Old 01-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Some like a heavier tow vehicle as they believe it is safer. Thousands of semi trailer drivers with trailers greatly outweighing their tractors would disagree.
Without providing context, this would be misleading. Semi's have a fifth wheel hitch (not a wimpy bumper hitch), the hitch is located on the axles, eliminating sway, they have 2 rear axles and 8 rear wheels (improved traction/braking), trailer brakes are more potent than RV brakes, and the drivers are professional -- they tow for a living, not as a hobby.

There was a thread (I believe it got deleted) that cited a technical article that stated the relative weight of TV and Trailer in bumper pull trailers is a factor is overall stability.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #44
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I can agree that it is a factor, we probably just disagree about the significance of it. I think the danger is in assuming that greater tow vehicle weight alone will improve stability. All other things are rarely equal. Tow vehicle weight is a factor, but so is tow vehicle stability (among other things) and heavier vehicles are rarely better handling. If that heavier vehicle has a higher centre of gravity, there is another example of competing influences. This is even before we get to the risk that the owner of a heavier vehicle may believe his rig is safer and thus pay less attention to the importance of loading and set up.

If cyclical sway due to the hitch pivot point being located behind the rear axle, which creates a lever for lateral forces to operate on, is a concern then the obvious solution is a pivot point projection hitch. Take away the lever.

Is this the article you were looking for?
http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/...icle-dynamics/

Old 01-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #45
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Really great article. Thanks for posting. Jim
Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #46
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
2015 Summit Ecodiesel 4x4. 18.6 mpg towing with cruise control on. The highest engine oil temp recorded was 228f, trans oil temp 199f, while acending the I75 grade just west of Knoxville. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	621.6 KB
ID:	255041  
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0L V6 Diesel SUV

Which towing mirrors do you use with your Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
I have the same size TV and all the tow mirrors I saw were not wide enough to see the sides of my AS. I purchased the Milenco Aero mirrors from Can-AM RV and changed the rods to make them longer. I used straight 1/2 inch alum rod approx 24 inches each side. Very easy to change and only requires a small hole to be drilled at one end. I did not need to bend the arm to get a good view. They are very wide if you are parked but do not hit the side of my ML350 when the automatic folding mirrors are activated. Milenco are from the UK and used for narrower trailers but with this modification they work great. May be a little shakey for some since they are so long but they give good visibility and have never come off. I also have my backup camera on all the time driving so I can see if I am passed the vehicle behind me to change lanes with total confidence.

Mirrors | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Without providing context, this would be misleading. Semi's have a fifth wheel hitch (not a wimpy bumper hitch), the hitch is located on the axles, eliminating sway, they have 2 rear axles and 8 rear wheels (improved traction/braking), trailer brakes are more potent than RV brakes, and the drivers are professional -- they tow for a living, not as a hobby.

There was a thread (I believe it got deleted) that cited a technical article that stated the relative weight of TV and Trailer in bumper pull trailers is a factor is overall stability.
My 4 axle kenworth with dump box loaded weighs 55,500 lbs. the pintle hitch is behind the axles pulling a 3 axle pup , loaded weight is 43,500 lbs, on icy 2 lane roads or interstate , it drives and handles like a dream , the power unit IS HEAVIER than the trailer. My ram diesel is at 8900 lbs as my as trailer is 8800lbs and it also handles very nice.....weight of the tow vehicle does make a difference., driving big trucks 50 yrs!....:
Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. Any owners out there that can give some towing advice? Do you paddle shift down when going up hill? What suspension mode when towing?
Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
I travelled rt from Seattle to St John's, Newfoundland (13,700 miles) towing my 23 FB weighing 5,500 lbs. I found that the Jeep 8 speed transission finds the best gear going up hill if you leave it in fully sutomatic mode. I do use "sport" mode sometimes to keep it a little longer in the lower gears, especially when headed uphill from a dead stop.

Paddle shifters are great for downhill engine braking and I simply watch the tachometer. I rarely need to use brakes. I keep an eye on the temperatures of oil, coolant, and transmission. The analog engine temp light on the right will rise to near the top of the scale, but the warning light never comes on and digital temp readouts stay within range. I have not had to turn off a/c or stop and stay in neutral (manual suggestion if overheating occurs). I DO have the tow package installed as orig equipment. Avoid biodiesel if possible, and learn about expiration dates for DEF and the sensitivity to heat. Fill the tank to no more than 75% and have fresh fluid available if you get a bad DEF warning. Had not happened to me, but read Jeep forums. Drive in Normal mode and it automatically shifts to aero mode at about 52 mph after a minute or so.
You may need to play with settings for Off Road height when hitching and unhitching. It depends on a lot of things.
That's my 2 cents - still learning myself, but the Jerp HC Ecodiesel is a tertific tow vehicle if you carefully watch all the usual parameters.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:47 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Thought I would post a general comment about the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesels which go back to 2007.

Mine is a 2007 GC Limited 4x4 with the 6cyl Mercedes diesel, pulls about 8000lbs with no problem and averages 24-25mpg on the highway at 65mph. I have also used it to pull a large Uhaul fully loaded cross country. This model has the 4speed tranny with overdrive. Only recommendation from Jeep is to shut off the OD when towing heavy loads.

I do not tow an Airstream with the Jeep, instead my Airstream diesel tows the Jeep! First it was easy to add the tow bar brackets without removing the front bumper. Second, unless I look at my rear camera, never know its back there. Towed it from NC to Montana in October without any problems. Great vehicle....can not say enough positive things about them. In a year or 2 I plan to trade it for a 2014/15 diesel that comes off a lease.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #53
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrum View Post
Just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. Any owners out there that can give some towing advice? Do you paddle shift down when going up hill? What suspension mode when towing?
The first trip with ours was to Jackson Center. So I experimented with ECO on, off, sport, and normal default; more often then not, I'd forget to turn ECO off after a stop, and not notice any difference. I do use the paddles to downshift when I need more engine braking occasionally, but that is not too often. Cruise control works more effectively than the 13' RAM HEMI/8-speed with 3.92 gears, meaning it has yet to downshift lower than 6 on grades. Remarkable considering the rig averages 18.6 pulling a 28' Serenity. The RAM would pull very well, downshifting to 4 rarely, 5 frequently however.

Balkamp towing mirrors are used on mine. They work well if you take time to adjust them properly.

Opted for the 4x4 FOR THE SOLE REASON that the 4x2 is NOT available with a selectable or even passive limited-slip rear differential. That alone pushed us into ordering what we have now, but otherwise have no regrets.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Quote: "... the rig averages 18.6 pulling a 28' Serenity."

Man, that is wonderful. These new smaller diesels are just amazing. Up until they showed up, my old '96 Ford 7.3L V8 diesel was about as good as it gets, averaging a little better than 14 mpg over the long term towing a 27 footer. These "little" diesels got me beat, no question about it.

Congratulations and a tip-of-the-hat to all you with these new generation diesels!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Cruise control works very well, and the "Adaptive Cruise Control" on my Jeep GC Summit is a joy in traffic. It maintains a set distance behind any vehicle in front of you while maintaing the speed you set when clear ahead. ACC actually brings the Jeep to a complete stop if traffic slows entirely and then warns it is about to disengage and give brske conttol back to you. Braking always disengages the ACC or regular cruise control (it has both options).

Everything I've read says that you should NOT use cruise control in adverse road conditions or when towing, so I usually do not use it while towing my AS.

I use Millenco mirrors that have worked very well without interferring with regular heated mirrors on the Jeep. But you cannot fold the mirrors while parked if windows are up on the doors. Minor inconvenience.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #56
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have the Milenco mirrors on my GC and can fold them in with no issues when they are mounted on top of the mirror. When mounted on the underside, I cannot fold them in. So, I vary the location based on my parking plans with no variation in performance. Jim