Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The link to the "bug screen" shows one that is far too restrictive. What we use on company Peterbllts (supplied by them) has openings of much greater size. I would not go any smaller . . and use something that will go in front of the grille, not behind it.

I use on my CTD both a grille block (four seperate pieces of Plexi) and a MOPAR winter front to control engine warm-up, I want coolant/oil temps to rise as quickly as possible from October through April (the winter front is used only in Jan/Feb). Helps fuel economy, but mainly used as an aid to engine longevity. My work commute is short, and seeing temp rise while on the highway is the difference between using such devices and not. One will read or hear stories of declines in winter mpg due to "winter fuel" but the formula differentiation, energetically, is 2%. Controlling airflow is the difference (beyond avoiding idling).

All this is to point out that while diesels are "overcooled" (huge coolant capacity) once put to work one must be attentive operating temps.

I use GENO's GARAGE for any number of "approved" upgrades, and, were I a novice at this, I'd be more than diligent at searching out what works, what doesn't and why in each case via CUMMINS newsletters, .pdfs, press releases, etc. At www.turbodieselregister.com there is a long history of collaboration to this end.

Once that cooling capacity is taxed (and it would be done so too early with a restriction such as a bug screen), the motor is in danger of failure.

Nice looking truck.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Just took delivery of my new Ram 2500 Laramie CC 4x4 w/ 6.7 Cummins. Ordered this on 31 July. Have done some customizing, including electric tonneau (Bedlocker), bed step, mud flaps, etc. Have plugged in the 7 way just to check lights/brakes. All seems fine, but won't tow until I get at least 500 mi on the ODO (that's what the book says). Great interior....with seats up, have a flat floor for the two basset girls, and all that room in the bed for generators, etc. Ramboxes for storing hitch gear, chocks, etc. With the turbo, exhaust brake and 840 pounds of torque, I'll be good for the mountains for sure!
What a beautiful truck. We are going to get the same truck in a few years. We only have 65,000 miles on our 2007 Durango.

Post a few pictures on this thread with the AS in tow after you have broken in the new truck.

Congratulations!

Tom

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've already ordered stuff from Geno's garage (spare filters) and have their catalog. My intent with this truck is to use it first and foremost as a TV. From what I've read on the Ram and Cummins forums you are well served to drive this engine hard. The emissions system craps up much easier with stop and go, low speed ops., it needs exhaust heat to clean itself out. This is my 2d turbo diesel, but first Cummins. I'm really thrilled with the Ram/Cummins combo.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Barry,

I third Geno's and TDR as supplier of common items and a knowledge forum.

It's amazing what a real engine feels like when you hook up and say giddie up. Those Clydesdale connecting rods and berry bucket pistons make a real 6 mule team. Maybe short winded but fears no hills.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
That's 800lbs torque...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I was initially concerned the radiator mod would reduce airflow. It doesn't seem to have any impact on oil, coolant, or transmission temps, as I watched the temp readouts for various coolers, and the main opening in the middle is not covered. Where the mesh is, there is no meaningful blockage. Same as on my Honda.

I don't live in Texas however, and it may be that regular travel in that hot summer climate requires every last bit of air flow. Here in the PNW, we rarely see over 100 except in the Eastern parts. Good news is that the mod is easily removed if it becomes an issue. Love that the radiator is not beat up.

Babs, the addition of DEF seems to solve the older egr issues, plus it increases oil change intervals. Word seems to be to avoid deletes common to the 08-12 models. Was worried about DEF but it's so far been a non event. Make sure you check out the thread on "what I did for my truck today" which has nifty ideas on a cheap gas Cap, and the Geno's air cabin filter kit. I added an amp research bed step to help climb into the back, and a retrax pro bed cover. Like with this forum, it can get spendy to visit the forums.

My 13 has the vented and cooled seats, and even with black leather, no problems being comfy in shorts on a 80+ degree day. Love the heated seats, front and rear, and heated steering wheel. Winter is coming.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I ordered the truck in late July and by the time it arrived last week there was no room in my garage from all the "stuff" I ordered to mod the 2500. That included mud flaps (F&R), a Bedlocker electric tonneau, wind deflector, the AMP bed step, and a bunch of stuff I didn't need...but....I'd ordered it with full length side rails, sun roof, cargo camera, etc. It may have been cheaper to have ordered the Longhorn but embroidered steers on the seats? Didn't like some of the features on the Limited, so just "tricked out" the Laramie. Also have the black leather interior....and yes, the heated/cooled seats really do work. Here are a couple more photos. Expect to hitch up and go somewhere (anywhere!) next week and will post photos. This first trip will include a stop by the CAT scales as new TV means different weight distribution than my QX56. But, best feature of all is the flip up rear seats and the flat floor -- the basset girls have a tempurpedic mattress for comfy sleeping....and the generators will be in the bed of the truck rather than in THEIR sleeping space!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	196950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	196951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	196952  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Hope you got the alpine stereo option, I love mine!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I was initially concerned the radiator mod would reduce airflow. It doesn't seem to have any impact on oil, coolant, or transmission temps, as I watched the temp readouts for various coolers, and the main opening in the middle is not covered. Where the mesh is, there is no meaningful blockage. Same as on my Honda.

I don't live in Texas however, and it may be that regular travel in that hot summer climate requires every last bit of air flow. Here in the PNW, we rarely see over 100 except in the Eastern parts. Good news is that the mod is easily removed if it becomes an issue. Love that the radiator is not beat up.

Babs, the addition of DEF seems to solve the older egr issues, plus it increases oil change intervals. Word seems to be to avoid deletes common to the 08-12 models. Was worried about DEF but it's so far been a non event. Make sure you check out the thread on "what I did for my truck today" which has nifty ideas on a cheap gas Cap, and the Geno's air cabin filter kit. I added an amp research bed step to help climb into the back, and a retrax pro bed cover. Like with this forum, it can get spendy to visit the forums.

My 13 has the vented and cooled seats, and even with black leather, no problems being comfy in shorts on a 80+ degree day. Love the heated seats, front and rear, and heated steering wheel. Winter is coming.
Hi, I highly doubt that your radiator will be beat up or even touched by bugs; Seems to me the front of your radiator has a huge intercooler in front of it , an air conditioner condenser in front of that, and a few various oil coolers in there too. You don't need any more restrictions in front of your radiator. Bugs can be cleaned off/out.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Just took delivery of my new Ram 2500 Laramie CC 4x4 w/ 6.7 Cummins. Ordered this on 31 July. Have done some customizing, including electric tonneau (Bedlocker), bed step, mud flaps, etc. Have plugged in the 7 way just to check lights/brakes. All seems fine, but won't tow until I get at least 500 mi on the ODO (that's what the book says). Great interior....with seats up, have a flat floor for the two basset girls, and all that room in the bed for generators, etc. Ramboxes for storing hitch gear, chocks, etc. With the turbo, exhaust brake and 840 pounds of torque, I'll be good for the mountains for sure!
I believe you have my truck!!!!

Love that baby......mpg on the road: 22
Towing: 13-14 and it's not even broken in...only 8+k miles.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
One of my Alumalina friends was telling me at the rally a couple of weeks ago that he was a long haul trucker for many, many years. He figures 500,000 miles on the Cummins before it'd be close to needing to be opened up. While I know I won't either be around or keep it that long, these diesels are pretty bulletproof -- now about all the EPA junk hooked onto it.....well, that's a different story.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 10-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The earlier non-emissions CTD with an MTBO of 350k (B50 life) while Ford and GM were at 250k. Don't expect more than that. In fact, with emissions complexity anything above 250k would be great.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I highly doubt that your radiator will be beat up or even touched by bugs; Seems to me the front of your radiator has a huge intercooler in front of it , an air conditioner condenser in front of that, and a few various oil coolers in there too. You don't need any more restrictions in front of your radiator. Bugs can be cleaned off/out.
The 13,14's have the cac under the dual radiators,but I agree bug screens are a waste of money.Empty they won't show up as a restriction due too the huge cooling capacity
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I finally picked up my new 28' FC, and had the chance to put the "13 Ram 2500 CTD to the test. The rear end was a bit taller than expected, so I had to get a longer shank for the Equil-izer (cough $190!). Even then, I needed some wood blocks under the tongue jack in order to get it high enough to relax the load on the load bars and get them to slide easily into place.

The service guy was initially perplexed at why the the hookup didn't show the trailer being connected, but this was remedied by simply starting the Ram, and it instantly "saw" the trailer. The service guy remarked that I had chosen my tow vehicle wisely. They have a few F150 Eboosts on the lot to shuttle trailers between their locations, and his personal opinion was that they were not enough for a 27'+ trailer, especially with any load.

We got the FC hitched and I headed out. The Ram has a ton of grunt, and when we hit the on ramp, it got that trailer up and moving. I felt the weight certainly, but the Ram did just fine.

Not more than 3 miles out of the dealer, I hit Tiger Summit, a nice grade. Lots of semi's in the slow lane, and it wasn't any problem to pass. Gas mileage dropped to 3-5 mpg, but this is a pretty steep grade. On the downhill, I tried out the Ram's exhaust brake, which did great. A few more hills, which the Ram tackled with no problems.

The next day, headed out east on I90 to see how well the Ram pulled the Airstream up to Snoqualmie Pass. Again, getting up to speed on the on ramps, you feel the weight, but at highway speeds, the Ram just OWNS this trailer. No doubt about who is in charge.

Settling down to 60-65mph, I saw the average climb to 13-15mpg on straight sections, and about 6-9 on grades. The rear end, loaded, makes the Ram squat perfectly and increases ride quality. They are happiest towing a load, methinks. I need to dial in the trailer brakes a bit, but had no problem hauling the FC down from speeds.

So after this short run, I can safely say the Ram CTD was a great choice. The Ram had the power, but I did have to goose it and on the grades, I always felt the weight and the Ram working.

I see these posts where folks are talking about how their F150 eboosts do just fine, but I have my doubts. I have to believe they are struggling up any kind of grade, or have the throttle pinned and are lucky to hold 55-60, much less hit 60+ required to pass a slow semi or class A pusher loafing in the slow lane. I was very torn initially at getting a 3/4 CTD, especially as I have to drive this somewhat regularly, but after the maiden run, I have no doubts about whether it was overkill.

No such thing as too much truck.