Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
youngpeck's Avatar

 
1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 358
With my F-250 I'm glad I have the bigger gas engine for pulling in the mountains. I've also pulled with several friends' diesel Fords and appreciate the much more significant torque and power, especially, again, in mountainous country. My wife, however, won't have a diesel, even the newer, quieter, sweet-smelling ones. Neither version (gas or diesel), in my opinion, would be overkill out West.
__________________

__________________
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
pappy19's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The new diesels maintenance cost is negligible.Depreciation is far worse with a gas Ford Superduty maybe if you were planning on keeping it till the wheels fall off the gas would be a better choice.Fuel savings with a diesel is negligible any more.They are whisper quiet with no trace of diesel smell.And nothing pulls a larger Airstream better than than a Superduty 6.7 with 440 horsepower and 860 ft lbs of torque.

Resale can't be beat if you trade every 2-3 years.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
You must be kidding! Cost on a new Ford 6.7 diesel to change the oil, filter and urea is over $250 at most dealerships. Fuel filters are $45-60. Gas engines; oil change $19.95 and fuel filter is $10. Not to mention no worries about contaminated fuel ruining injectors or pumps(can you say $4,000 to replace?). No doubt that a new diesel can out perform a gas, no argument there. As I have said over and over, when you buy a diesel truck to tow an Airstream, it's all because of WANT, not because of NEED. And that's ok with me, but a gas rig is much more appropriate and much easier to maintain, IMHO.
__________________

__________________
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,763
Images: 12
Diesel oil change @ Albany NY area Ford dealer was $115 last week. DEF fluid costs about $45 to fill DEF tank for about 5,000 miles.
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Professional Wanderer
 
907airstream's Avatar
 
1987 34' Excella
FLW , Missouri
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
I have a 2014 f-350 6.7. I love it. I would not purchase a gas motor in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, but then again I would not buy a V-6 sportscar. Can you pull a trailer with a gasser. Absolutely. However, I just like a diesel. Any of the new 3/4 or 1 ton trucks can sufficiently pull your airstream. Its a matter of what YOU want. There are upkeep costs on both. I personally run synthetic oil. This makes my oil changes almost prohibitively expensive. But, its what I want to do. Good luck on your choice.
__________________
2004 Excursion 6.0 and a 1987 34' excella

Strong men fight so others don't have to
907airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
RamblinManGa's Avatar

 
2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 840
Images: 2
Hi from AZ. . .2 comments, I loved my 08 F250 V10, it was a great truck, except that it got 10 mpg with no trailer, no load, nada. It also had poor resale value due to comment 1. Most people buying 250's are hauling or pulling. My Ecoboost F150 pulls same trailer fine & without trailer following, gets nearly 20 mpg..The diesels cost more to buy AND maintain, but get better mpg's & have better resale than the gas 250s...IMO. Regards, Craig
__________________
WBCCI 2851,4CU
RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
You must be kidding! Cost on a new Ford 6.7 diesel to change the oil, filter and urea is over $250 at most dealerships.
That is completely false.

I had a complete oil change, tire rotation, Air filter change , DEF fill-up for $120.00 at my Ford dealer. I also get every fourth oil change free.

I have a 2013 Platinum F-250 6.7l diesel and I love it. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Quiet, nice ride, beautiful truck, low emissions, plenty of power, great mileage.

I think too many people are living in the past. This new breed of modern diesels are amazing.
__________________
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
You must be kidding! Cost on a new Ford 6.7 diesel to change the oil, filter and urea is over $250 at most dealerships. Fuel filters are $45-60. Gas engines; oil change $19.95 and fuel filter is $10. Not to mention no worries about contaminated fuel ruining injectors or pumps(can you say $4,000 to replace?). No doubt that a new diesel can out perform a gas, no argument there. As I have said over and over, when you buy a diesel truck to tow an Airstream, it's all because of WANT, not because of NEED. And that's ok with me, but a gas rig is much more appropriate and much easier to maintain, IMHO.
I do not now where you are getting all the misinformation you are listing here but I actually own one (2012) and just bought a second one(2015).Oil change with tax $89.00.Fuel contamination?Were are you coming up with all this?

This is all BS I have owned many gas trucks and there is very little difference in maintainence.
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Diesel oil change @ Albany NY area Ford dealer was $115 last week. DEF fluid costs about $45 to fill DEF tank for about 5,000 miles.
Def fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal at Oreilly Auto Parts nation wide.That would be about 1/2 of what you are paying
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,763
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Def fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal at Oreilly Auto Parts nation wide.That would be about 1/2 of what you are paying
We were on the road and I had to buy the DEF in Canada where everything is expensive!!! I waited until we got to Albany for the oil change for that very same reason. Glad to see that DEF is so "cheap" in the US.

__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Wayward's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 803
My 4.2l 1/2ton V6 is all I need to pull the Airstream

My 6.2L 3/4ton V8 is more than I need to pull the Airstream

One's a little slower up the hill, but it does not matter - cuz I'm pullin' an Airstream
__________________
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #25
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Def fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal at Oreilly Auto Parts nation wide.That would be about 1/2 of what you are paying
Bulk DEF is available at most Flying J/PILOT and other big truck stops.
I refilled my DEF tank for $2.79/gallon at a CEFCO truck stop.

If I were to get an F250, I'd get the diesel. Not because it is financially a smart decision, but because "REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS".
Well, that's what my friend's diesel truck back window sticker reads anyway.
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,421
Blog Entries: 2
Oil change on my Cummins Is fifty nine dollars at the dealer. They send me a coupon to use because I bought from them. Rotella oil and filter change. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,763
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Bulk DEF is available at most Flying J/PILOT and other big truck stops.
I refilled my DEF tank for $2.79/gallon at a CEFCO truck stop.

If I were to get an F250, I'd get the diesel. Not because it is financially a smart decision, but because "REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS".
Well, that's what my friend's diesel truck back window sticker reads anyway.
Wow, I knew stuff was overpriced in Canada, but to see that what I paid over $10 a gallon for over there (at Canadian Tire no less) is available here for $2.79 is simply amazing!!!
__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,421
Blog Entries: 2
Sorry for my off topic post. Jim
__________________

__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canopener 2015 Alumitater Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 969 02-11-2015 08:51 PM
2015 MOUNTAIN AIR Rally April 17-20 2015 shermantic Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 2 01-13-2015 08:43 AM
2015 Classic news Firedog1 Airstream Trailer Forums 7 01-06-2014 06:37 PM
250 MH :: 1990 Airstream 250 barend Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:32 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.