!) The newest enhancement to this adaptive cruise control is a feature that computes the distance between the white line to my left and the white line to the right. IF it sees these lines, I get a green indicator ( a small green steering wheel illuminates), and I can remove my hands from the steering wheel for about 20 seconds -- after which two large orange hands show up on my display....and if my hands aren't on the wheel within about 5 seconds, the sound system shuts down and an annoying alarm sounds. So, if you were wondering if autonomous driving is near, it's actually here -- right now, albeit for 20 second increments. The advent of electric steering allows this, just as it does "automatic trailer backing."
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
JD,
For whatever it's worth, I agree with you! Technology is great, but in order to use it people should be required to learn the basics and how to handle a situation when the latest and greatest gadgit fails! And eventually, it will fail.
In the meantime, this old geezer will continue to drive the 6 speed manual tranny, and pulling his old 34' AS. When he gets to the campground, he doesn't need a pull through, he can back it into what ever space is available.

Some people hate us, but only because we know how to do things they refuse to learn...

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post

Pretty soon, we will be able to send our trailers out, fly a drone around the park to see the sights, and have it all come back home. All so we never have to leave the house.

I don't fear change or technology, and I am sure there are those who feel that allowing technology to preform "menial" tasks frees up one'e mind for better things.

I don't. I feel that learning to do these things is what drives us to develop more skills.

I don't need to watch a youtube video on how to back my trailer, I learned how to by doing it.

So there, from a not so old grump who is starting to understand why old folks think the world is going to hell.

Regards,

JD
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
JD,
For whatever it's worth, I agree with you! Technology is great, but in order to use it people should be required to learn the basic and how to handle a situation when the latest and greatest gadgit fails! And eventually, it will fail.
In the meantime, this old geezer will continue to drive the 6 speed manual tranny, and pulling his old 34' AS. When he gets to the campground, he doesn't need a pull through, he can back it into what ever space is available.

Some people hate us, but only because we know how to do things they refuse to learn...

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post

Regards,

JD