Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Now that's a 2.5 billion dollar joke

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2015 Ford F-150 Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
I've talked with dozens of people personally and read hundreds of other accounts. Many were former Ford enthusiast, hopefully not tattooed with blue ovals, who traded in their Fords and bought new Rams, Chevys, and several went with the impressive Denali HD.

There is nothing inherently special about the quality of newer Ford trucks. That is me being a more polite version of myself and using my indoor voice. I originally wanted one, but after comparing what Ram and Chevy offered, my blue oval dreams faded. I still love certain aspects of the F-350, but not all of course.

Let's not let the Kool Aid influence our judgement. Jones Town ended poorly. I have been searching for a tow vehicle for two months non stop, visited dealers all over NC, test drove a dozen or so, and have absolutely no bias for or against any manufacturer. They all have pros and cons in my opinion. Some more easily overlooked than others.

The unreliable reputation of the previous Ford Diesel engines was hard for me to get past. But I tried to be open minded and test drove many F-250's and F-350's. I loved the power of the 6.7, still do, but couldn't believe how sluggish the 6.2 gasser was. In the end, I decided to look at offerings from other manufacturers.

Regarding powerplants, the Hemi 6.4 was drastically more impressive to me than the Ford 6.2. The Cummins diesel in Ram is rated for a 350k engine life, B50 or similar industry standards, compared to 225k for the Ford 6.7 diesel. Randomly talking with owners of Duramax/Allison Chevy/GMC owners revealed much greater reliability and overall confidence than that of the Ford 6.7 diesel owners.

This is broad sword stuff, clearly there are varying opinions and mine is only one of millions. I'm no truck expert, not implying otherwise. Just reporting my findings, which were ultimately unfavorable towards buying a Ford.

One of the principle concerns was all the high pressure fuel pump failures with the new 6.7 diesels. You won't believe me naturally, just Google Ford failed HPFP. Put on a pot of coffee first. I wasn't seeking dirt on Ford when I found out about this stuff. I was wanting to buy one and doing my due diligence.

The larger issue, in numerous accounts, Ford refused to repair vehicles with HPFP failures although they were still under warranty. They weasled out of warranty claims using some unsavory and creative ideas in the reports I found. Like I said, research it yourself, will take about 5-10 minutes to confirm.

The overall quality of Ram Laramie and up trim, and Chevy 2500 LT up, is in another league in my humble opinion. That doesn't make the Ford a bad truck. I try not to use blanket statements like fanboys and Kool Aid drinkers. They help no one and make us seem like silly cheerleaders.

All the manufacturers are making higher quality trucks now than ever, I truly believe that. But when spending $45-60k on a truck, I think it's worth being honest with ourselves and others. I'm sure I would be happy in a new F-350 with 6.7. But I'm of the opinion I will be much happier in another truck. Nothing personal about that.

Dan

Dan,
Dodge,GM and Ford all use Bosch HPFP pumps. Ford puts the Def fill right next to the fuel fill for easier access and it is easy to make this mistake if you are not paying attention.Adding Def (or gas) to your fuel tank voids your warranty and instantly ruins a $10k pump. Def is urine and very corrosive.Ford will not warranty if they test and find this to be true.
I still say a mini van is in your future.Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Dan,
Dodge,GM and Ford all use Bosch HPFP pumps. Ford puts the Def fill right next to the fuel fill for easier access and it is easy to make this mistake if you are not paying attention.Adding Def (or gas) to your fuel tank voids your warranty and instantly ruins a $10k pump. Def is urine and very corrosive.Ford will not warranty if they test and find this to be true.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Dan,

That's the good thing about being comfortable with ones manhood. I could drive a pastel pink hybrid mini-van and feel no less manly. Get Andy to set up a purple WD hitch, buy me some Daryl Hall and John Oates DVD's and drive my manly ass back to NC. Can't say the same for someone that has to buy a brand new BIG truck every 2-3 years.

Lol

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Pappy, what are you trying to pedal with this thread? Some brand insecurity goin' on? ;-)

I'll go along with this... Ford trucks are ok, but from my experience, they're nothing special. I've had an F-150 and an F-250. They were ok. Nothing special, though. And the new ones, as Dan mentioned, were uninviting to me, as well. Basically... BORING. And not so great to look at.

The new Ford diesel may have a little more power than the competition, but having a few more or less ponies under the hood is far from what I buy a truck for. Once you have the power of today's turbo diesels, the "power" race is over in my view. What else can you do for me?

Big deal... a few more ponies? Is that all anyone looks for in a truck to pull an Airstream? Sheesh. After all, Ford's last diesel engine was a joke... they had to try something new. Hopefully this new engine will work more reliably than the last version did. It will take some years and a lot of buyers to find out. I'm not buying into it, though.

After my last two Ford trucks, when it came time to buy my current truck, Ford lost out big time. I mean, they're OK. I'm sure they're not BAD trucks. They just sort of suck compared to the GMs and Dodge.

Honestly, any of the big three current trucks will get the job done well, I'm sure, but I don't buy what you think "the crowd is going for."

Usually what's MOST popular is pablum. The masses like pablum... it's a soft and easy choice. They don't have to think too much about it. Go with the flow, be a like a sheep, and east pablum! ;-)

Personally, I don't care who sells the most trucks because I don't tend to follow the crowd, unless I'm convinced that the crowd is right. But often, the crowd gets it wrong, because most of the crowd are sheep.

I'm going to be the wolf and buy the truck that I think is the best... and for me, that's GM... Sierras and Silverados. I'd probably buy a Dodge next, then Ford. Foreign brands? Forget it... I don't care where they're made. Ultimately, I'm sure I could be plenty happy with a Dodge or a Ford, as well. They just wouldn't be my first choice.

So... whatever you are trying to pedal by starting this thread... my view is that I don't buy vehicles based on whatever the masses are doing; I buy vehicles based on what I think is the best! This time around, my vote was easy.... GM all the way, baby. Tried and true Duramax/Allison. GMs got a great thing going, they are building awesome trucks and selling like hotcakes! The Fords? Meh. They're ok. They're ok. That's about all I can say for 'em. Any of the Big Three are pretty good trucks. But Ford being "the winner" ... not in my book, by any means. They don't even look good.

I guess I need to tattoo GM on my forehead! I'm the GM posterboy, now, I guess! I love these trucks and I don't even care if they're the biggest sellers or not (though I guess they are the biggest sellers).

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
Quality es job uno, seņor.
Good one, RareSteam!!!

And it's off to Mexico Ford goes!

Let's hope that in 2016, some of these job losses can be reversed.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dan said "Let's not let the Kool Aid influence our judgement. Jones Town ended poorly."

Oh man... you just crack me up. And every day, I see we're more and more on the same page.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post

Pappy, what are you trying to pedal with this thread?

Some brand insecurity goin' on? ;-)

I've identified at least two different types of insecurities here

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

DHart,

You post one more €\%]^]# picture of that truck, I'm going to buy one. When I hear folks defend a brand of any kind, I think about mothers of convicted felons. "He was such a sweet boy, you just don't understand him, I love him so much..."

I see a F-150 and throw up in my mouth a little.

I see your Denali HD and makes me pee my pants a little.

No further need for 1000 word truck analysis.

I love the sheep/wolf analogy. Ironically, only a herded animal would be branded. That's what we call low hanging fruit around here.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Dan.... I guess I just have a weakness for beauty. But it hasn't hurt me in life, so far, it's been mighty sweet! Fortunately, most of the beauties that I fall for have beauty that is more than skin deep.

You are almost as much of a night owl as I am, aren't you?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Would sleep better if you would quit posting pics of that Denali and Serenity

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Would sleep better if you would quit posting pics of that Denali and Serenity
Oh man, I love your sense of humor! We will have to cross paths somewhere down the road and share some drinks by the campfire!

My enthusiasm for the new truck and trailer will, no doubt, simmer down to a low boil and I'll be on to doing more photography of my guitars, or my guns, or my pup, or.... ?

I do tend to be enthusiastic about wonderful things in life.

Hey... I may get to sleep before you do tonight!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Skip the guitar pics for me personally. If I see a hacky sack, fanny pack, guitar sing along, kumbaya scenario, no way in hell am I driving 1800 miles.

Unless you can play the Dukes of Hazzard theme song, that would change everything. But the truck, camper, guns, photography, dogs, life, campfire summit sounds like a winner.

We will be sure to make it happen. Maybe we will start the smallest Airstream club ever, only open to Denali/Serenity owners. We could all meet up at Applebee's. Need to find a safe place to camp though, as we will only be able to semi-circle the wagons.

All BS aside, we will plan a trip when the time comes. Already disussed it with Carrie. Not spending $150k so I can sit at home. We can stop in Texas and see Slowmover on way. Two birds, however old birds, with one stone.

You guys buy the steak and beer. I will bring the defibrillator.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Skip the guitar pics for me personally. If I see a hacky sack, fanny pack, guitar sing along, kumbaya scenario, no way in hell am I driving 1800 miles.

Unless you can play the Dukes of Hazzard theme song, that would change everything. But the truck, camper, guns, photography, dogs, life, campfire summit sounds like a winner.

We will be sure to make it happen. Maybe we will start the smallest Airstream club ever, only open to Denali/Serenity owners. We could all meet up at Applebee's. Hah.

All BS aside, we will plan a trip when the time comes. Already disussed it with Carrie. Not spending $150k so I can sit at home. We can stop in Texas and see Slowmover on way. Two birds, however old birds, with one stone.

Dan

Martin OM28-Vintage.

There... just had to do it. No hacky sack, no fanny pack. No hokey-corny. And don't worry, I'm definitely not the kumbaya-let's-all-sit-around-the-campfire-and-sing-stupid-songs kind of guitarist. I compose and record in my home studio and leave it at that!

Old 08-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

That little Yamaha THR is slick. Love the orb lamp as well. I've got a nice Deering banjo I've never played. By the time I get in the mood to try, I'm too drunk to carry through. Double edged sword, bourbon required to remind me of it, but also takes away any chance in hell I have of playing it. Turns out, I'm a good listener. That's my talent regarding music.

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
That little Yamaha THR is slick. Love the orb lamp as well. I've got a nice Deering banjo I've never played. By the time I get in the mood to try, I'm too drunk to carry through. Double edged sword, bourbon required to remind me of it, but also takes away any chance in hell I have of playing it. Turns out, I'm a good listener. That's my talent regarding music.

Dan
Getting to the point of playing an instrument (any instrument) well is a very self-absorbed, solitary prospect... and quite time consuming. As a young man with a young family, and an Airstream on the way, becoming a skilled banjo player is probably not in the cards for you... just yet, anyway! Focus on that family for now. Perhaps down the road you may have more opportunity to develop your musical skills.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Looking back the following morning at ones previous nights activities can be illuminating. If I had a dime.. All light hearted joking aside, which was my only intention Pappy, I didn't want to offend you. This can easily be done when facial expressions and body language are not present.

Typed dialogue can be very difficult, especially when feeble attempts at humor are interjected from people like myself that so easily entertain themselves. I'm certain if all posters here were sitting around a campfire, we would have this tongue in cheek conversation with laughter.

I know I would be laughing at you at any rate. Truth is, I have been spending too much time online lately to distract myself from an unusually stressful time. I want to apologize for derailing this Ford advertisement and will try to represent myself better moving forward. Yo soy lo siento Pappy de Seņor de man Ford.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...in-120567.html

Dan

- Nancy Newhall
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Quote:
Looked at all the trucks made it seems in last two months. And I agree with you on Ford, they have by far the cheapest feel of any interior I saw. The Tundra 1794 was the nicest. Ram 2500 Laramie interior looked and felt like a luxury car compared to the new Ford trucks interior.

Makes no sense at all. But it carries over to other Ford models as well, the new Expeditions were no better. Hard plastic everywhere. When I get into a higher trim Ram (Laramie and up) or the Chevy Silverado 2500, heaven forbid GMC Denali HD, I'm stepping into a very luxurious truck. Quality in every direction. That feeling is noticeably absent when getting in a new Ford.

Dan
Who cares? Aren't function and reliability more important that looks feel?

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Pappy, what are you trying to pedal with this thread? Some brand insecurity goin' on? ;-)

I'll go along with this... Ford trucks are ok, but from my experience, they're nothing special. I've had an F-150 and an F-250. They were ok. Nothing special, though. And the new ones, as Dan mentioned, were uninviting to me, as well. Basically... BORING. And not so great to look at.

The new Ford diesel may have a little more power than the competition, but having a few more or less ponies under the hood is far from what I buy a truck for. Once you have the power of today's turbo diesels, the "power" race is over in my view. What else can you do for me?

Big deal... a few more ponies? Is that all anyone looks for in a truck to pull an Airstream? Sheesh. After all, Ford's last diesel engine was a joke... they had to try something new. Hopefully this new engine will work more reliably than the last version did. It will take some years and a lot of buyers to find out. I'm not buying into it, though.

After my last two Ford trucks, when it came time to buy my current truck, Ford lost out big time. I mean, they're OK. I'm sure they're not BAD trucks. They just sort of suck compared to the GMs and Dodge.

Honestly, any of the big three current trucks will get the job done well, I'm sure, but I don't buy what you think "the crowd is going for."

Usually what's MOST popular is pablum. The masses like pablum... it's a soft and easy choice. They don't have to think too much about it. Go with the flow, be a like a sheep, and east pablum! ;-)

Personally, I don't care who sells the most trucks because I don't tend to follow the crowd, unless I'm convinced that the crowd is right. But often, the crowd gets it wrong, because most of the crowd are sheep.

I'm going to be the wolf and buy the truck that I think is the best... and for me, that's GM... Sierras and Silverados. I'd probably buy a Dodge next, then Ford. Foreign brands? Forget it... I don't care where they're made. Ultimately, I'm sure I could be plenty happy with a Dodge or a Ford, as well. They just wouldn't be my first choice.

So... whatever you are trying to pedal by starting this thread... my view is that I don't buy vehicles based on whatever the masses are doing; I buy vehicles based on what I think is the best! This time around, my vote was easy.... GM all the way, baby. Tried and true Duramax/Allison. GMs got a great thing going, they are building awesome trucks and selling like hotcakes! The Fords? Meh. They're ok. They're ok. That's about all I can say for 'em. Any of the Big Three are pretty good trucks. But Ford being "the winner" ... not in my book, by any means. They don't even look good.

I guess I need to tattoo GM on my forehead! I'm the GM posterboy, now, I guess! I love these trucks and I don't even care if they're the biggest sellers or not (though I guess they are the biggest sellers).

I notice that all of the lights on the front of your truck are lit. During the day more than 20% of the Chevs and GMCs have one 'daylight' out. And, it's not just burned out bulbs. Probably no one will die because of that ele fault, but it surely is bad PR, especially because Grandpa Motors doesn't see fit to fix the problem.

Jer
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxen View Post
I notice that all of the lights on the front of your truck are lit. During the day more than 20% of the Chevs and GMCs have one 'daylight' out. And, it's not just burned out bulbs. Probably no one will die because of that ele fault, but it surely is bad PR, especially because Grandpa Motors doesn't see fit to fix the problem.

Jer
Jer... I haven't noticed any GM vehicles with a daylight running light out, much less a "20%" failure rate. And, if you do notice that one is out... how would you know that it is not a burned out bulb? I don't know. This is not something that has ever been a factor in my experience (2004 GMC Yukon LX Denali, 2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, 2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD.)

On the new Chevy's and GMC's, the daylight running lights are LED and not likely to burn out for the life of the vehicle.

When towing, I run with all of our lights on, as you see in the photo. I prefer to be as visible as possible, in the event that this may help avert an accident.