Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
You must be kidding! Cost on a new Ford 6.7 diesel to change the oil, filter and urea is over $250 at most dealerships. Fuel filters are $45-60. Gas engines; oil change $19.95 and fuel filter is $10. Not to mention no worries about contaminated fuel ruining injectors or pumps(can you say $4,000 to replace?). No doubt that a new diesel can out perform a gas, no argument there. As I have said over and over, when you buy a diesel truck to tow an Airstream, it's all because of WANT, not because of NEED. And that's ok with me, but a gas rig is much more appropriate and much easier to maintain, IMHO.
I do not now where you are getting all the misinformation you are listing here but I actually own one (2012) and just bought a second one(2015).Oil change with tax $89.00.Fuel contamination?Were are you coming up with all this?

This is all BS I have owned many gas trucks and there is very little difference in maintainence.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Diesel oil change @ Albany NY area Ford dealer was $115 last week. DEF fluid costs about $45 to fill DEF tank for about 5,000 miles.
Def fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal at Oreilly Auto Parts nation wide.That would be about 1/2 of what you are paying
Old 09-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Def fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal at Oreilly Auto Parts nation wide.That would be about 1/2 of what you are paying
We were on the road and I had to buy the DEF in Canada where everything is expensive!!! I waited until we got to Albany for the oil change for that very same reason. Glad to see that DEF is so "cheap" in the US.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
My 4.2l 1/2ton V6 is all I need to pull the Airstream

My 6.2L 3/4ton V8 is more than I need to pull the Airstream

One's a little slower up the hill, but it does not matter - cuz I'm pullin' an Airstream
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #25
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Def

Quote:
Bulk DEF is available at most Flying J/PILOT and other big truck stops.
I refilled my DEF tank for $2.79/gallon at a CEFCO truck stop.

If I were to get an F250, I'd get the diesel. Not because it is financially a smart decision, but because "REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS".
Well, that's what my friend's diesel truck back window sticker reads anyway.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Oil change on my Cummins Is fifty nine dollars at the dealer. They send me a coupon to use because I bought from them. Rotella oil and filter change. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Bulk DEF is available at most Flying J/PILOT and other big truck stops.
I refilled my DEF tank for $2.79/gallon at a CEFCO truck stop.

If I were to get an F250, I'd get the diesel. Not because it is financially a smart decision, but because "REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS".
Well, that's what my friend's diesel truck back window sticker reads anyway.
Wow, I knew stuff was overpriced in Canada, but to see that what I paid over $10 a gallon for over there (at Canadian Tire no less) is available here for $2.79 is simply amazing!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sorry for my off topic post. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
That is completely false.

I had a complete oil change, tire rotation, Air filter change , DEF fill-up for $120.00 at my Ford dealer. I also get every fourth oil change free.

I have a 2013 Platinum F-250 6.7l diesel and I love it. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Quiet, nice ride, beautiful truck, low emissions, plenty of power, great mileage.

I think too many people are living in the past. This new breed of modern diesels are amazing.
I guess if I paid close to $70,000 for a Platinum 6.7 , I'd get some oil change deals too. I priced a decent setup 6.2 in either XLT or Lariat 4X4 at right around $45,000. I can buy a lot of gas for the difference.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
I guess if I paid close to $70,000 for a Platinum 6.7 , I'd get some oil change deals too. I priced a decent setup 6.2 in either XLT or Lariat 4X4 at right around $45,000. I can buy a lot of gas for the difference.

Once again no clue......

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
No deals for me. I paid the normal price of a standard oil change, filter change, air filter change, tire rotation, and DEF fill-up after 7500 miles for $120.00. Much, much less than you quoted. I get every 4th oil change free because Ford offers this to all owners of a new Ford when they sign up online to be a Ford Owners member. It costs nothing and you get updates, notices, etc. from Ford through the internet.

Also I paid no where near $70,000 for a 2013 Platinum 6.7. Don't know where you got that figure but it is off by almost $20,000.

I am not saying that buying a diesel is the best decision for everyone and to be honest I didn't buy based on economy. My main consideration was performance in Colorado mountains, better braking, and better mileage. I put around 40,000 miles a year on my vehicle.

I also don't buy the cheapest truck. I spend a lot of time in my vehicle and I like the better seating, advanced electronics, convenience features, looks, and insulation for a quieter ride in the King Ranch or Platinum models.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
south haven , Michigan
The heart want's what the heart want's. I went to the Ford Dealer with a gasser in my sights for all those practicable reasons that have been mentioned but the first time I pushed the throttle on the diesel it was over. I talked to the diesel tech at my ford dealer and said he has replaced 1 turbo & 1 radiator so far on the 6.7. He likes them. Even when I sold my 04 f-350 6.0 it was easy to sell & brought a premium. Do I worry how it will hold up in say 5 or 10 years with that complicated exhaust system, of course. Maybe I'll consider an extended warranty on the powertrain.
keith49090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Jury is out.

We have a 2014 F-250 with 13,000 miles on it. So far I really like 6.7 diesel engine but having problems with the brakes. We had a 2011 ecoboost before we trading it in on the F-250. One of the reasons we traded it was because the brakes did not seem to work that well with the trailer. Ford guy told us the F-250 would be better. Well guess what? So far it is not. The dealer replaced the front calipers and rotors when we had 6,000 miles on it. We just got back from another trip and it sounds like the back brakes need replacing now. Not sure what is going on. We are not hard on the brakes. Granted we live in a coastal environment but we had a Dodge diesel before the ecoboost and it sit out for approximately seven years and never had a bit of trouble. We have now owned three ford trucks and all of them have had brake problems. It keeps going like this and will change back to Dodge or Chevy.
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
We have a 2014 F-250 with 13,000 miles on it. So far I really like 6.7 diesel engine but having problems with the brakes. We had a 2011 ecoboost before we trading it in on the F-250. One of the reasons we traded it was because the brakes did not seem to work that well with the trailer. Ford guy told us the F-250 would be better. Well guess what? So far it is not. The dealer replaced the front calipers and rotors when we had 6,000 miles on it. We just got back from another trip and it sounds like the back brakes need replacing now. Not sure what is going on. We are not hard on the brakes. Granted we live in a coastal environment but we had a Dodge diesel before the ecoboost and it sit out for approximately seven years and never had a bit of trouble. We have now owned three ford trucks and all of them have had brake problems. It keeps going like this and will change back to Dodge or Chevy.
Harpo, I assume you are talking about replacing brake pads and not rotors (which used to be a weakness in Fords years ago.) I find it odd that you are having trouble with the brakes pads (assuming that is indeed the case.) Do you have your trailer brake controller properly calibrated? If not, and you tow a lot, then your truck brakes would be working harder than needed to stop the trailer and might thus need more frequent replacement. FWIW, I have the brake controller set at 6 on my 2015 F-250. Don't just go by my setting, each truck can be slightly different. If you don't feel confident in setting this yourself, you might visit a RV dealer that you trust. Once the brake controller has been eliminated as a source of the issue, you might try using some non-OEM brake pads next time. I'm sure you can find some suitable replacements by doing some research (online or with some other owners.)

Good luck with this issue! There is no reason that you should be disappointed in the brake performance in your 250!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
I paid $27K for our 2011 6.2L XLT 2WD new. Close to the cost of a Diesel package
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Wow! Just traded my 2012 F350 off with 40k miles and and original front brake pads were 70%.Something going on obviously are your trailer brakes functioning properly? Adjusting gain on trailer brakes to what setting as mentioned above?I have never even warped a rotor on any of my trucks.I have found factory pads to perform better than aftermarket.Lower brake dust less squeal and longevity.Very strange.....
Old 09-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Harpo, I assume you are talking about replacing brake pads and not rotors (which used to be a weakness in Fords years ago.) I find it odd that you are having trouble with the brakes pads (assuming that is indeed the case.) Do you have your trailer brake controller properly calibrated? If not, and you tow a lot, then your truck brakes would be working harder than needed to stop the trailer and might thus need more frequent replacement. FWIW, I have the brake controller set at 6 on my 2015 F-250. Don't just go by my setting, each truck can be slightly different. If you don't feel confident in setting this yourself, you might visit a RV dealer that you trust. Once the brake controller has been eliminated as a source of the issue, you might try using some non-OEM brake pads next time. I'm sure you can find some suitable replacements by doing some research (online or with some other owners.)

Good luck with this issue! There is no reason that you should be disappointed in the brake performance in your 250!

Hmmm! I could be wrong but don't think it is a problem with the controller setting or the trailer's brakes. The controller was set per owners manual and in doing the adjustment braking the trailers brakes seem to engage and disengage properly.

I took a look at the dealers repair invoice again based on your comments and it states "found dragging brakes and inner pads were at an angle and caliper piston boots partly melted in the middle. Replaced brake pads and calipers with new and machined rotors."

I am in no way a mechanic but this leads me to believe they may have a manufacturing problem with their wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
2015 f-250 6.2 vs 6.7

You also stated that this has happened before though???The dragging and pad misalignment along with melting could be caused from absence or lack of functioning trailer brakes.It would under excessive conditions cause glazing of the rotor thus dragging of pads and excessive heat thus the melting of rubber components.
Trying to help is the reason for my questions.As I am a ASE certified technician also.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Hmmm! I could be wrong but don't think it is a problem with the controller setting or the trailer's brakes. The controller was set per owners manual and in doing the adjustment braking the trailers brakes seem to engage and disengage properly.

I took a look at the dealers repair invoice again based on your comments and it states "found dragging brakes and inner pads were at an angle and caliper piston boots partly melted in the middle. Replaced brake pads and calipers with new and machined rotors."

I am in no way a mechanic but this leads me to believe they may have a manufacturing problem with their wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Harpo, I think this warrants a discussion with the service manager at your dealership to see if this is covered under warranty. As far as I know, there is no secret problem with the front brakes or rotors of the F-250, this sounds like a one off issue which I would think is covered under your warranty. It's certainly worth pushing this issue a bit further. Remember, these F-250s are made to tow loads twice as heavy as our Airstreams, if the brakes were this sensitive, Fords would be failing all over the place and they certainly would not be the #1 work truck brand in the US. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bob
Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
You also stated that this has happened before though???The dragging and pad misalignment along with melting could be caused from absence or lack of functioning trailer brakes.It would under excessive conditions cause glazing of the rotor thus dragging of pads and excessive heat thus the melting of rubber components.
Trying to help is the reason for my questions.As I am a ASE certified technician also.

I have repeatedly checked the trailers brake since this problem first come to my attention and I don't believe they are the cause. We really have not used the trucks brakes excessively (i.e.. no repeated steep downhill braking, used tow/haul mode when warranted, no hard or repeated braking etc.). With the dodge truck we owned I hauled a cargo trailer with no brakes on it and again never gave me a bit of trouble. The thing that I find perplexing is that they said the pads were wearing at an angle. Would this indicate that the wheel is out of round?