Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Moflash, no difference in towing stability, both equally rock solid any roadway, any traffic, any weather. This is because the ProPride/Hensley hitch design does not allow any trailer yaw to be leveraged to the steering axle. Without this hitch design, the longer wheelbase provides a little more stability in theory, but not much in reality. We have had both with a conventional hitch.

There is no doubt the 140" wheelbase Ram is less maneuverable than the 120" wheelbase Ram with or without the Airstream, however. A price to pay for two more passengers or interior cargo space. The Ecodiesel engine is not available in the reg cab 120" wheelbase truck.

Give it some time,The longer wheelbase is a much more forgiving platform than a short wheelbase when it comes to towing a trailer.Regardless on hitch brand selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've always been pretty careful with loading, weight/balance, trying to keep hitch weight down. Same with our new Ecodiesel. Our Airstream has only recliner chairs, a couple of consoles in front, and we slide the refiners back.

In the new truck we have put our Weber Q grill and stand, and two rubbermaid boxes of stuff forward, with the things needed for stopping on the road at hand in back. We put down the back seat down and carried more stuff there. This is after six months on the road heading home, we have extra stuff.

We weighed the new rig on the way out of town with us in it and some extra bags for Grandma's garden (our first stop) in the bed. We were near GVWR, well under GAWR and GCWR. Took off the garden bags today, set a little more lift on the ProPride w.d. to perfectly level trailer and move a bit of weight to the steering axle, and things look pretty close to where we want to be. Will know more when home (about 2500 miles) and we can tweak it to a normal traveling load.

The Ram EcoD handles our equipment, ProPride hitch, and Airstream 25 RB nicely. A couple photos of the truck with our present load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	259853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	259854  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
These Rams do not have daytime running lights in operation as delivered from the factory in the U.S. In Canada they do because the law requires them to work, and I understand they can "flash" the truck's computer for Canadians when they buy a truck in the U.S.

But when I asked an Arizona dealer service to do it for us on our new truck, a service manage said no way, Canadian trucks are wired differently.

The headlight options are for regular headlights and projector beam headlights, apparently they codes needed for each are different.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what to ask for specifically to get this done (realizing it's hard to get around a manager who says "no way") without researching the question?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #144
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
These Rams do not have daytime running lights in operation as delivered from the factory in the U.S. In Canada they do because the law requires them to work, and I understand they can "flash" the truck's computer for Canadians when they buy a truck in the U.S.

But when I asked an Arizona dealer service to do it for us on our new truck, a service manage said no way, Canadian trucks are wired differently.

The headlight options are for regular headlights and projector beam headlights, apparently they codes needed for each are different.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what to ask for specifically to get this done (realizing it's hard to get around a manager who says "no way") without researching the question?
I don't know if your 2016 model is different than the earlier models, but the following worked up through 2015.

Enable LM5 in the vehicle software.

Details in this document (yes, it says 2500, but it is the same code):
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf

Discussed in this thread here:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...e-success.html

Good luck

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
On my 09 truck which has the can-bus system it was just a matter of having the dealer change a code in the computer when I wanted to have the DRL's turned off. I think you should find a more knowledgeable dealer.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our first long day towing the Ram EcoD/ProPride/Airstream FC 25 took us 564 miles from north of Silver City, NM through Ruidoso, NM (beautiful mountain country) to Amarillo, TX.

Mountain grades, interstate all taken in stride. Set the cruise control and let the little diesel and 8-speed take it from there. Maintains speed up and down grades, rock solid on the interstate, 16.4 mpg for the day. Very comfortable ride, no stress whatsoever.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:03 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I don't know if your 2016 model is different than the earlier models, but the following worked up through 2015.
I agree. I had a 2014 RAM and part of my requirement when purchasing was to have them enable the DRLs on the truck. It was the first time the mechanics had done it, and it took them longer than expected, but they were able to figure it out eventually. So, as stated, unless something has changed, it can be done.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #148
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
drl

I also think you can disengage them by removing a fuse in the panel under the hood. I know personaly I hate them. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #149
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
2014 RAM 1500 EcoDIESEL has arrived!

Quote:
Our first long day towing the Ram EcoD/ProPride/Airstream FC 25 took us 564 miles from north of Silver City, NM through Ruidoso, NM (beautiful mountain country) to Amarillo, TX.

Mountain grades, interstate all taken in stride. Set the cruise control and let the little diesel and 8-speed take it from there. Maintains speed up and down grades, rock solid on the interstate, 16.4 mpg for the day. Very comfortable ride, no stress whatsoever.

Average speed according to computer was? (Also is engine hours from start to finish divided by miles travelled).

Travel speed was?

Excellent numbers. I've seen from 14-16/mpg with my 555TQ straight six Cummins at 1,725-rpm at 58/59-mph. 17 is a lofty goal for my 69' combination at just under 18k, but not so for those with the ED (and likely shorter/lighter combo [though weight isn't really the concern]).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not really a numbers guy here, runs about 5-6 mpg better than our 5.7 Hemi towing the same Airstream, about 7-9 mpg better without. Terrain and wind are the determining factors if speed and load are consistent. I like 63-65 mph towing.

With the 8-speed it looks like gears 7 and 8 are overdrive and blocked out in tow/haul mode. Gear 6 is 1 to 1 ratio and allows a minimum of downshifting for small changes in terrain. Even when it does downshift, the next gear is very close and there is little change in engine speed.

On fairly level roadway I turned off tow/haul mode to see how it would do. We have the 3.92 differential and it did well, right up to eight gear and help it fine. But if the grade changes or you turn into the wind, its looking for a lower gear. I'm not sure if I should tow this large trailer without tow/haul so only experimented with it?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Top, curious, how does biodiesel clog up inter cooler, turbo, etc?
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2012 6.7L Cummins manual only allows up to 5% bio-diesel. The big three - Loves, Pilot & Flying J are pump placarded up to 20% bio- diesel. I avoid bio- diesel like the plague. They are charging more for much less BTUs per gallon.

Mercedes tells me to avoid it as well in our two V6 3.0L diesels.

In a pinch put in just a few gallons to limp to another place and start diluting ASAP.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I wonder what is different between the 2012 and 2015 Cummins 6.7 regarding biodiesel. My 2015 is supposed to support up to B20 or are the changes more in the emissions equipment. From this article of a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD he explains the benefits.

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-truck...ear-editorial/

Kelvin
Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #154

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
I realize you addressed Lance (Top) here, but biodiesel would have no effect on the intercooler unless you were spraying it into the air intake, diesels inject directly into the cylinder (thus downstream from the intercooler.) I guess if it somehow dirtied the exhaust by orders of magnitude it could have an effect on the turbine side of the turbo but it seems like the potentially sensitive parts would be fuel pumps, lines and injectors and possibly the emissions equipment.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Plugged fuel injectors due to plant material that can pass through the stock fuel filters are big $$$ to replace.

When I installed the 56 gallon fuel tank in place of the stock tank, I installed a Cummins branded water separator coming out of the tank. From there the fuel line went to the pump via the stock filter system on the engine block. From there the fuel passes through a Cummins branded two micron fuel filter before getting to the fuel rail on the engine.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #156
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
It doesn't. I never made any such claim. I use biodiesel regularly.

I avoid old wives tales like the plague.

The greater problem, in my opinion, is the lack of diesel fuel lubricity to keep the HPFP working for a long happy life. Biodiesel can be a great aid in that area.

I'm basically saying the same thing over and over, so I'll leave it at this-

I like biodiesel and think it is great, others don't.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My understanding of the biodiesel is that you have a greater chance of water in the fuel and potential algae problems. Moisture is what can kill the modern diesel injection system. Lubricity tends to be better with biodiesel than the newer ULSD. Mileage will be less with biodiesel - less BTU's.
If your running bio - have a good filtering system, change them on a regular basis and open the drain on the fuel/water separator or filter once in awhile.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #158
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
My understanding of the biodiesel is that you have a greater chance of water in the fuel and potential algae problems. Moisture is what can kill the modern diesel injection system. Lubricity tends to be better with biodiesel than the newer ULSD. Mileage will be less with biodiesel - less BTU's.
If your running bio - have a good filtering system, change them on a regular basis and open the drain on the fuel/water separator or filter once in awhile.
I'm talking about a biodiesel BLEND that is dispensed at most, if not all, retail diesel pumps in Texas and the midwest USA. You know, B5, B10 even up to B20 where the number equates to the percentage of biodiesel.

I've replaced my fuel filter at the specified interval of 20,000 miles for B20 use as a worst case scenario. When I did the filter change, there was no detectable water in the bottom of the filter bowl.

This thread is about the RAM 1500 EcoDIESEL. Your old stories about your old Cummins, while interesting and often times humorous, are irrelevant to this thread. All new light duty diesel pickups are B20 capable (with some maintenance interval adjustments)

Information, true factual information, on Biodiesel blends in the USA can be found here-
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/biodiesel.shtml
http://biodiesel.org/
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodiesel.html

B20 has only 2% less BTUs than 100% ULSD. That is not typically perceptible to any degree by the private consumer of diesel.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have both a VW TDI (our second) and Ram Ecodiesel. My experience with soot clogging up the intake system (turbo, intercooler and intake) came 15 years ago after using some tanks of high percentage bio (possibly 100%) in very cold -20 degree Minnesota winter. The dealer had cleaned out several intake systems like ours and said it was from the biodiesel, the extreme cold, and the EGR system feeding the soot back through the intake. The intake system was so clogged it accelerated very slowly and barely maintained 50 mph.

This is an old experience and may not be related to modern biodiesel or our modern engines, but it still bothers me a lot.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The last couple of weeks we traveled from Arizona to near Jackson Center, OH with the Ecodiesel. Terrific on fuel, the 26 gallon tank only needs fueling about once a day or so, depending on miles traveled. We saw only one diesel pump labeled with biodiesel, that was a Loves Station. We passed and went to another, but now I am really confused about whether it matters. Conflicting advice, one bad experience of my own years ago.

Nonetheless our Ram EcoD was a pleasure to tow our Airstream on this cross-country trip. It's great advantages over our previous Ram Hemi 6-speed is the excellent fuel usage and low RPM torque. The 8-speed has close ratios for climbing and descending grades. I don't see a need for an exhaust brake here, the transmission/engine compression holds speeds very well, and we have plenty of truck and trailer brake for the really steep grades when it doesn't (which we have not encountered yet). The ride and seats are pleasant, never tiring on long days.

Tags