Old 09-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
. , British Columbia
Originally Posted by mxfamily View Post
We are rated to tow 6500 pounds and have the factory tow package. The dealer mentioned take 20% off the 6500 for elevation (we live in the Denver area). Do you have an advice or suggestions?
I think that your dealer gave you a good advice.
It's my personal opinion not to exceed 75-80% of the max tow capacity.
Just for the sake of safety and to compensate for all eventualities.

so long

j-ten-ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
A Tacoma and an Airstream means go! Have had several Toyota vehicles and the Tacoma is quite capable. There are some great brake upgrades that are worthwhile...rotors and pads especially. Check the Toyota forums. Have fun!

wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Madison , Wisconsin
I think it's a good idea to knock off 20% just for a safety margin, doesn't make sense to be towing at the limits, at least in my mind, and I'd knock off more if I was in the mountains a majority of the time. It's stressful towing at times anyway and then to be barely getting up the mountains and wondering about braking downhill, doesn't help.

I towed my 2014 Bambi for awhile with a Nissan Frontier crewcab, 6000lb towing capacity so well within limits, yet it never felt like it had what it took. I now tow the Bambi with a Ram 4 door pickup with the eco diesel. Supposedly only a 1200 lb towing capacity increase, but what a difference! Recently went out to Yellowstone from Madison WI and besides feeling very comfortable at 65-70 mph, passes over the Big Horns were no issue, could accelerate at any time, braking was good and never felt like the trailer might take charge. Wish I had gotten a truly adequate tow vehicle sooner. Not to mention the ecodiesel did better than 18 mpg for the whole trip! The point! Even though a vehicle is capable on paper it doesn't mean much when you are near the limits and it's on your mind as a issue every second on the highway. The fun factor goes down really fast.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote