Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, too many posts to answer separately, so I will try to answer with my opinions on some of the statements.

Turbos made Diesels work and this has been accepted with open arms. Now that turbos are on gas engines, everything is going to blow up as soon as it's out of warranty. Yea sure, they will blow up just like the diesels did!

2.7 L engine has no power; Well it has more power and torque than my Lincoln has. Even though I chose to buy a 3.5L Ecoboost, the 2.7 L should do as good or maybe even better than my 300 Horse power 355 lbs torque 32 valve dual overhead cam 5.4L V-8 Navigator engine.

All 5.4 L engines all spit out spark plugs. My Lincoln 5.4 L engine has about 123,000 miles with the original plugs and it hasn't spit one out yet. This is just like all Marthons will instantly fly apart the second you go over 65 MPH. Sometimes the scare tactics and BS really fly on this forum.

A half ton brakes won't stop a brakeless trailer. I lost connection with my trailer cord once and my Lincoln stopped my trailer while going down hill with absolutely no trailer brakes. My F-150 has much larger brakes than my Lincoln.

Of coarse the Ecoboost is going to use more gas when under a load and doing the job of a larger V-8, But that boost is what is going to keep this engine from losing about 30% of it's horse power in high altitudes and that is one of the main reasons that I picked the Ecoboost over the 5.0 L V-8.

Oh and don't you worry about Ford needing a cathode for the aluminum body; Maybe you should be more concerned about having a cathode for your Airstream. [also has an aluminum body] Oh how we forget!

And being spark plug free! So you don't have a second gas powered vehicle, lawn mower, weed eater, snow blower, generator, or motorcycle?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 AM   #30
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
There is a certain amount of potential energy in a given volume of fuel.
Diesel has slightly more potential energy per gallon than gasoline, roughly equivalent to the difference in their densities (~7 lb/gal vs ~6).
For a couple of reasons, compression ignition is slightly better at converting that energy than spark ignition.

Two main things come into play for fuel burn
(1) how much fuel does the engine need to keep running - this includes the friction of the bearings, the amount of energy needed to spin the turbo, etc. In general, fewer cylinders means less fuel spent to do this.
(2) how much power is being harvested from the output shaft.

You can get an estimate of how many horsepower it takes to run your vehicle at a given speed by back calculating with some pretty rough numbers. As I recall, gasoline engines were typically in the .42 to .43 pounds per hour per horsepower, a diesel will be better, but I don't know precisely what. A direct injection gas might be in the high .3's, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment. Off the top of that same head, at 60mph, and 20 mpg, you're burning something like 3 gallons per hour. At 18 pounds per hour, you're well under 50hp in cruise - and aerodynamics plays a big part of this too. (it's not quite 7AM when I'm typing this, and I'm guessing that 18/0.4 is around 44, round it to fifty then).

Unloaded or lightly loaded then, you're working against wind, the transmission, and the "drag" of the engine's mechanicals. You can expect a turbo 4 to do pretty well, fuel burn wise, in this scenario. Less junk to move = less power needed to move it. Less mass = less fuel to move it, etc. But when it comes time to move a 6000 pound box up a hill at 60mph, it matters less what kind of engine it is than how much horsepower it takes, and it'll take close the same, regardless of the engine type, displacement, etc. Even an Airstream has enough weight and drag to negate most of the aero difference between tow vehicles.

What will make a big difference is how much energy is in a given volume of fuel, and how efficiently that engine can convert that to power. And that's going to be somewhere around 0.4 pounds per hour per horsepower. If you have a huge reserve of power and tap into it, your fuel economy will go down. If you don't, it won't, at least not by as much.

For giggles, if the Ram diesel could get 30mpg highway, at 60 mph, that's about 2 gallons per hour, or 14 pounds per hour. divide that by .4 and round down a little, and it seems they must have done some interesting aero things to that body. I'm too proud to use a calculator and my slide rule is across the room, so ...

Disclaimers: none of this is fact-checked, and it's probably worth what you paid for it. Or maybe not.
:-D

Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
All 5.4 L engines all spit out spark plugs. My Lincoln 5.4 L engine has about 123,000 miles with the original plugs and it hasn't spit one out yet. This is just like all Marthons will instantly fly apart the second you go over 65 MPH. Sometimes the scare tactics and BS really fly on this forum.
Its the replacement plugs that spit out. I know wise guys that tried to pay ford dealers to replace their plugs while the truck was still under warranty and they wouldn't unless the truck was misfiring. They didn't want to open a can of worms.
Also I'm told ford is number 1 in denying warranty claims.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Carbon issues on Ecoboost and tips
Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Its the replacement plugs that spit out. I know wise guys that tried to pay ford dealers to replace their plugs while the truck was still under warranty and they wouldn't unless the truck was misfiring. They didn't want to open a can of worms.
Also I'm told ford is number 1 in denying warranty claims.
Hi, I worked at new car dealers since 1968, mostly Ford dealers. We don't just replace parts because you want them replaced, they have to have a problem/or be defective. But if you insist, and want to pay for it, we would do it for you. If there is a problem and it turns into a can of worms, we take care of it. In my experience Chevrolet and Oldsmobile tried to deny more claims than Ford. But that can be different from location to location. I personally did thousands of warranty repairs at Ford, some of them were owner f-ups and Ford still paid for them.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Carbon issues on Ecoboost and tips

Hi, this seems to be a possible problem with all direct injection gas engines. Some cures for this problem is to run high quality gas from major brand gas stations, not from Joe's dairy, food markets, and no name gas stations. Also run the 7734 out of the engine once in a while to blow the carbon out. We had similar problems in the 60's with huge engines barely coming off of an idle to go to the corner store and back; These became carbon city and sludge mountain. Now with two sets of injectors, one direct and the other before the intake valve is another cure for this concern and some engines now come with this system.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here's an Eco Boosted Duramax.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Some cures for this problem is to run high quality gas from major brand gas stations, not from Joe's dairy, food markets, and no name gas stations. .
Sorry to go off topic.
I thought convenience store gas got theirs from the same sources as Shell, Chevron, Exxon etc.

Can this tow an Airstream?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Sorry to go off topic.
I thought convenience store gas got theirs from the same sources as Shell, Chevron, Exxon etc.

Can this tow an Airstream?

Kelvin
Hi, I cornered and talked to some of the delivery guys. Many of them wouldn't talk to me about the gas they were delivering. A few of them told me how crappy the gas is. When asked if they burn it in their cars, I was told that none of the delivery guys, where this guy works, will put it in their vehicles. Now if the guy who delivers the gas and his co-workers won't put it in their own cars, that tells you something. They further went on about how the quality, additives, and filtering was not the same as name brands.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Old 02-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I know that in our area the "gasoline" comes from the closest refinery to the local bulk plant. The local bulk plant adds the additives as it is loaded onto the truck depending on the brand of fuel. Much of the filtering can also be directly attributed to the station dispensing the fuel and how proactive their maintenance program is.
A corporate owned store should be better maintained than a local no-name convenience store.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
After all the problems ford customers had with the 6 liter diesel and the 5.4 spark plugs blowing out of the heads, and the newer ones which were 2 piece, and breaking off when removing them,I ,myself switched to dodge ,and I am glad I did, it makes me wonder about a smaller engine with twin turbos, I wonder if you have to plug the alumium ford into a cathode at night to keep it from corroding?
We are all sure glad you switched to a dodger, you wouldn't like a Ford anyway.

BTW, for all you Dodge Cummins diesel boys still having problems, here an update on the law suit.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I now have 87000 on the 07 dodge , with no problems, I do not drive it as a grocery getter,only driven on long trips with the airstream, this engine will have have problems if used around town and as a grocery getter..it does very well for what it was purchased for, just like my big truck with a 500 hp cat with 1.35 million miles and the head has never been off, no around town or idling ,the KW cab is alumium and fiberglass, held together with rivets .......still tight.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Pappy your story is from 2011.
I was never notified of a class action suit, not that I would want to b part of it.
The only people to get any money apparently was the law firm and original plaintiff.
My truck got the ecu reflashes and seems to run fine.

Dodge DPF | MyCarlady.com

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote