Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Loaded Lariet with sunroof, 3.5 max tow etc. 1574lbs.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiedog View Post
Loaded Lariet with sunroof, 3.5 max tow etc. 1574lbs.
Fixed, or powered running boards?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I do not have a sunroof !!! I thought it was part of a package that I wanted. So, I was surprised to not have one! But, I don't like them so it worked for me in the end. You are so right about the mule part!! It pulls way better than my '10 with the 5.4 engine. It seems to be always one gear higher than the old truck would have been !!

Dan
I looked at a "basic", no option, King Ranch before buying my current one. The payload was only 120# more than I got. But it only had 23 gal tank, and no max tow. Didn't want the sunroof, but it didn't seem to make as much difference as the fuel tank.

My '09 Platinum with 5.4 wasn't nearly as strong as the Ecoboost either.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
2014 Lariet ecoboost 3.75 gear ratio, sunroof, 36gal tank, etc. etc., 1610lbs. After being completely loaded (lightly) and hitched, including myself & wife, I'm left with around 300lbs capacity. Pulls great, cargo will always be the limitation with the 150. Avoid all the options and you can gain a couple hundred pounds of cargo capacity.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I ordered a 2016 F150 King Ranch, ecoboost, max tow and pretty much completely loaded with options, and was told the payload would be 2060lbs. It arrived today but it says on the door the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1506lbs. The Ford dealer says that is not the payload number, but just the load for inside the cab. I don't think that is correct. Any experts who know the facts out there, I think this is the payload, which leaves no room for any cargo after I add on myself, wife, dog, and tongue weight, so not sure if I will make the purchase, even though it is a beauty. They still say the payload is over 2000 lbs, what do you think, here is a picture? If this is the payload, then I think I ordered the wrong truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	252755  
Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
The sticker clearly says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 683 kg or 1506 lbs.". I believe 1506# is your payload. The 2000# payload is for a bare bones truck with no options. Every option added (moonroof, step bar, power/heated seats, etc) reduces the payload.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I ordered a 2016 F150 King Ranch, ecoboost, max tow and pretty much completely loaded with options, and was told the payload would be 2060lbs. It arrived today but it says on the door the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1506lbs. The Ford dealer says that is not the payload number, but just the load for inside the cab. I don't think that is correct. Any experts who know the facts out there, I think this is the payload, which leaves no room for any cargo after I add on myself, wife, dog, and tongue weight, so not sure if I will make the purchase, even though it is a beauty. They still say the payload is over 2000 lbs, what do you think, here is a picture? If this is the payload, then I think I ordered the wrong truck.
Ask them for a letter on corporate stationery stating the actual payload for your truck (including the VIN) and watch them squirm. They either don't understand their product or are scrambling to save the sale. The number on the door frame placard is Ford's official payload recommendation for that specific truck.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ask them for a letter on corporate stationery stating the actual payload for your truck (including the VIN) and watch them squirm. They either don't understand their product or are scrambling to save the sale. The number on the door frame placard is Ford's official payload recommendation for that specific truck.
Great idea. Funny thing is, the sales manager already offered that in writing, as you suggested. Now what, do we become test pilots?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Your dealer is lying, plain and simple.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, mine is a 2014 F-150 XLT Crew cab, Ecoboost, 145" wheel base, 3:73 gears, 4X4, Off road package, 36 gallon gas tank, and Max Tow package. My payload is 1745 lbs. The book says 1900 lbs, but I believe that the extra weight of the skid plates and/or the tailgate step reduced it by 155 lbs.

The yellow sticker is the real payload amount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05125.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	252759  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Decided to look at the truck. Payload is 1,810 which will leave me with 250-300 of capacity. Half tons have certainly come along way.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #26

2017 28' International
Palmyra , Pennsylvania
2nd Chance

I have a F150 super crew 3.5L ecoboost with 145 wheelbase, it is equipped with the towing package in model King Ranch. The payload sticker reads 1604 pounds.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Yellow sticker is the cargo capacity.

Payload and Cargo are defined terms in the regulations as I understand it. You will find that the manufacturers refer to Payload Capacity in their brochures, etc. This number is the best you can expect since it represents a stripped down truck. In other words, no options, accessories, larger fuel tank, etc.

Cargo Capacity is the number on the Tire and Loading Information Placard (the yellow sticker) on the door jamb for this very reason that is coming out in this thread. The dealers typically do not know or they like stretching the truth. The yellow sticker shows the actual, bonafide cargo capacity for that specific vehicle. This number is derived from the vehicle's build and options that are installed.

This specified cargo capacity on the yellow sticker is the limit for the total weight of passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of the trailer. It is typically a calculated number from the build sheet and may well be a few pounds conservative but not by much. The only way to find out how conservative is to go to the Cat scale and weigh the truck full of fuel but empty of passengers or cargo. Subtract this actual scale weight from the GVWR for the vehicle and you will get the cargo capacity. It will likely be within 75 pounds or so of the number on the yellow sticker. By the way, the GVWR is specified on a white sticker somewhere on the door jamb as well.

Bottom line this is an issue that catches many folks who thought they were buying more capacity in their truck than they actually leave the lot with.

So if a dealer is willing to write you a letter and tell you about "Payload Capacity", shift gears on them and make them delineate the "Cargo Capacity". Payload Capacity is quite irrelevant once the truck is built. It is the Cargo Capacity that you end up with that is important.

At the end of the day regardless of what a poorly informed or dishonest dealer/salesperson says, the facts are that the Cargo Capacity is printed on the Tire and Loading Information Placard because it is required by regulation. This thread exemplifies why it is needed. Unfortunately many folks do not learn about or understand it until after they have acquired a truck that is less capable than they wanted and thought they were buying.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:37 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Gvwr

[QUOTE=Alphonse;1714822]Payload and Cargo are defined terms in the regulations as I understand it. You will find that the manufacturers refer to Payload Capacity in their brochures, etc. This number is the best you can expect since it represents a stripped down truck. In other words, no options, accessories, larger fuel tank, etc. Cargo Capacity is the number on the Tire and Loading Information Placard (the yellow sticker) on the door jamb for this very reason that is coming out in this thread. The dealers typically do not know or they like stretching the truth. The yellow sticker shows the actual, bonafide cargo capacity for that specific vehicle. This number is derived from the vehicle's build and options that are installed.
Ths specified cargo capacity on the yellow sticker is the limit for the total weight of passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of the trailer. It is typically a calculated number from the build sheet and may well be a few pounds conservative but not by much. The only way to find out how conservative is to go to the Cat scale and weigh the truck full of fuel but empty of passengers or cargo. Subtract this actual scale weight from the GVWR for the vehicle and you will get the cargo capacity. It will likely be within 75 pounds or so of the number on the yellow sticker. By the way, the GVWR is specified on a white sticker somewhere on the door jamb as well."

The GVWR on this truck is 7000 lbs. as shown in the picture of the white sticker on the door jamb. The invoice says the shipping weight of the truck is 4784 lbs without much fuel. This truck has a 36 gallon fuel tank so another 216 lbs for fuel should add up to 5000 lbs., although I guess going to the CAT scales is the only way to know for sure. If these numbers are correct then it seems like the "cargo or as many call it, payload capacity" would be 2000 lbs, not the 1506 lbs printed on the yellow sticker. I'm not sure why the numbers are so different, or if I should feel comfortable with 2000 lbs loaded on my truck. Just don't want to have buyers remorse. Thanks for all the input.
I wish the yellow sticker was a larger number, more like the number the OP found on the truck he is purchasing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	252785