Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
2013 Grand Cherokee diesel

Lot's of buzz on a 2013 diesel GC. Appears to be the same 3.o TDi engine used in the BMW, Audi, Porsche and VW. Will be built in Michigan...hiring 1100 workers.

Any info?
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Car and Driver had a small mention in the last issue. I asked at a large dealer and they know nothing about it. Although a salesman told me it would most likely be an optional engine. Something in the line of $7300 extra like the Dodge trucks.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We have 3.0L diesel Cherokees in Canada already... they are running the Mercedes mill. I think they killed it a couple years ago, so maybe the successor will be different. I guess they don't have to stick with the Mercedes partnership anymore...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
For the re-birth of the Grand Wagonner in 2014, I read that it was going to be the Fiat 3.0 used in Europe. here is the quote an dlink;
Spyshots: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Facelift - autoevolution

"In the US, the biggest change under the grille is the confirmed arrival of the first diesel - the 3.0-liter turbo V6 that’s sold in the European model. This is sourced from Fiat-owned VM Motori and should offer somewhere around 240 horsepower."

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
What I have read is that the Diesel won't show up until the first quarter of 2013, and they will call it a 2014 model, which is probably why the dealer hasn't heard about it yet... Apparently they were waiting for a new 8 speed transmission to become available.

Here one such link, search google for 2014 grand cherokee diesel for lots of information.

News: 2014? Grand Cherokee CRD (corrected)
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
If this is the same engine as used in Mercedes (I think it is or very similar) then it'll probably make a wonderful tow vehicle based on Airstreamers using the Mercedes GL Blueline models.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

We tow our 1990 29ft Squarestream with an 2010 Merc Sprinter V-6 diesel Passenger Van. Great platform to tow with. Lots of room with two out of three rows of seats removed for cargo, remaining 3 seater row seat for the dogs to sit on behind the cockpit seats. Solo, up to 24.3 mpg, and we got 12.5-15mpg towing. If US car makers want to increase their cafe' ratings, diesel or diesel hybrids are the way to go, not gas hybrids.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've read that the 2014 GC Diesel, to be introduced mid-2013, will have an Italian 3.0 diesel, rated at 407 ft lbs torque (vs the 370 for the Mercedes 3.0 CRD in my 08 GC which is plenty for towing our FC23FB). That, with the 8 speed auto trans and the improvements from 2012 (3" longer, air suspension etc.) should make for a really nice tow vehicle with fine fuel economy. It will likely take me away from my 08 GC CRD.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Im sure itll be like diesel trucks...

The Grand Cherokee itself will be affordable, the diesel engine Grand Cherokee will costs out the hiney! No point in making something fuel efficent if no one can afford it
Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post

The Grand Cherokee itself will be affordable, the diesel engine Grand Cherokee will costs out the hiney! No point in making something fuel efficent if no one can afford it
There is a pretty wide range of "what's affordable" around here. A brand-new 27' A/S and brand-new Mercedes 350 isn't unknown by any means (the relative price equivalent).

Then there are those of us who prefer 3-year old TV's and even older TT's due to calculations about depreciation and the desire to upgrade the TT in some substantive ways ($20k-plus). The TV itself might also be in for $10k of changes by the owner. It is just as hard to tell from this approach what is affordable as it is about more than a monthly note (which some of have not ever had in re TT's, sometimes even TV's).

One might read up on insured values to see where this approach has its "faults", but it is balanced against use (nights aboard).

Plenty of ways to skin the cat as not all of us travel only for recreation.

The diesel GC looks good to me also from this perspective (in a few years).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I see your point but if moneys not that much of an issue, then why not get a real diesel and buy a 3.4 ton? Grand Cherokees arnt known for a cadillac-like ride and 3/4 tons are sure a far fetch from it too. And if theyre gonna cost anything more than $40,000, might as well pay a few bucks more and get a diesel truck. Besides, does anyone know what the payload will be? Might not be feasable to buy one to haul an AS if your gonna max out the payload.

Of course Im speaking mostly from my opinion so I am biased. Not tryin to stir up an argument
Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
I see your point but if moneys not that much of an issue, then why not get a real diesel and buy a 3.4 ton? Grand Cherokees arnt known for a cadillac-like ride and 3/4 tons are sure a far fetch from it too. And if theyre gonna cost anything more than $40,000, might as well pay a few bucks more and get a diesel truck. Besides, does anyone know what the payload will be? Might not be feasable to buy one to haul an AS if your gonna max out the payload.

Of course Im speaking mostly from my opinion so I am biased. Not tryin to stir up an argument
My 'real diesel' 08 Grand Cherokee Overland (Mercedes 3.0 CRD, 7200 lbs tow capacity, 82K miles with 16,570 mi towing) just delivered 16.2 avg mpg towing our 5673 lb. FC23FB from Durango to Great Sand Dunes NP & return, a route that includes Wolf Creek Pass. The GC is a great ride, and once uncoupled, can take on whatever off-road adventure we choose. We've already decided that the 2014 GC Diesel will be our next TV.

Experience-based opinion.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Experience is always better than opinions lol. I actually like the idea of a diesel powered SUV thats not an Excursion, but the only scary part is what the price will be. Did you buy your '08 new?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

We spend six months a year traveling about the country, unhooking our Airstream for weeks or months at a time, and exploring, visiting friends, seeing the sites, and going to the grocery store. I can't imagine anything less convenient and more miserable for these daily driver chores than a 3/4 ton "real diesel" pickup. Not to mention the poor handling characteristics of "real diesels" that I don't enjoy. Nor do we want to end up like so many retirees with "real diesels" going down the road, me and my diesel/trailer combo and Mrs. following in the family sedan. That's why not for me.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
How many family members do you have lol. A crew cab hauls 6 people comfortably lol.

Poor handling characteristics? Arnt GCs notorious for roll-overs?

I can see where you guys are comin from though. Im young and dont have kids or anything along those lines so I dont mind the rough ride, tall ride height, and all around huge-ness of a diesel truck. They have yet to build a diesel half ton in the US so I gotta stick with liking the big 3/4 tons
Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
(snip) Grand Cherokees arnt known for a cadillac-like ride and 3/4 tons are sure a far fetch from it too. (snip)
The GC of 2011 and up are an entire different vehicle from those up to that point. My 2012 is a very nice tow vehicle. And, yes, I had earlier ones and they were capable too, but the new one is vastly better.

Of course that is my opinion, only based on owning 5 of them over the past 19 years and towing countless miles. I am biased by the fact of ownership, so very suspect.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
What kinda gas mileage does the 2008 GC diesel get?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I really liked my 2000 Grand Cherokee, and I drove it into the ground - burned out a bearing at 150k miles. I also very much liked the enthusiast community surrounding it - not unlike the airstream forum - lots of folks to help deal with inevitable problems, walk throughs with pictures for common repairs, etc. And like with Airstreams, folks do a lot of customizations to their Jeeps and many enjoy working on their trucks themselves.

The Jeep community is vastly different than the Mercedes community which I replaced the Jeep with - there are people on the Mercedes forum who truly and passionately believe that an oil change requires a German technician. Not everyone, but almost all of them call it a car, and those of us that like to do our own work are relatively few and far between.

One thing to watch when the Diesel Jeep gets priced - especially in limited or higher trims, the Grand Cherokee can start to get pricey. They will probably also decide to charge a premium on top of this for the diesel motor.

On the Mercedes GL side, the truck with the Diesel motor is actually less expensive than either of the two gasoline options - so I can picture a scenario where the two vehicles are not priced that differently when configured with Diesel engines.

If the pricing ends up within $10k, the Mercedes GL is the easy winner. I loved my Grand Cherokee, but the GL is in a whole different league. And depreciation will be far less.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
El Camino,
No, I bought the Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel in 08 as a dealer demo (used by the dealership owner's wife) with 3500 miles. It was a fully loaded model. I was very happy with the price, negotiated an extended warranty, and have been happy ever after.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:

Our 2012 Ram diesel truck (YMMV) is anything but fuel efficient ... wasn't cheap either. It is a great ride, however! We looked at the ML series and decided - for the money - that the utility of the truck was hard to beat ... wife's daily driver is a Jeep which is wonderful around here in the snowy winters ... but somehow, I manage around town with the 3/4 crew... just LOL ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote