Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

2015 22' FB Sport
Bradenton , Florida
2015 Honda Pilot

We have a new (to us) 2015 Sport 22 weighing 4500 lbs. We tow with a 2015 Honda Pilot with 250 hp that has a rated tow capacity of 4500 lbs. In our early ventures, we found the Pilot to work very hard to tow up any hills. Over all, our milage dropped from about 23 highway to 13 and the oil used up quickly. We are considering a Honda Ridgeline at 280 hp with a tow rated 5000 lbs. Is this enough of a change to relieve the strain on the tow vehicle.
Thanks for your help.
Frank Kibbe
Frank Kibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Oil consumption is a little strange, but mpg drop from 23 to 13 is not bad at all. We tow 16ft Sport with a 2010 Ridgeline (250 hp, 5000). I think the new Ridge at 280 hp would be the answer you're looking for if you stay with Honda. Regardless of the greater horsepower, the Ridge has better gearing for towing than the Pilot, at the expense of maybe 1-2 mpg.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Detroit , Michigan
It might be enough to relieve some of the strain, but one thing automotive manufacturers don't mention is that your towing capacity is the amount of trailer you can pull MINUS your passengers, cargo, anything else you load in your car.

With a fully loaded 22 Sport and occupants/cargo in the vehicle, you would be maxed out at 5000 lbs. Food for thought.

You do have some leeway though because the 22 Sport's base weight is in the 3-thousand pound mark. 5000 lbs is maxed if you have a full 4500 lb trailer.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
2015 Honda Pilot

A 40% drop in MPG is to be expected. At the same speed. More than that warrants investigation.

Oil consumption goes up when an engine works harder than is expected.

Oil consumption increases can have to do with a variety of possibilities, most of them mechanical and far less likely with today's motors. I'll leave them off.

I'd start by checking the owners manual to see if a heavier grade of oil is recommended for severe service.

I'd also change engine oil and filter according to the severe service schedule. Time intervals mean more than mile intervals.

Reasons for an engine to work harder than is expected (different than just working hard, which is good for them) include improper tire pressure on both vehicles. Dragging brakes on both vehicles. (Trailer brake controller op). Improper alignment on both vehicles. Bearing preset on trailer. Dirty air and fuel filter on tow vehicle as well as no exhaust restrictions.

If nearing, I'd change transmission, power steering and drive axle oil. Have coolant life and thermostat tested.

Have all this verified or serviced according to factory spec.

Next on my list would be starting over on the hitch lash up. The three pass scale method. Dead level trailer resulting and tow vehicle within weight bounds.

Finally, there should be no attitude on the part of the driver to "keep up with traffic". Let the combined vehicle get up to speed gradually. I'm not saying not to use full throttle. But most of the time it isn't justified unless entering a highway.

FWIW, I rarely enter a highway faster than 35-mph in my work truck. Just takes awhile to get up to 55. From there I let it ease on up to the usual travel speed.

What the other idiots do is their problem. If one is at 45-mph on an Interstate, one is at the lower legal speed. So don't sweat it. It's part of the learning curve.

As well, towing speeds below 65-mph. On a 300-mile day any faster isn't justified. Avoiding lane changes and clusters of cars means lower stress on vehicle, not just driver. Wider peripheral vision means better awareness. Shorter brake times. Etc.

"Grand Aero" brand towing mirrors if you don't have a set.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As to moving to another vehicle, greater TQ means more than HP when it comes to towing. In general.

The other spec to compare is published shipping weight. Takes more power to move more weight. After that is number of transmission gears (we used to be more concerned with drive axle gear ratios). More gears means it's easier to keep engine in best part of powerband .

As you appear favorable toward Honda, you may wish to contact the owner of Can AM RV outside Toronto.
Andrew Thomson. Posts here as Andrew_T. Has posted he is pleased to help others set up good towing combination. Has done 10,000+ in past forty years. He's an AS dealer.

He may suggest upgrades to a particular vehicle, or an entirely different vehicle. Very good reasons as to why. Read his posts here, and info at the dealership website.

Good luck
Old 12-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Not what you asked, but we had a Pilot when we were Airstream shopping. Once we decided on the 22 Sport, we got a Toyota Tundra 5.8L extended cab short bed. If you are considering changing vehicles, consider the Toyota. I drive it every day, and it is much easier to drive in the city than a Suburban. I get about 15 MPG around town, which isn't awesome, but is livable. But I really like the Tundra and how easy it is to drive.
And if you do consider the Tundra, be sure to look at the trim level that has the rear window that rolls completely down. That's my favorite feature. I can have the window down at highway speed on nice days and get great fresh air without the wind blowing my hair in my eyes, or the need for sunscreen like with a sunroof.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I would be looking for a tow vehicle with at least a 6000lb tow capacity and preferably 7000+. While the larger tow vehicle maybe combersome around town, it will greatly improve your towing experience.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
2017 Honda Ridgeline should be fine with a 4500# camper. See this video:

I would still carefully read the Ridgeline's manual for any possible gotchas (say, is the use of weight distribution hitch allowed? etc).
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I believe the Pilot shared transmissions with the Odyssey, which I've read could be problematic when taxed with heavy loads. The Ridgeline has a six speed transmission that was selected for the vehicle because it is better suited to heavy use like towing, so it may be a better choice. They just seem to be a lot of money compared to equivalent vehicles like the Colorado.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Worthless video.

Generally, a motor that produces greater HP than TQ provides both at a fairly high rpm.

I'd imagine (but don't know) that manual trans control on the downgrade will work well.

Too bad the dimwits in the video couldn't be bothered with what's important.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Worthless video.

Generally, a motor that produces greater HP than TQ provides both at a fairly high rpm.

I'd imagine (but don't know) that manual trans control on the downgrade will work well.

Too bad the dimwits in the video couldn't be bothered with what's important.
We watched one of their videos when I was trying to learn something about the Ram Ecodiesel before we bought one and got zero benefit from it. One contact with Andrew Thomson at Can-Am RV and we had the things we needed to know, and how to set it up after we got it.

Go to the experts for expert advise.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
2015 Honda Pilot

Bad video, but forgot to say thanks for having posted it, Rostam. I hadn't seen any other videos of the revised vehicle.

Disappointment with so many videos no matter the subject is that there is no script. Would make all the difference even when on wrong track.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Wow! I guess posting this video really touched a nerve.

To the OP: The video I posted is by no means scientific. You can safely ignore the ascend time and the number of brake application during descent as attributes to compare different tow vehicles. These attributes change a lot depending on the traffic pattern, ambient temperature, and wind conditions.

It would have been great if TFL did their tests in summer (most tests I've seen are in cooler month) and provided some info on important tow vehicle temperatures (engine, transmission, etc).

However, the videos do provide you with a general idea of how the vehicle would perform. They are towing a trailer whose weight is known, up and down a grade whose slope and length is known, at 60 MPH, and they have 2/3 chubby guys in the cabin (real world payload). I have seen other videos where a sedan is towing an empty trailer, in a completely flat, closed circuit (no traffic around), in an ideal day (no rain/wind), doing lane changes at 35 MPH. I find those video completely unrealistic.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Panama City , Florida
I'm curious as to where you purchased your 2015 Sport. What discussion ensued from the dealer regarding your Honda Pilot?
JetDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We have been towing our 2015 16' Sport with a 2015 Honda Pilot AWD for the past 2 years. It is nicely matched for this trailer but would not want to tow anything larger unless towing on flat terrain. The transmission is a five speed and the overdrive lockout is 3rd gear, which produces fairly high RPM's at cruising speed. Unless in hilly terrain, I leave it in drive and keep the speed below 63 mph. Also, the Pilot has restrictions on tongue weight and the factory does not recommend a WD hitch (though many do use one). We don't and have not had sway problems but anything longer would definitely require WD, IMHO.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote