Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0L V6 Diesel SUV

Anyone towing with the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. I need to get a different tow vehicle. I have a 31' Airstream. What do you like? Dislike?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Hi I own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I pull my 2013 25' international with it. I love it.

There's an air streamer pulling a 30' here in the forums. I'm not sure I would want to pull bigger. It's nice to have a little safety margin. My trailer weights 6600 loaded and ready to camp. Even though it's plated at around 7200. The Jeep is rated at 7200 in the diesel version. I get around 16-17 mpg towing and 24-29 not towing.

The Jeep will run hot in the mountains. I mean it runs right up against the red line on long climbs. But, never overheated. There's a little issue with the DEF injector. It's not protected in anyway. Even with the skid plate package. So, a big puddle can break it off. Then the jeep goes into limp mode. But, a guy in the jeep garage forum made a plate that protects it. He's selling them now.

Overall I think it's a great SUV tow vehicle. Diesel with an 8 speed. Lots of torque!

Let me know if you have any questions.

I chose America
Bigventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
I test drove this a few months ago and the handling didn't feel as tight as I'd like. It's a big vehicle and it sort of rolls. I was also worried about the newness of the FIAT engine. The Engine has the grunt to pull anything AS makes IMO.

Most cost effective solution would be to tweak it to work for you.

I'm experimenting with a 2011 Q7 which is sort of a German "cousin" to your vehicle with the 3.0TDI 8spd 4WD.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
As far as tight goes, you have to increase the tire pressure up to the max 44psi when towing. This helps a lot.

I chose America
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
I have a 2007 Jeep GC diesel with the 3L CRD Mercedes engine. LOVE IT. What a beast, so comfy and it loves the hwy. I will definitely get another if this one ever kicks the bucket. I also like the styling, it is a serious looking vehicle for grownups, not a zoomzoom for kiddies. I like the squarer looks, not swoopy windows that you can't see out of. I even had one car salesman say, "That's what mirrors are for" when I noted that it was impossible to shoulder check in the SUV I was test driving. Oye. Ever heard of 'BLIND SPOT'?
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Beaufort , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Hi I own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I pull my 2013 25' international with it. I love it.

There's an air streamer pulling a 30' here in the forums. I'm not sure I would want to pull bigger. It's nice to have a little safety margin. My trailer weights 6600 loaded and ready to camp. Even though it's plated at around 7200. The Jeep is rated at 7200 in the diesel version. I get around 16-17 mpg towing and 24-29 not towing.

The Jeep will run hot in the mountains. I mean it runs right up against the red line on long climbs. But, never overheated. There's a little issue with the DEF injector. It's not protected in anyway. Even with the skid plate package. So, a big puddle can break it off. Then the jeep goes into limp mode. But, a guy in the jeep garage forum made a plate that protects it. He's selling them now.

Overall I think it's a great SUV tow vehicle. Diesel with an 8 speed. Lots of torque!

I'm Pulling an FC 20 with "same" TV. Curious about the DEF plate, got any info on the guy selling it?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Smile Jeep GC with Diesel engine as TV

Quote:

Enjoyed reading your comments relative to towing with the Jeep GC diesel. We have an International Serenity, 23' and tow with a Ford 250 Crew Cab with the 6.7 L turbo diesel. This arrangement is overkill but truly a joy towing. I have no reason to change The TV as it is. 2011 model with 23K miles. Like new. However, as a mature male ever anxious to have a new toy I am thinking of buying an SUV like the Jeep. I hesitate because of the towing role I need. Hearing that the subject works may help me move forward......meaning buy a Jeep or be content for a bit. Eventually I will buy and as a result of the info you provided buy a Jeep. Oh, the wife has a voice in such decisions so I maybe outvoted; Her's seems to count for two whereas mine is a one. Thanks again for the info. A real life help.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
I test drove this a few months ago and the handling didn't feel as tight as I'd like. It's a big vehicle and it sort of rolls. I was also worried about the newness of the FIAT engine. The Engine has the grunt to pull anything AS makes IMO.

Most cost effective solution would be to tweak it to work for you.

I'm experimenting with a 2011 Q7 which is sort of a German "cousin" to your vehicle with the 3.0TDI 8spd 4WD.
Its the Mercedes CRD 3.0 or derivative in there
Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I was also worried about the newness of the FIAT engine.

I didn't read this the first time. The Fiat engine is not new at all. It's been used in EU for a couple of years now.

I chose America
Old 04-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I didn't read this the first time. The Fiat engine is not new at all. It's been used in EU for a couple of years now.
It is not really a Fiat engine, but rather a VM Motori engine. Fiat owns VM, but then they own Dodge too. It does have a Fiat fuel system on this particular engine.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I worked at an auto dealership back in the 70s that sold Fiats. Terrible reliability and Fiat left the US market. Now they are back selling cars in the US and their reliability rating is the worst of all manufacturers in the US. Chrysler is now Fiat-Chrysler. I had two Chrysler minivans in the past and they were unreliable too. As expensive as the Jeep is and that several owners report they get close to over heating while towing on grades that would tend me to cross them off my short list. Why take a chance?

Kelvin
Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
I'm Pulling an FC 20 with "same" TV. Curious about the DEF plate, got any info on the guy selling it?
Check the Jeep Garage. Your model is wk2. I believe he has a web site now. His name is Dom and he's in CA. The plate comes ready to go. Just raise the suspension up and bolt it on. I had my dealer do it when they did an oil change. No charge.

There's all kinds of good info about Jeeps in the garage. I would check your air filter too. They had a bad batch and the seals cracked. No good for a diesel.

I chose America
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I worked at an auto dealership back in the 70s that sold Fiats. Terrible reliability and Fiat left the US market. Now they are back selling cars in the US and their reliability rating is the worst of all manufacturers in the US. Chrysler is now Fiat-Chrysler. I had two Chrysler minivans in the past and they were unreliable too. As expensive as the Jeep is and that several owners report they get close to over heating while towing on grades that would tend me to cross them off my short list. Why take a chance?

Kelvin
Why take a chance? First close to overheating, is not the same as overheating. The gauges are more accurate. For the money the Jeep is a great tow vehicle. The Jeep GC is the least expensive of its competitors.

I do agree about the Chrysler and Fiat. But, Jeep is a separate division.

I chose America
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The head wrench turner at my local Jeep dealership had few good things to say about the new diesel motor. They have been having so many come into the shop with major issues that instead of attempting major repairs that Chrysler is now doing complete engine replacements. They currently had two in the shop waiting for the motors to come in. I was considering trading in my 2011 GC 5.7 for a new diesel model but I believe I will wait a little longer and see if their reliability gets any better. I did drive one and was very impressed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote