Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Yes, that's exactly what he means, but he insists on telling me it has the "tow package" which in my world means trans cooler and oil cooler and maybe even the heavier susp.

I looked up the RPO code for the integrated brake controller and it is a stand alone option - JL1. It has no relationship to the other tow package items.

Sales guys get confused between "trailering options" and "Tow Package Options." Trailering is a receiver and plug, that's about it.
It could be that Max Trailering Package means different things on different models of GM vehicle (SUVs and trucks), and it may have been packaged differently in earlier years.

I can say, that for 2014 GM half tons, Max Trailering means:

9.76" rear axle
3.73 axle ratio
trailer brake controller
enhanced cooling radiator
revised shock tuning for increased control
heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

Note that it is also possible to order the trailer brake controller as a separate standalone option. Also, the aux transmission cooler is standard equipment on the SLT and Denali trim lines, but can be ordered as an option on lower trims.

Regards, Bob
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
It could be that Max Trailering Package means different things on different models of GM vehicle (SUVs and trucks), and it may have been packaged differently in earlier years.

I can say, that for 2014 GM half tons, Max Trailering means:

9.76" rear axle
3.73 axle ratio
trailer brake controller
enhanced cooling radiator
revised shock tuning for increased control
heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

Note that it is also possible to order the trailer brake controller as a separate standalone option. Also, the aux transmission cooler is standard equipment on the SLT and Denali trim lines, but can be ordered as an option on lower trims.

Regards, Bob
Great info, thanks for the clarification!
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
We get along quite well with our '07 Yukon XL Denali. The exhaust has a nice tone which I don't find objectionable during towing. Helps drown out the kids whining!

We mostly tow in manual mode with the limit set to 5th gear. The 6.2L cruises nicely @ 2000 RPM and 65 mph. Occasionally it will drop to 4th for longer hill which raises RPM to 2800 or so. For steep climbs I usually slow to 60 mph which is around 3200 RPM in 3rd.

If I recall correctly, transmission temps are usually around 140 F during towing. There's a DIC setting to monitor transmission temp which is nice.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I am picking up a '15 Yukon slt later in the week. There is only one HD trailer option which includes 3.42 rear axle, integrated trailer brake controller (cannot be ordered without HD), increased capacity suspension with rear air level and 2 speed AutoTrac transfer case with 4 wheel drive.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
I am picking up a '15 Yukon slt later in the week. There is only one HD trailer option which includes 3.42 rear axle, integrated trailer brake controller (cannot be ordered without HD), increased capacity suspension with rear air level and 2 speed AutoTrac transfer case with 4 wheel drive.
Question: does the HD trailer option not include a transmission cooler? Seems like it should.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
When I went to see them last week, I didn't see a aux cooler like the one on my Tahoe. Salesman had no idea
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I have to admit I'm tempted to go down to the dealer and check these issues out for myself. My 2001 Sube just turned 230300 and is doing fine. Really. Still "good" (relatively speaking) gas mileage (not towing) from AZ back to Montana last week of 17 on I-15 at 75 (that's with non-ethanol gas) but a new transfer case is on the to do list. My concern is that I'll like what I see... in the 2015 models... always a bad thing when you're at a dealer, in my view!

By the way, towing our '76 Overlander at 65+/- hardly ever gets above 190* on the transmission temps - that's with 180-190 on water temps, too. I'd love to see 140 but those are great numbers, Kyle.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Question: does the HD trailer option not include a transmission cooler? Seems like it should.

I agree that it should but it's not listed as one of the elements of the Max Towing package. I wonder if they've integrated it in the radiator? It's certainly something to get a concrete answer on although they're easy enough install (or case to be installed in my case) after buying.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Standard SLT equipment includes: Heavy duty trailer ing hitch platform, 7 wire harness, auxilliary external heavy duty air to oil transmission cooler and external engine oil cooler heavy duty air to oil integral to driver side of radiator. The heavy duty towing package adds equipment as noted above.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Standard SLT equipment includes: Heavy duty trailer ing hitch platform, 7 wire harness, auxilliary external heavy duty air to oil transmission cooler and external engine oil cooler heavy duty air to oil integral to driver side of radiator. The heavy duty towing package adds equipment as noted above.
Can you provide a source for this info? To be clear, I believe that you're correct but I've looked online and not found it.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #71
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I've been watching this (and other) threads about the upcoming Suburban/Yukon XL. I'm still holding out hope for a 3/4 ton but it probably won't happen.

So now I'm seeing the Yukon XL Denali has an optional 6.2L with lots of horsepower and torque. I attribute the horsepower to the fact that the engine revs quite a bit higher than previous (particularly big block) engines. But the torque numbers (granted, torque is related to horsepower) look very appealing - much like the big blocks of yesteryear.

Why is this awesome 6.2L only available in the Denali? I looked on the Chevrolet web site and I don't see the 6.2L available at any trim level. Am I missing something? Is it coming soon to a showroom near me. I don't mind buying a GMC just seems odd that I didn't see the same equipment offered on a Chevrolet. Maybe GMC is trying to distinguish itself as a truck manufacturer again.

So if the 3/4 ton is off the table - maybe there's hope for a 1/2 ton, perhaps a 1/2 ton HD, version of the Suburban/Yukon XL that will pull like the big blocks that ended production in 2006.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I've been watching this (and other) threads about the upcoming Suburban/Yukon XL. I'm still holding out hope for a 3/4 ton but it probably won't happen.

So now I'm seeing the Yukon XL Denali has an optional 6.2L with lots of horsepower and torque. I attribute the horsepower to the fact that the engine revs quite a bit higher than previous (particularly big block) engines. But the torque numbers (granted, torque is related to horsepower) look very appealing - much like the big blocks of yesteryear.

Why is this awesome 6.2L only available in the Denali? I looked on the Chevrolet web site and I don't see the 6.2L available at any trim level. Am I missing something? Is it coming soon to a showroom near me. I don't mind buying a GMC just seems odd that I didn't see the same equipment offered on a Chevrolet. Maybe GMC is trying to distinguish itself as a truck manufacturer again.

So if the 3/4 ton is off the table - maybe there's hope for a 1/2 ton, perhaps a 1/2 ton HD, version of the Suburban/Yukon XL that will pull like the big blocks that ended production in 2006.
For several years now the Yukon Denali has been offered with the 6.2 liter that wasn't available on the Suburban. It's sort of a step between an LTZ Suburban and the Cadillac Escalade. It will be offered in the Cadillac version, however.

That said, the new 1/2 ton Suburban has almost identical power numbers to the outgoing 6.0 liter in the 3/4 ton... just with better gas milage. I guess that direct injection really makes a big difference. It is my strong suspicion that the 3/4 ton Suburban is dead... which really is too bad. The fact is, these things are so strongly based on the pickup versions that Chevy didn't have to do any major power train production in order to come up with a 3/4 ton version if they wanted to put out a 3/4 Suburban. That said, the 3/4 and 1 ton version version of the Silverado were a year behind the 1/2 ton version so maybe we'll see a 3/4 ton Suburban next year.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
In 2008 we could have bought our Tahoe with the 6.2 l engine with the 6 speed transmission. Only offered the 6.2 one year
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Can you provide a source for this info? To be clear, I believe that you're correct but I've looked online and not found it.
It shows up under mechanical specs when I open the standard equipment tab on the specific car I'm buying. Yukon 4wd 4dr SLT.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I hope your Yukon has the external cooler because again, the Yukon's I saw at my dealership withe the tow packages did not have the coolers when I peeked through front grill. I'm in Calif. But I would think they would all be the same oh and they were all 4 wheel drive
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
It shows up under mechanical specs when I open the standard equipment tab on the specific car I'm buying. Yukon 4wd 4dr SLT.
I think you might be looking at the page for the 2014 version. 2014

The specs for the 2015 version are here.

That's one of the reasons for our confusion. It was very clear when the additional coolers where, or where not, included in the previous versions. It isn't at all clear with the 2015 models. I rented a non-trailer package Yukon (GMT900) and driving it up some hills in the summer in Montana resulted in over 200 degree transmission temps without a trailer. I suspect that Chevy has concluded that this transmission needs extra cooling even when not towing so they've built the cooling systems into the main radiator.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
It appears as though I must eat crow. In looking at the specs for the 2015 Tahoe it looks like the coolers are present as standard features.

Go here and click on the "Mechanical" tab and then scroll down to "Other Features" and you'll see that every Tahoe includes heavy-duty engine and transmission oil coolers. Same thing for the Suburban.

It's very possible that they aren't directly in front of the engine radiator but are off to the side?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
In 2008 we could have bought our Tahoe with the 6.2 l engine with the 6 speed transmission. Only offered the 6.2 one year
Yeah, wow, it looks like they offered the 6.2 in the Tahoe for the 2009 model year. It doesn't seem like it was offered for any other model year and it seems like it was slightly detuned.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post

It is right on the window sticker.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thats good to know Jwestman, there must be a disconnect in the manufacture brouchers and online information from GMC.
It is still strange that I did not see the external cooler on the Yukon's at my dealership. Where are they putting them now? How do you like your 2015 Yukon? If you had a previous model Yukon, what are your thoughts on the 15s? Any pictures yet? Congratulations!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote