Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Glad you avoided buyer's remorse on a big purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Well, I just returned this truck to the dealer, after going to the CAT scales. (Hard to do, such a nice truck). The base curb weight of the truck is 5480 lbs, as built with a full 36 gallons of fuel and no people or cargo in the truck.(The weight I got at the CAT scales) The MSO (Manufactors Statement of Origin) says the shipping weight is 4784, but the scales don't lie. The GVWR is 7000 lbs. as stated on the placard, leaving 1520 lbs. of payload. That is not enough for me, my wife and dog, 27' Airstream tongue weight etc. When I ordered the truck they misquoted the payload at 2060. I talked to the owner of the dealership today when I returned the truck for over an hour. He basically apologized and said they were stupid, instead of the conversation I had been getting from the sales manager that I was incorrect and the payload was 2060 lbs. (Wrong)!
So lesson learned the majority of Ford dealers do not know about payload and towing requirements, but want to act like they do.
So 1520 lbs cargo capacity confirmed at the scales compared to 1506 lbs on the Tire and Loading Information Placard. As expected, the Tire and Loading Placard is slightly conservative.

Sorry that the truck proved not to be what you wanted. What a pain to order one and have it show up not in accordance with your expectations and specs. On the positive side, fantastic that you were your own advocate and made sure you knew more than the sales personnel.

All the best in pursuing the truck you want and need.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Hiho - sorry the situation turned out like it did, but hopefully this thread was helpful and saved you some cash down the road. I had to show two sales guys where the yellow sticker on the truck was when they kept insisting the payload capacity was 2,060 (even though Ford website has a max of 2,020 for the configuration I was looking at). They were really clueless and just wanted to talk about LED lights in the bed....

I suspect the 4,700 lbs shipping weight is directly off of the Ford website for a stripped down truck and has no relation to the truck you almost bought.

I didn't end up buying the F150 I went to see. Just couldn't get there on the trade value. Plus, I just didn't have a good feeling about the 5.5ft bed when inspecting up close. We usually have a few bikes, kids' toys, firewood, etc in the back. I have been driving the F250 to work all week and think I can do it on a daily basis, just need to find somewhere else the park. The F150 drove like a car in comparison- really smooth.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Yes this thread has been very helpful for me, and over the years this forum has been a fabulous tool for me to learn. Thanks to all the good folks who are willing to help out

Sandy
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Well, I just returned this truck to the dealer, after going to the CAT scales. (Hard to do, such a nice truck). The base curb weight of the truck is 5480 lbs, as built with a full 36 gallons of fuel and no people or cargo in the truck.(The weight I got at the CAT scales) The MSO (Manufactors Statement of Origin) says the shipping weight is 4784, but the scales don't lie. The GVWR is 7000 lbs. as stated on the placard, leaving 1520 lbs. of payload. That is not enough for me, my wife and dog, 27' Airstream tongue weight etc. When I ordered the truck they misquoted the payload at 2060. I talked to the owner of the dealership today when I returned the truck for over an hour. He basically apologized and said they were stupid, instead of the conversation I had been getting from the sales manager that I was incorrect and the payload was 2060 lbs. (Wrong)!
So lesson learned the majority of Ford dealers do not know about payload and towing requirements, but want to act like they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Cargo Capacity is the number on the Tire and Loading Information Placard (the yellow sticker) on the door jamb for this very reason that is coming out in this thread. The dealers typically do not know or they like stretching the truth. The yellow sticker shows the actual, bonafide cargo capacity for that specific vehicle. This number is derived from the vehicle's build and options that are installed.
This is the exact issue we have been dealing with in our decision to buy a new F150 to tow a 25'FC. I've spent most of the last 6 months digging in websites and crunching numbers waiting for the 2016s to come out so I could buy my DH his trailer backing assist feature. FWIW, deep in the bowels of the Ford website there is a note that the payload capacity on an individual vehicle is calculated based on the weight of the vehicle, all options, one 150lb person and a full tank of fuel. This seems to be supported based on the actual scale numbers posted by Hiho Silver.

Knowing that the 2060# payload number is a pipe dream (and yes, we were also told this was the cargo capacity by the dealership "truck guru"), we decided to go ahead and order an F150 anyway because a 250 was not an option for us for a number of reasons. Hopefully, we won't have to go on a starvation diet to be able to tow safely!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #44

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Camper View Post
This is the exact issue we have been dealing with in our decision to buy a new F150 to tow a 25'FC. I've spent most of the last 6 months digging in websites and crunching numbers waiting for the 2016s to come out so I could buy my DH his trailer backing assist feature. FWIW, deep in the bowels of the Ford website there is a note that the payload capacity on an individual vehicle is calculated based on the weight of the vehicle, all options, one 150lb person and a full tank of fuel. This seems to be supported based on the actual scale numbers posted by Hiho Silver.

Knowing that the 2060# payload number is a pipe dream (and yes, we were also told this was the cargo capacity by the dealership "truck guru"), we decided to go ahead and order an F150 anyway because a 250 was not an option for us for a number of reasons. Hopefully, we won't have to go on a starvation diet to be able to tow safely!
If you don't "need" the fanciest bits, you can get an XLT with the HD Payload option and get an actual payload figure well above 2,000 lb, but you're limited to the "XLT Mid" level of equipment (pkg 301A) as the max level of poshness. That cuts out some nice features of the F150 like the LED headlights, leather, configurable 8" video screen between the speedo and tach, etc. You have to be careful, though, especially if dealing with a low-information salesman, because there are confusing names of packages like the "Payload Package" (that's just for the 2.7 Ecoboost) and the "HD Trailer Towing" package that gets the rear-view camera and I think the trailer backup assist gadgetry but not necessarily the capability of Max Tow or HD Payload (which includes Max Tow).

If you order a Lariat or higher you can't get HD Payload so you start with a heavier truck and can't access the higher-payload equipment and payload really starts to drop. If you want a short- or medium-wheelbase truck you can't get HD Payload either. TANSTAAFL.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
2015 Ford F150 4x4 – what does your payload sticker read?

I thought the HD Payload package and HD Towing package were both available with the Lariat trim package. Is this not correct?

Mind you when I went to the Ford site and built a truck online with those options this unit was considered a 2016. So I'm guessing that might make a difference.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #46

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
HD towing probably is, Max Tow certainly is. If HD payload is available on Lariat, it's only on the base Lariat trim and all the goodies are in the Mid and Luxury packages (LED lights, 8" productivity screen, etc.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Heavy Duty Payload Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
HD towing probably is, Max Tow certainly is. If HD payload is available on Lariat, it's only on the base Lariat trim and all the goodies are in the Mid and Luxury packages (LED lights, 8" productivity screen, etc.)
From the Ford "proprietary" dealer truck order sheet:

Usage: Increases GVWR to 7600 lbs. on XL and 7650 lbs. on XLT and Lariat

Availability: Option on XL, XLT Base, XLT Mid and Lariat base pkg.

Requires: Trailer tow pkg when ordered with 5.0L engine
Max trailer tow pkg when ordered with 3.5L EcoBoost

Includes: 3.73 Electronic locking rear axle
9.75" gearset
Upgraded springs and aux. trans. oil cooler
18" silver aluminum heavy duty pkg wheels

Not available with:
145" wheelbase on XL, XLT,and Lariat

So if you want to order a Lariat with HD tow pkg, it will have the longer bed (157") wheelbase, and the Base 500A pkg, so not available with the mid or luxury pkg.on the Lariat
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Good info DKB and Hiho.... Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bossier City , Louisiana
2015 Ford F150 Payload

I have a 2015 F150 4X2 Super crew with 3.5 Ecoboost engine. Yellow sticker payload is 1923#. I pull a 2007 Safari 19' Bambi with Reese stabilizer setup. 23 gal. tank 3.75 rear.
boogar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you don't "need" the fanciest bits, you can get an XLT with the HD Payload option and get an actual payload figure well above 2,000 lb, but you're limited to the "XLT Mid" level of equipment (pkg 301A) as the max level of poshness. That cuts out some nice features of the F150 like the LED headlights, leather, configurable 8" video screen between the speedo and tach, etc. You have to be careful, though, especially if dealing with a low-information salesman, because there are confusing names of packages like the "Payload Package" (that's just for the 2.7 Ecoboost) and the "HD Trailer Towing" package that gets the rear-view camera and I think the trailer backup assist gadgetry but not necessarily the capability of Max Tow or HD Payload (which includes Max Tow).

If you order a Lariat or higher you can't get HD Payload so you start with a heavier truck and can't access the higher-payload equipment and payload really starts to drop. If you want a short- or medium-wheelbase truck you can't get HD Payload either. TANSTAAFL.
DKB, I think you nailed the issues. Unfortunately, the only way to get my DH into a truck was to lay down a trail of the "fanciest bits"...therefore payload is suffering. Since this is my 4th truck purchase, I have learned to do my own homework and ignore most of what the sales people say.
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #51
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
Time for me to tow

Greetings,

I've read through this very helpful thread as I am about to buy a truck. I am looking at a 2013 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4WD to pull a 1972 29' Ambassador.

This is for occasional towing as I am a work-timer. I do need to be able to pull it up into the NC Smoky Mountains from time to time.

Will something like this do the job?

2013 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4WD
3.5L Ecoboost engine
4-Wheel Disc Brakes,ABS brakes,,Power Telescoping Trailer Tow Side Mirrors,Reverse Sensing System,Tachometer,Max Trailer Tow Pkg - Chrome Mirror,Trailer Brake Controller,20" 6-Spoke Machined-Aluminum Wheels,,3.55 Axle Ratio
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ought to do fine. With the Ecoboost and a 3.55 rear, power is plentiful. What is the payload on this truck? That will be the limiting factor. 1750# would be good, more better.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 AM   #53
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
I bought one. 2013 F-150 Lariat, 3.5 V-6 Eco-Boost, 3.73, Max Tow Package, 7200# GVWR Package, 1612# Payload rating. Fingers crossed.
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #54
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
1612# payload will work depending on how much stuff you put into the truck bed. You are pushing the envelope.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #55
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel1972 View Post
I bought one. 2013 F-150 Lariat, 3.5 V-6 Eco-Boost, 3.73, Max Tow Package, 7200# GVWR Package, 1612# Payload rating. Fingers crossed.
You will be fine. Enjoy.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:48 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
In my shopping, I found that the F-150 with the max payload and the max tow package would spec out at a 1720 lb rated payload, with the Lariat crew cab. This was for pre-aluminum models. That should work fine.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thank's guys for the info. I was going to get a fully loaded Platinum F150 but 1,500 pounds payload total isn't anywhere near enough for my needs. All the gear in the bed, diamondback ATV cover, ATV and motorcycle on the cover, trailer tongue etc...

Going to put a deposit down and wait for the new aluminum, redesigned 2017 F350 that's coming out later this year.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #58
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I also had a 2015 F150. Best vehicle I have ever owned but the payload was severely lacking. 1300#. I really wanted to wait for the 2017 F250's but I had just ordered a Classic which is even heavier then my Cloud so I bit the bullet and bought a 2016 F250. No regrets but not nearly as sophisticated as my F150 was. I am now a little over 2000# payload capacity. With the F350 you should be close to 3000#. The higher the trim level your payload decreases but with the F350 you will have plenty of payload regardless of the trim level.