Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #71
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Going Places , Georgia
I've been watching this (and other) threads about the upcoming Suburban/Yukon XL. I'm still holding out hope for a 3/4 ton but it probably won't happen.

So now I'm seeing the Yukon XL Denali has an optional 6.2L with lots of horsepower and torque. I attribute the horsepower to the fact that the engine revs quite a bit higher than previous (particularly big block) engines. But the torque numbers (granted, torque is related to horsepower) look very appealing - much like the big blocks of yesteryear.

Why is this awesome 6.2L only available in the Denali? I looked on the Chevrolet web site and I don't see the 6.2L available at any trim level. Am I missing something? Is it coming soon to a showroom near me. I don't mind buying a GMC just seems odd that I didn't see the same equipment offered on a Chevrolet. Maybe GMC is trying to distinguish itself as a truck manufacturer again.

So if the 3/4 ton is off the table - maybe there's hope for a 1/2 ton, perhaps a 1/2 ton HD, version of the Suburban/Yukon XL that will pull like the big blocks that ended production in 2006.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I've been watching this (and other) threads about the upcoming Suburban/Yukon XL. I'm still holding out hope for a 3/4 ton but it probably won't happen.

So now I'm seeing the Yukon XL Denali has an optional 6.2L with lots of horsepower and torque. I attribute the horsepower to the fact that the engine revs quite a bit higher than previous (particularly big block) engines. But the torque numbers (granted, torque is related to horsepower) look very appealing - much like the big blocks of yesteryear.

Why is this awesome 6.2L only available in the Denali? I looked on the Chevrolet web site and I don't see the 6.2L available at any trim level. Am I missing something? Is it coming soon to a showroom near me. I don't mind buying a GMC just seems odd that I didn't see the same equipment offered on a Chevrolet. Maybe GMC is trying to distinguish itself as a truck manufacturer again.

So if the 3/4 ton is off the table - maybe there's hope for a 1/2 ton, perhaps a 1/2 ton HD, version of the Suburban/Yukon XL that will pull like the big blocks that ended production in 2006.
For several years now the Yukon Denali has been offered with the 6.2 liter that wasn't available on the Suburban. It's sort of a step between an LTZ Suburban and the Cadillac Escalade. It will be offered in the Cadillac version, however.

That said, the new 1/2 ton Suburban has almost identical power numbers to the outgoing 6.0 liter in the 3/4 ton... just with better gas milage. I guess that direct injection really makes a big difference. It is my strong suspicion that the 3/4 ton Suburban is dead... which really is too bad. The fact is, these things are so strongly based on the pickup versions that Chevy didn't have to do any major power train production in order to come up with a 3/4 ton version if they wanted to put out a 3/4 Suburban. That said, the 3/4 and 1 ton version version of the Silverado were a year behind the 1/2 ton version so maybe we'll see a 3/4 ton Suburban next year.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #73
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
In 2008 we could have bought our Tahoe with the 6.2 l engine with the 6 speed transmission. Only offered the 6.2 one year
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Can you provide a source for this info? To be clear, I believe that you're correct but I've looked online and not found it.
It shows up under mechanical specs when I open the standard equipment tab on the specific car I'm buying. Yukon 4wd 4dr SLT.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #75
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I hope your Yukon has the external cooler because again, the Yukon's I saw at my dealership withe the tow packages did not have the coolers when I peeked through front grill. I'm in Calif. But I would think they would all be the same oh and they were all 4 wheel drive
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
It shows up under mechanical specs when I open the standard equipment tab on the specific car I'm buying. Yukon 4wd 4dr SLT.
I think you might be looking at the page for the 2014 version. 2014

The specs for the 2015 version are here.

That's one of the reasons for our confusion. It was very clear when the additional coolers where, or where not, included in the previous versions. It isn't at all clear with the 2015 models. I rented a non-trailer package Yukon (GMT900) and driving it up some hills in the summer in Montana resulted in over 200 degree transmission temps without a trailer. I suspect that Chevy has concluded that this transmission needs extra cooling even when not towing so they've built the cooling systems into the main radiator.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
It appears as though I must eat crow. In looking at the specs for the 2015 Tahoe it looks like the coolers are present as standard features.

Go here and click on the "Mechanical" tab and then scroll down to "Other Features" and you'll see that every Tahoe includes heavy-duty engine and transmission oil coolers. Same thing for the Suburban.

It's very possible that they aren't directly in front of the engine radiator but are off to the side?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
In 2008 we could have bought our Tahoe with the 6.2 l engine with the 6 speed transmission. Only offered the 6.2 one year
Yeah, wow, it looks like they offered the 6.2 in the Tahoe for the 2009 model year. It doesn't seem like it was offered for any other model year and it seems like it was slightly detuned.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Can you provide a source for this info? To be clear, I believe that you're correct but I've looked online and not found it.

It is right on the window sticker.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #80
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Thats good to know Jwestman, there must be a disconnect in the manufacture brouchers and online information from GMC.
It is still strange that I did not see the external cooler on the Yukon's at my dealership. Where are they putting them now? How do you like your 2015 Yukon? If you had a previous model Yukon, what are your thoughts on the 15s? Any pictures yet? Congratulations!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
It is right on the window sticker.

And it's online... I found it later. It's not in the tow package because it's on all of them.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I finally got rid of my 2012 Suburban LT and good riddance! It had the 5.3 and was barely able to move it's substantial heft around town. That engine just wasn't torquey enough and even the 1500 Suburban is quite heavy. The 6 liter would have been a much better choice.

Without the trailer, I could only get about 18 on the highway in the flats. With the trailer, 9-12 mpg depending. But worse, the transmission was awful. You'd have to jamb the throttle to get it to downshift, even on inclines.

I'm back to towing with my Silverado 2500 Duramax. Truly effortless towing, a place for firewood and wet/dirty stuff in the bed, and 14-16 mpg towing, 19-20 unloaded. I don't need to mess with WD either. The downside is size. It's a big, noisey truck. At least it isn't smelly thanks to the DEF system.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
I finally got rid of my 2012 Suburban LT and good riddance! It had the 5.3 and was barely able to move it's substantial heft around town. That engine just wasn't torquey enough and even the 1500 Suburban is quite heavy. The 6 liter would have been a much better choice.

Without the trailer, I could only get about 18 on the highway in the flats. With the trailer, 9-12 mpg depending. But worse, the transmission was awful. You'd have to jamb the throttle to get it to downshift, even on inclines.

I'm back to towing with my Silverado 2500 Duramax. Truly effortless towing, a place for firewood and wet/dirty stuff in the bed, and 14-16 mpg towing, 19-20 unloaded. I don't need to mess with WD either. The downside is size. It's a big, noisey truck. At least it isn't smelly thanks to the DEF system.

Do you remember what gearing you had in your 2012 Suburban? I had a 2010 with 3.08 gearing and that thing was miserable trying to go up hills. The new 5.3 has the same power and torque as the old 6.0. The gearing is a little different, 3.42 as opposed to 3.73, I bet it drives much better than the old version.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
It had the 3.43 - it came with the tow package. The new truck has a bit more torque than my 2012. Not sure if it would still be enough considering how heavy they are, or how poor the tranny.