Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey Lara Me, love your last line. Couldn't agree more.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I finally picked up my new 28' FC, and had the chance to put the "13 Ram 2500 CTD to the test. The rear end was a bit taller than expected, so I had to get a longer shank for the Equil-izer (cough $190!). Even then, I needed some wood blocks under the tongue jack in order to get it high enough to relax the load on the load bars and get them to slide easily into place.

The service guy was initially perplexed at why the the hookup didn't show the trailer being connected, but this was remedied by simply starting the Ram, and it instantly "saw" the trailer. The service guy remarked that I had chosen my tow vehicle wisely. They have a few F150 Eboosts on the lot to shuttle trailers between their locations, and his personal opinion was that they were not enough for a 27'+ trailer, especially with any load.

We got the FC hitched and I headed out. The Ram has a ton of grunt, and when we hit the on ramp, it got that trailer up and moving. I felt the weight certainly, but the Ram did just fine.

Not more than 3 miles out of the dealer, I hit Tiger Summit, a nice grade. Lots of semi's in the slow lane, and it wasn't any problem to pass.Gas mileage dropped to 3-5 mpg, but this is a pretty steep grade. On the downhill, I tried out the Ram's exhaust brake, which did great. A few more hills, which the Ram tackled with no problems.

The next day, headed out east on I90 to see how well the Ram pulled the Airstream up to Snoqualmie Pass. Again, getting up to speed on the on ramps, you feel the weight, but at highway speeds, the Ram just OWNS this trailer. No doubt about who is in charge.

Settling down to 60-65mph, I saw the average climb to 13-15mpg on straight sections, and about 6-9 on grades. The rear end, loaded, makes the Ram squat perfectly and increases ride quality. They are happiest towing a load, methinks. I need to dial in the trailer brakes a bit, but had no problem hauling the FC down from speeds.

So after this short run, I can safely say the Ram CTD was a great choice. The Ram had the power, but I did have to goose it and on the grades, I always felt the weight and the Ram working.

I see these posts where folks are talking about how their F150 eboosts do just fine, but I have my doubts. I have to believe they are struggling up any kind of grade, or have the throttle pinned and are lucky to hold 55-60, much less hit 60+ required to pass a slow semi or class A pusher loafing in the slow lane. I was very torn initially at getting a 3/4 CTD, especially as I have to drive this somewhat regularly, but after the maiden run, I have no doubts about whether it was overkill.

No such thing as too much truck.
Hi, I certainly hope that you didn't pump GAS into your new Diesel truck. One of my friends followed me with his Dodge CTD and was very surprised at how fast My Lincoln pulled the mountains with virtually the same trailer that he has. For reference the Eco-boost has 65 more horsepower than my Lincoln and 65 ft lbs more torque than my Lincoln. So the Eco-boost shouldn't be struggling up hills or they need a different driver.

Personal opinion, but I think half ton pickups are limited to a 25' trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
You will love the Ram CTD ... we couldn't believe the difference when we traded in the V-8 F150 Lariat! While the big Ford V-8 could never decide just which gear it wanted on hills, the TD simply smiles and continues on its way at whatever speed we like - the trailer disappears! The difference in compression braking and improved braking is also a huge improvement for us over the 1/2 Ton Lariat.

We will be anxious to see how the new coils in the rear of the Ram 3/4 T prove out - it seems like a better idea... to get more progressive in the springs as our leaves are a bit harsh on us when unloaded ... and the trailer as well ???

You are doing great for fuel economy; ours has not gotten to that "broken in" phase that we keep hearing about ... when the fuel economy improves through the ceiling (LOL). But, over all we are very satisfied with the Ram CTD.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
One of my Alumalina friends was telling me at the rally a couple of weeks ago that he was a long haul trucker for many, many years. He figures 500,000 miles on the Cummins before it'd be close to needing to be opened up. While I know I won't either be around or keep it that long, these diesels are pretty bulletproof -- now about all the EPA junk hooked onto it.....well, that's a different story.
I have 576K on my 99 Dodge Cummins with no engine work and none in sight so the trucker spoke the truth
I have seen several that passed the million mile mark.

We just moved it back to second truck duty and replaced with a 2013. Haven't used it enough to have a real feel for it yet but I did notice there weren't any hills in West Virginia anymore.
The computer seems to be about 1 to 1.5 mpg high compared to hand calculated fuel mileage

Regarding DEF, it does not seem to be a problem as it is available at most auto parts stores for around $5 to $6 a gallon and at the truck pumps at Pilot/Flying J for around $2.80..
I seem to be running about 600 miles per DEF gallon.
Only filled it once, 3.4 gallons in a little over 2000 miles . That would add about 1/2 cent per mile to the operating cost
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
I'm a little surprised that DEF consumption is so high compared to what I've experienced on my Mercedes GL but suppose it could be just the higher volume of fuel being pushed thru the Cummings compared to the Bluetec and consequently the higher volume of DEF required to scrub it. Im enclosing a very basic diagram in case some are unsure of the role of DEF. In any case I've loved my Cummings Dodges and may very well get another so I'm following the 2014 RAM owner experiences closely. I wish the European manufactures recent advertisement push for diesels (love the new Audi commercial where guys close to a station go berserk about a lady pumping diesel into her Audi sedan). Diesels make so much sense it's astounding that the old rattling smelly diesel stigma could persist so long with all the technology advances. Now if government would just wake up and cut the BIO credits and tax such that fuel prices would get proportional to crude and refining expense we could really see diesels take their rightful place on the road. Anyone who has never driven, much less towed, with a new diesel should try one before dismissing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3741785858.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	197451  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The Ramforumz guys are saying you can get 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. We'll see...and you're right, the big truck stops are set up to pump it right into the tank. WalMart is apparently the cheapest place to buy it. I just hit the 500 mile mark on my new truck (was out of town for a week), and expect to hitch up and pull in the next week. Appreciated reading Lara's post since we have the same truck. I won't get into the big mountains until late Spring, and fully expect the torque and the exhaust brake to make a major difference in towability (and safety). I have yet to find a single quality issue in my Ram. GREAT!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It is possible my "DEF mileage" number will turn out to be low. I have only filled it once and my calculations are based on the truck having a full tank when it was delivered which may not have been the case
The gauge was at about 1/2 when I filled it at the Pilot pump. Time will tell.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Towed the 28' FC about 300 miles this past weekend, through varied elevation, no passes or major hills, and averaging 64 mph on the freeways. Fully loaded with 4 plus gear, and empty fresh water tank but otherwise stocked trailer, we averaged about 14.5 computerized mpg (could have pushed more if I hadn't hot rodded up a 1000 foot hill or pushed it a bit on the highway). Mileage hand calculated was 13.5. Super comfy when towing fully loaded. Loaded we are getting 450 miles to a tank, unloaded it's nearly 600, and the rig has 4k miles on the engine, not even to its first oil change.

Ebrake worked well, as did tow haul mode. Trailer was rock solid. Still trying to find the sweet spot for the trailer brake settings on the Ram.

I love this truck. About as comfy as can be, though I don't doubt the coil suspension of Bab's 2014 model is that much better.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a '13 Ram 2500 and mostly tow our AS with it.....I estimate that we travel 5-7000 miles on a tank of DEF.....we'll see with more driving experience. I suspect that DEF consumption is also related to towing vs "daily driving".
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I talked to Dick Smith Motors. Apparently the air bag suspension has been delayed. Hope my TV can hold out.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Towed the 28' FC about 300 miles this past weekend, through varied elevation, no passes or major hills, and averaging 64 mph on the freeways. Fully loaded with 4 plus gear, and empty fresh water tank but otherwise stocked trailer, we averaged about 14.5 computerized mpg (could have pushed more if I hadn't hot rodded up a 1000 foot hill or pushed it a bit on the highway). Mileage hand calculated was 13.5. Super comfy when towing fully loaded. Loaded we are getting 450 miles to a tank, unloaded it's nearly 600, and the rig has 4k miles on the engine, not even to its first oil change. Ebrake worked well, as did tow haul mode. Trailer was rock solid. Still trying to find the sweet spot for the trailer brake settings on the Ram. I love this truck. About as comfy as can be, though I don't doubt the coil suspension of Bab's 2014 model is that much better.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. This truck is on my purchase list-though a few years out as we have to get some more mileage out of our Dodge Durango

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

My friend has a 2012 Dodge Diesel 2500 and he showed me an after market Air Bag setup. He installed it himself and he said it cost about $200.00. and he loves the ride. So why wait just get one and install it your self. He said the ride is impressive and and this is his 3rd truck with air bags.
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Ok, I just loooked up air bags ..this is what Firestone has on special. Dodge Ram 2500, 3500 Firestone Air Bags, Ram 2500 3500 Suspension Air Bags Check it out. $337.00

Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote