Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I ordered a 2016 F150 King Ranch, ecoboost, max tow and pretty much completely loaded with options, and was told the payload would be 2060lbs. It arrived today but it says on the door the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1506lbs. The Ford dealer says that is not the payload number, but just the load for inside the cab. I don't think that is correct. Any experts who know the facts out there, I think this is the payload, which leaves no room for any cargo after I add on myself, wife, dog, and tongue weight, so not sure if I will make the purchase, even though it is a beauty. They still say the payload is over 2000 lbs, what do you think, here is a picture? If this is the payload, then I think I ordered the wrong truck.
Ask them for a letter on corporate stationery stating the actual payload for your truck (including the VIN) and watch them squirm. They either don't understand their product or are scrambling to save the sale. The number on the door frame placard is Ford's official payload recommendation for that specific truck.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ask them for a letter on corporate stationery stating the actual payload for your truck (including the VIN) and watch them squirm. They either don't understand their product or are scrambling to save the sale. The number on the door frame placard is Ford's official payload recommendation for that specific truck.
Great idea. Funny thing is, the sales manager already offered that in writing, as you suggested. Now what, do we become test pilots?
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Your dealer is lying, plain and simple.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, mine is a 2014 F-150 XLT Crew cab, Ecoboost, 145" wheel base, 3:73 gears, 4X4, Off road package, 36 gallon gas tank, and Max Tow package. My payload is 1745 lbs. The book says 1900 lbs, but I believe that the extra weight of the skid plates and/or the tailgate step reduced it by 155 lbs.

The yellow sticker is the real payload amount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05125.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	252759  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Decided to look at the truck. Payload is 1,810 which will leave me with 250-300 of capacity. Half tons have certainly come along way.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #26

2017 28' International
Palmyra , Pennsylvania
2nd Chance

I have a F150 super crew 3.5L ecoboost with 145 wheelbase, it is equipped with the towing package in model King Ranch. The payload sticker reads 1604 pounds.
2nd Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Yellow sticker is the cargo capacity.

Payload and Cargo are defined terms in the regulations as I understand it. You will find that the manufacturers refer to Payload Capacity in their brochures, etc. This number is the best you can expect since it represents a stripped down truck. In other words, no options, accessories, larger fuel tank, etc.

Cargo Capacity is the number on the Tire and Loading Information Placard (the yellow sticker) on the door jamb for this very reason that is coming out in this thread. The dealers typically do not know or they like stretching the truth. The yellow sticker shows the actual, bonafide cargo capacity for that specific vehicle. This number is derived from the vehicle's build and options that are installed.

This specified cargo capacity on the yellow sticker is the limit for the total weight of passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of the trailer. It is typically a calculated number from the build sheet and may well be a few pounds conservative but not by much. The only way to find out how conservative is to go to the Cat scale and weigh the truck full of fuel but empty of passengers or cargo. Subtract this actual scale weight from the GVWR for the vehicle and you will get the cargo capacity. It will likely be within 75 pounds or so of the number on the yellow sticker. By the way, the GVWR is specified on a white sticker somewhere on the door jamb as well.

Bottom line this is an issue that catches many folks who thought they were buying more capacity in their truck than they actually leave the lot with.

So if a dealer is willing to write you a letter and tell you about "Payload Capacity", shift gears on them and make them delineate the "Cargo Capacity". Payload Capacity is quite irrelevant once the truck is built. It is the Cargo Capacity that you end up with that is important.

At the end of the day regardless of what a poorly informed or dishonest dealer/salesperson says, the facts are that the Cargo Capacity is printed on the Tire and Loading Information Placard because it is required by regulation. This thread exemplifies why it is needed. Unfortunately many folks do not learn about or understand it until after they have acquired a truck that is less capable than they wanted and thought they were buying.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:37 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Gvwr

[QUOTE=Alphonse;1714822]Payload and Cargo are defined terms in the regulations as I understand it. You will find that the manufacturers refer to Payload Capacity in their brochures, etc. This number is the best you can expect since it represents a stripped down truck. In other words, no options, accessories, larger fuel tank, etc. Cargo Capacity is the number on the Tire and Loading Information Placard (the yellow sticker) on the door jamb for this very reason that is coming out in this thread. The dealers typically do not know or they like stretching the truth. The yellow sticker shows the actual, bonafide cargo capacity for that specific vehicle. This number is derived from the vehicle's build and options that are installed.
Ths specified cargo capacity on the yellow sticker is the limit for the total weight of passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of the trailer. It is typically a calculated number from the build sheet and may well be a few pounds conservative but not by much. The only way to find out how conservative is to go to the Cat scale and weigh the truck full of fuel but empty of passengers or cargo. Subtract this actual scale weight from the GVWR for the vehicle and you will get the cargo capacity. It will likely be within 75 pounds or so of the number on the yellow sticker. By the way, the GVWR is specified on a white sticker somewhere on the door jamb as well."

The GVWR on this truck is 7000 lbs. as shown in the picture of the white sticker on the door jamb. The invoice says the shipping weight of the truck is 4784 lbs without much fuel. This truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank so another 216 lbs for fuel should add up to 5000 lbs., although I guess going to the CAT scales is the only way to know for sure. If these numbers are correct then it seems like the "cargo or as many call it, payload capacity" would be 2000 lbs, not the 1506 lbs printed on the yellow sticker. I'm not sure why the numbers are so different, or if I should feel comfortable with 2000 lbs loaded on my truck. Just don't want to have buyers remorse. Thanks for all the input.
I wish the yellow sticker was a larger number, more like the number the OP found on the truck he is purchasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	252785  
Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
I have a 2015 3.5L Ecoboost tow vehicle.

I have spent the past year towing a 23FB Flying Cloud (About 6000 GVW). Towing capacity for the F150 is 10,700 Lbs according to the vehicle specs. I have taken this trailer to Colorado, South Dakota(Both in the mountains), Texas, and Tenn. (10,000 miles). No problems at all. As a matter of fact I have been amazed at how easy the towing is. I get about 12 miles to the gallon while towing. Low 20s when not towing. I have just traded the 2015 Flying Cloud this past week for a 2016 27FB (7600 GVW). The Airstream dealer has assured me there will be no problem with this extra weight. I test drove the new trailer for about 20 or 30 miles and felt very little difference in the "towing feel" over the 23FB.
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
The GVWR on this truck is 7000 lbs. as shown in the picture of the white sticker on the door jamb. The invoice says the shipping weight of the truck is 4784 lbs without much fuel. This truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank so another 216 lbs for fuel should add up to 5000 lbs., although I guess going to the CAT scales is the only way to know for sure. If these numbers are correct then it seems like the "cargo or as many call it, payload capacity" would be 2000 lbs, not the 1506 lbs printed on the yellow sticker. I'm not sure why the numbers are so different, or if I should feel comfortable with 2000 lbs loaded on my truck. Just don't want to have buyers remorse. Thanks for all the input.
I wish the yellow sticker was a larger number, more like the number the OP found on the truck he is purchasing.
HiHo,
First, I am suspicious of the 4784 lbs. shipping weight you have. That seems too low for me. I would recommend you get it to a scale to confirm the number. I recognize that Ford has reduced the weight with aluminum body parts in '15 by design. It appears they have also had a corresponding reduction in GVWR too. It used to be 7200 pounds GVWR.

Second, I applaud you gaining full understanding on what you are spending the big bucks on. Once you drive it off the lot it is yours and the depreciation hit is instantaneous if you decide it is not what you wanted or worse, what you needed.

Unfortunately you have to advocate for yourself and you cannot always rely on the dealer or their salesperson to give you accurate information. Their job is to sell it to you and get you off the lot with it. They will make you sign a sales agreement full of language that lets them off the hook. It likely includes your agreement to arbitration in case of dispute and yes, they get to choose the arbitrator.

Air #64439
Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
FWIW. My 2015 scab 145" wb 5L 4x4 with 36 gal tank yellow sticker says max of 2046
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
"First, I am suspicious of the 4784 lbs. shipping weight you have. That seems too low for me. I would recommend you get it to a scale to confirm the number. I recognize that Ford has reduced the weight with aluminum body parts in '15 by design. It appears they have also had a corresponding reduction in GVWR too. It used to be 7200 pounds GVWR."

Alphonse,
Thanks for your advice. I too am suspicious of the shipping weight and whatever the dealer says, but the scales don't lie.
I have the truck in my garage and I'm heading to the CAT scales tomorrow morning, as you suggested. (I have not even given them a deposit yet) I hope the shipping weight is accurate, because it is a beauty.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
"First, I am suspicious of the 4784 lbs. shipping weight you have. That seems too low for me. I would recommend you get it to a scale to confirm the number. I recognize that Ford has reduced the weight with aluminum body parts in '15 by design. It appears they have also had a corresponding reduction in GVWR too. It used to be 7200 pounds GVWR."

Alphonse,
Thanks for your advice. I too am suspicious of the shipping weight and whatever the dealer says, but the scales don't lie.
I have the truck in my garage and I'm heading to the CAT scales tomorrow morning, as you suggested. (I have not even given them a deposit yet) I hope the shipping weight is accurate, because it is a beauty.

i highly douth a king ranch will be much above 1500lbs. That is a trime for the F150. XLT is the work horses but with very little options.

this dealer in canada is great as they understand people care about this kind of details. they include a pictures of the yellow door jab sticker of all the inventory trucks. You can easily check a configuration to know a real world payload.

HANNA MOTORS | Vehicles for sale in Collingwood, ON L9Y 1W5
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
A dealer that understands the numbers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyo View Post
i highly douth a king ranch will be much above 1500lbs. That is a trime for the F150. XLT is the work horses but with very little options.

this dealer in canada is great as they understand people care about this kind of details. they include a pictures of the yellow door jab sticker of all the inventory trucks. You can easily check a configuration to know a real world payload.

HANNA MOTORS | Vehicles for sale in Collingwood, ON L9Y 1W5
It is quite interesting to see a dealer that actually posts photos of the Tire and Loading Information Placard. They must be one of the few dealers that understand the numbers and what they mean!

Air #64439
Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I went through the same drill during the 9 months that I was truck shopping. Wife just couldn't deal with the larger mass/size of a 3/4 ton. If you beat on 'em enough, you can get them to text you a photo of the door sticker. At the time, Ford was not building the max payload package in the new aluminum truck. The most payload I found in the old version in a Lariat crew cab was 1720. That was with max payload/max trailer tow packages. If memory serves, the on-line configuration for the max payload aluminum F150 would not allow either the larger fuel tank or a sunroof to be ordered with that package and specified the long bed. I finally got a '15 GMC 1500 with the max trailer tow package that specs out at 1960 lbs. on the yellow sticker in a loaded crew cab ("SLT") with no sun roof. This has taken our FC27 across country quite satisfactorily, getting from 11-14 mpg at 60 mph, depending on terrain. The 420 hp 460 lb.-ft. 6.2 liter engine and 8-speed tranny has taken us up and down some 9 1/2 % grades.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Alphonse,
Well, I just returned this truck to the dealer, after going to the CAT scales. (Hard to do, such a nice truck). The base curb weight of the truck is 5480 lbs, as built with a full 36 gallons of fuel and no people or cargo in the truck.(The weight I got at the CAT scales) The MSO (Manufactors Statement of Origin) says the shipping weight is 4784, but the scales don't lie. The GVWR is 7000 lbs. as stated on the placard, leaving 1520 lbs. of payload. That is not enough for me, my wife and dog, 27' Airstream tongue weight etc. When I ordered the truck they misquoted the payload at 2060. I talked to the owner of the dealership today when I returned the truck for over an hour. He basically apologized and said they were stupid, instead of the conversation I had been getting from the sales manager that I was incorrect and the payload was 2060 lbs. (Wrong)!
So lesson learned the majority of Ford dealers do not know about payload and towing requirements, but want to act like they do.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #37
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
So lesson learned the majority of Ford dealers do not know about payload and towing requirements, but want to act like they do.
Good thing you did your checks up front, and better to sort it out now.

I would point out that this is not necessarily a Ford dealer issue; many dealers do not understand payload ratings, regardless of the brand.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Hiho - sorry the situation turned out like it did, but hopefully this thread was helpful and saved you some cash down the road. I had to show two sales guys where the yellow sticker on the truck was when they kept insisting the payload capacity was 2,060 (even though Ford website has a max of 2,020 for the configuration I was looking at). They were really clueless and just wanted to talk about LED lights in the bed....

I suspect the 4,700 lbs shipping weight is directly off of the Ford website for a stripped down truck and has no relation to the truck you almost bought.

I didn't end up buying the F150 I went to see. Just couldn't get there on the trade value. Plus, I just didn't have a good feeling about the 5.5ft bed when inspecting up close. We usually have a few bikes, kids' toys, firewood, etc in the back. I have been driving the F250 to work all week and think I can do it on a daily basis, just need to find somewhere else the park. The F150 drove like a car in comparison- really smooth.

Thanks everyone for your input!
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #39

st. louis , Missouri
I have that truck in King Ranch including the 36 gal. gas tank. My payload sticker on door post says 1451 lbs. Note- this specifically excludes weight of full gas tank and average driver weight per manual in glove box from Ford.
mekennedy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekennedy55 View Post
I have that truck in King Ranch including the 36 gal. gas tank. My payload sticker on door post says 1451 lbs. Note- this specifically excludes weight of full gas tank and average driver weight per manual in glove box from Ford.
Could you scan that and post it here for us all to see ? I suspect that statement has to do with towing capacity and not cargo capacity. So I am quite keen to read it. Thanks in advance.

Air #64439