Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
2013 Grand Cherokee TV

Looking at a 2013 Grand Cherokee as a new TV. Crunched the numbers and with the tow package, 6 speed auto and the hemi, it's rated to tow 7400. My Safari 25 tips the scales at 6240#. The torque rating on the hemi is actually higher than the 6.0 in my 2500HD. Talked to a senior editor at one of the 4x4 books and the word he's getting is that the GC TDi won't be in showrooms until April or May.

Anybody out there using an '11 or '12 GC as. TV?
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Me: 2012 GC Overland, V8 hemi, 6 speed, all the bells and whistles. Air suspension. It is a great tow vehicle, quiet, comfortable and pleasant to drive. About 11,500 on mine now, probably 8500 towing. Average of 13.5 mpg. My trailer is a 20' Argosy, 4200# actual weight, 700# tongue weight.

Has not been back to the dealer once, everything has always worked perfectly. The WD setup with the air suspension on mine can be a bit confusing and tricky, but once you learn how to do it, all is well.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
I would not tow a 25' Airstream with a Jeep Cherokee. I was towing a Coleman pop-up with my 2004 Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 4.7L high output engine. It had pleanty of power for the load but everytime a 18 wheeler passed me I cound feel the Jeep swaying. The wheelbase of the Jeep is too short to tow a 25' Airstream. I moved up to an 2007 25' Airstream Safari and replaced the Jeep with a 2006 GMC 2500HD Sierra truck and I have to look back to make sure the trailer is there as it rides so nice behind the big wheelbase truck. See if you can rent a Jeep and try towing the 25' and I'm sure you will change your mind.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
I would not tow a 25' Airstream with a Jeep Cherokee. I was towing a Coleman pop-up with my 2004 Jeep Cherokee Overland with the 4.7L high output engine. It had pleanty of power for the load but everytime a 18 wheeler passed me I cound feel the Jeep swaying. The wheelbase of the Jeep is too short to tow a 25' Airstream.
(snip)
Well, I towed the same Argosy 20' mentioned in my post above with my 2001 GC with the same 4.7 L engine with absolutely no problems, and with no sway or push when anything passed me. So, my experience is very different from yours.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't tow my 25' Airstream with a Jeep Cherokee either. The Jeep Cherokee and a 2012/13 Jeep Grand Cherokee are completely different trucks, and wouldn't hesitate to use the new Grand Cherokee. In fact have been dealing on one, trying to get the right price.

My reasons are the 5.7 Hemi has more than enough power, would handle better and be more stable than any pickup (full independent suspension), easier riding for us and the Airstream, costs much less than the diesel pickup and uses less expensive fuel, and it's not a barge to drive around when we get to where we're going. If we had another need for a diesel pickup it may be different, but we don't.

We would actually rather have a Euro-style diesel SUV but the Grand Cherokee is quite a comparative bargain, the fuel savings would take a long time to recoup.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Doug

The 3.6 Litre with the 8 speed transmission will be more than adequate for power and give you better solo mileage. The hemi is a lot of fun though. The tires could be a little better size for towing but I think you will find it works very well with the stock tires.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We just purchased a '12 flying cloud 25 FB which we are towing with a 07 jeep grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi. No problems with the first 250 miles of highway driving. Not one bit of sway on a two lane road meeting semis in a heavy downpour. Using a Reese dual cam WD hitch. In fact it is so steady, I could take my hand off the wheel in semi wash.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote