Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Warranty

If you are purchasing a factory extended warranty. You will not be able to purchase an unlimited miles warranty. They limit the diesel to a 5 years.

The jeep still has regular power train and emission warranty. Same as any other new jeep

I decided not to purchase an extended warranty myself. I don't believe in them. To date my eco diesel has only need software updates and oil changes.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
We need facts, not heresay. Jim
LOL, this is a public forum and Airforums. Mostly just uninformed opinions here. If you want facts you will have to seek them out yourself.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #23
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
FUD casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
We are not aware of a reduced warranty period for the Ram Ecodiesel nor is the dealership where we test-drove one yesterday. Where is this coming from?

cheryl
It comes from people wanting to cast doubt about the EcoDiesel. Why anyone that doesn't actually own an EcoDiesel would do that, makes me wonder. Maybe they feel the need to share what they thought was helpful information, but I don't think it helps anyone to spread internet forum rumors.
The only warranty reduction I know of is Ford's Powertrain warranty to 60,000 miles. I looked on Ford's website, but had a difficult time locating the warranty information. I did find basic warranty information here.

RAM 5yr/100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty
Ram Trucks - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans - Warranty

Jeep 5yr/100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty
Basic Limited & Powertrain Limited Warranty Coverage | Jeep

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I test pulled my 2012 25' FB with a 2014 Grand Cherokee over the Eisenhower tunnel both directions in the winter with the outside ambient around 35 degrees. It pushed the temp gauge right to the red line. I rolled down the windows turned the heat on full blast and finally had to come to a near crawl for fear of burning up the demo before I got it back to Denver. The dealers response after nearly a week was bad fuel end of discussion. I would never attempt the pull if it were summer temps.

I bought a 2014 ML350 Bluetec and now pull a 2015 30' Bunk.The Benz will get warm (max 90C under 200F) on 6% plus grades in the summer. I still turn the interior heat on to assist which will bring it back down to 80C. We have over 30k on the ML with half of that actual towing in and out of CO.

Best mileage around 16 towing cruise at 65 no wind. It goes down to 12 worst case depending on speed and head winds.

I do have the hitch reinforced (CanAm) and pull with a PP.

We absolutely love the ML for towing and daily driving. I am very disappointed that the ML is no longer being offered with the 3.0 diesel so I guess we will need to move up to the GL in a year or two. Maybe low mileage used at that point.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I test pulled my 2012 25' FB with a 2014 Grand Cherokee over the Eisenhower tunnel both directions in the winter with the outside ambient around 35 degrees. It pushed the temp gauge right to the red line. I rolled down the windows turned the heat on full blast and finally had to come to a near crawl for fear of burning up the demo before I got it back to Denver. The dealers response after nearly a week was bad fuel end of discussion. I would never attempt the pull if it were summer temps.
Did any warning lights or chimes alert you to an overheating condition, or did you just feel it was too hot? Does the Jeep GC have a digital temperature readout or just the hapless gauge? If it does have the digital temperature in the EVIC, what was the indicated temperature?
In heavy load conditions, the PCM will limit fuel flow to avoid overheating. If you didn't have any warning chimes or messages, you were within normal operating temperatures.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Did any warning lights or chimes alert you to an overheating condition, or did you just feel it was too hot? Does the Jeep GC have a digital temperature readout or just the hapless gauge? If it does have the digital temperature in the EVIC, what was the indicated temperature?
In heavy load conditions, the PCM will limit fuel flow to avoid overheating. If you didn't have any warning chimes or messages, you were within normal operating temperatures.
This was windows down, AC off, heat full on and starting to slow down.

I do not consider this normal with 32 degree ambient and would not ever wait for warning chimes or messages before I started taking actions to keep it from getting there. That is why I watch the gauges.

Others have shared the same concerns. I am a big fan of the Cherokee and have owned several over the years. It was my first choice until the test pull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Temp on Pull.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	235859  
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
2012FB,
So, you really don't know what the actual temperature was then?

Your test tow is a good read and I thank you for sharing. Your thread caused me to have concern about overheating in the EcoDiesel, but I have not had the same experience that you have, nor do I know of anyone else that has with the JGC or the RAM 1500. There may have been a problem with that particular unit.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I would expect the eco diesel ram truck to do fine. I traded my 2500 HD Denali for the ML to get out of a truck TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
"I bought a 2014 ML350 Bluetec and now pull a 2015 30' Bunk.The Benz will get warm (max 90C under 200F) on 6% plus grades in the summer. I still turn the interior heat on to assist which will bring it back down to 80C. We have over 30k on the ML with half of that actual towing in and out of CO.
Best mileage around 16 towing cruise at 65 no wind. It goes down to 12 worst case depending on speed and head winds."

2012FB: Did you upgrade the cooling radiator fan on your ML-350BT? This is a fairly expensive option ($1,200) but since I made the change, the 'Beast' has never wavered higher then the middle and I've also noticed slightly better MPG (18-20 @ 63 miles per hour). Obviously our AS are different in size/weight, but you should review with your dealer to ensure that you actually do have the HD cooling fan installed (it goes from 65 to 95 watts and uses up all the available space).
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I towed my 25 though New Mexico, Arizona in June with 100+ degree days and the AC on. These are not the 14,000 footers but, there was still some long grades. My GC got hot like the prior photo shows. I got concerned, I let off the speed a little, it came down a little, after the peek on the decent it went back to normal. I checked the other temps, oil and trans. They were warmer that normal but within limits.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
"I bought a 2014 ML350 Bluetec and now pull a 2015 30' Bunk.The Benz will get warm (max 90C under 200F) on 6% plus grades in the summer. I still turn the interior heat on to assist which will bring it back down to 80C. We have over 30k on the ML with half of that actual towing in and out of CO.
Best mileage around 16 towing cruise at 65 no wind. It goes down to 12 worst case depending on speed and head winds."

2012FB: Did you upgrade the cooling radiator fan on your ML-350BT? This is a fairly expensive option ($1,200) but since I made the change, the 'Beast' has never wavered higher then the middle and I've also noticed slightly better MPG (18-20 @ 63 miles per hour). Obviously our AS are different in size/weight, but you should review with your dealer to ensure that you actually do have the HD cooling fan installed (it goes from 65 to 95 watts and uses up all the available space).
LongShot, what year is your ML? I have the factory Tow package but will check to make sure I have the HD fan. I feel the cooling is currently good except on the 6% plus high altitude grades and even then with the AC off and heater on it stays at normal. With that said if there is an upgraded fan I will get it put on.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have just returned from my Easter trip to Fort Lauderdale via Nashville and Saint George Island towing a 30' Signature with a 2014 Jeep GC Diesel. Zero issues. 5500 k. The Jeep is clearly a generational improvement in comfort, handling, and performance (440 lbs ft vs 377) over my previous 2008 Jeep diesel, which I found to be an excellent all around vehicle. I now cruise at 70 instead of the previous 62 mph and obtain the same average towing fuel economy of 14-15 mpg. 44lbs rear and 42 front, 78 in the Airstream. I did use the paddle shifters in the hills, never needed to go below 6th. Oil temps never increased more than 5% but it was cool in them thar hills. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Always good to get such information. One question; isn't the 30' trailer heavier than the Jeep GC and shouldn't that be an issue regarding the safety of towing? I reflect here the laws we faced in Europe where the TV had to outweigh the TT by 15%. Different rules here but many folk say you don't want the TV pushed around by the TT especially down steep hills.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
2012FB: I have a 2012 ML 350 BlueTec; the only upgrades the dealer recommended when I had the brake controller installed (the towing package didn't have that or a 7-pin) was the beefy fan. He did say I probably would never need it as these things are ridiculously overbuilt, but also mentioned that the car would like the extra cooling through mountains so I swallowed the kool-aid and spent the $1,200. My shooting season takes me from Florida to Texas to the Carolinas, Kentucky, Indiana and even into Michigan - With all these miles, I just didn't want to chance anything.
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Geuss View Post
Always good to get such information. One question; isn't the 30' trailer heavier than the Jeep GC and shouldn't that be an issue regarding the safety of towing? I reflect here the laws we faced in Europe where the TV had to outweigh the TT by 15%. Different rules here but many folk say you don't want the TV pushed around by the TT especially down steep hills.
The European rules are as arbitrary as the north american ones (banning safety equipment that is standard here for legacy reasons) and such. The trailers are completely different(narrower standard?) with the axle moved for light tongue weights even on giant tow weights. I don't recall the 15% being one of the rules there, and if it is somewhere it's arbitrary based on using such a lightweight towing setup that it's probably meaningless.

maybe if their "caravans" get into trouble they just detach and lets them fall into a nearby mountain pass. There's a "Hitch Hints" article on this same subject with actual information.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I have 52,500+ miles on our 2014 JGC Summit Ecodiesel, with over 14,000 miles towing our 23FB (CAT confirmed loaded weight of 5,600 lbs, and 560 lbs TW using an Equalizer hitch). Love the paddle shifters and Diesel engine braking across many mountain passes. I watch both engine and transmission temps closely. Though they both occasionally rise, I have never overheated. Though my typical T ranges well below these levels here are my highest observed T's: engine oil - 242 F / Transmission - 195 F. These were digital readings from the EVIC. The idiot lights have never illuminated for either trams or engine, though the coolant Temp gauge has risen to near top of the analogue scale when driving over the CA I5 Grapevine at 70 mph in ambient temperatures of 75 F.
Highway mileage is typically 29-32 mpg at 65-70 mph w/o trailer and 16.4 mpg with trailer at 60-65 mph.
I hardly know the AS is behind me and easily pass slower vehicles over mountain passes.
I did have MOPAR skid plates installed and also the aftermarket plate offered by Dom in CA. The latter is a must-have no matter where you drive as the DEF injector is otherwise vulnerable.
Overall, the JGC is the most comfortable and versatile vehicle I have owned. And I have had many, including European and American makes.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0L V6 Diesel SUV

Quote:
A 30 ' Airstream could also be heavier than a Ram 3500 so I am not sure what weight has to do with the ability of a vehicle to safely tow an Airstream. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If I read WestieHouse post above correctly, the axles of his 23FB are carrying 5,600 pounds of their 6,000 pound rating and the tongue weight computed of 560 pounds put the trailer in an exceed the GVW status by 160 pounds. Exceeding the GVW gets some folks a wedgie in the mind.

We crossed the CAT scales with 5,620 pounds on the trailer axles of our 23D with the tongue yet to be determined on a stand alone basis on level ground.

I might suggest storing the unit with only a few gallons of fresh water in the tank to reduce the load on the axles a little while the unit is in storage.

A friend that restores Airstreams suggested the axles service life may not be as long with a nearly capacity load on them all the time.

Our Classic axles are supporting about 8,200 pounds or 82% of their 10,000 pound capacity.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Rate this Entry
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0L V6 Diesel SUV
Posted Today at 08:55 AM by WestieHouse
Quote:
The bigger issue is tongue weight. The JGC Ecodiesel is rated at 720 lbs max tongue weight. All newer AS above 23 feet (and including the 23D) exceed this amount. That was a determining factor for our selection of the 23 FB.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #40
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
One question; isn't the 30' trailer heavier than the Jeep GC and shouldn't that be an issue regarding the safety of towing? I reflect here the laws we faced in Europe where the TV had to outweigh the TT by 15%. Different rules here but many folk say you don't want the TV pushed around by the TT especially down steep hills.
The Euro rules relating to the relative weights of tow vehicle and trailer relate to the use of surge brakes, whereby the braking action of the tow vehicle activates the trailer brakes. That doesn't come into play with electrically activated brakes.

Some like a heavier tow vehicle as they believe it is safer. Thousands of semi trailer drivers with trailers greatly outweighing their tractors would disagree.

Interesting comment on being pushed down hills. All those promoting diesel pick up trucks with exhaust brakes are planning on being pushed down hills, when they reference not needing to use their trailer brakes.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote