Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^ Is the gas version of your truck is more fuel efficent than the diesel version?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I drive and tow with a Dodge diesel 3500 4x4. Yess it's a BIG truck but no bigger than any other full size PU. I'm retired and it's my daily driver also. I have no trouble with all but the tightest places and enjoy the way it tows my 30'er with little effort. I'm sure there will come a time when I will change my opinion on this subject but for the time being I like my truck and it does to nicely. And my fuel economy is not bad either.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba

The GC of 2011 and up are an entire different vehicle from those up to that point. My 2012 is a very nice tow vehicle. And, yes, I had earlier ones and they were capable too, but the new one is vastly better.

Of course that is my opinion, only based on owning 5 of them over the past 19 years and towing countless miles. I am biased by the fact of ownership, so very suspect.
Same. I'm on my 6th. It's a Jeep thing. It's just how we roll. Jim
Old 09-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
^^ Is the gas version of your truck is more fuel efficent than the diesel version?
Don't know ... if you go by what is printed and read the reviews, the gas does muuuuch better than the Ram diesel for fuel economy than the newest hog-tied / environmentally controlled diesel ... which in its former iterations was touted as less polluting than the gas variants.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I ordered a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit yesterday with the 6 speed auto, 5.7 Hemi and the off road suspension package. Hemi is rated at 390 ft lbs of torque, 360 HP and has the fuel saver technology. GC will have a 3.0 TDi diesel that can be ordered in late December and will be on the floor in April or May. Allocations will be limited and there will be a hefty price tag. The tow rating on the GC I ordered is 7200 pounds. My Safari 25 FB weighs 6240.

The dealer did have an SRT with the BIG hemi, but tow rating was only 6000!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
GC sounds like it will be a respectable TV and I will watch to see how the diesel performs when it comes time to retire my Touareg V10 diesel. But Dennis, just curious, we have the same trailer and mine ways in at around 7200 lbs loaded for travel, but empty tanks. How does yours weigh in at a thousand pounds less?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
GC sounds like it will be a respectable TV and I will watch to see how the diesel performs when it comes time to retire my Touareg V10 diesel. But Dennis, just curious, we have the same trailer and mine ways in at around 7200 lbs loaded for travel, but empty tanks. How does yours weigh in at a thousand pounds less?
When we first got our trailer, my wife had table service for six and enough cook ware to cater a small gathering! Last year we took everything out of the trailer and if it hadn't been used in the past year, it didn't go back in. There are two place settings, paper plates, one pot and one frying pan. Instead of regular bedding, we have fitted sheets and comforters. No books....iPads. We used to keep lots of food...no more. A lot of dry goods are put into plastic containers to save sace and weight. We use 64 ounce containers frozem with drinking water in Coleman stainless steel coolers. As the water melts, we drink it. Also keep the coolers in the TV. The trailer was unhooked and weighed on the truck scale at Sandco on Trimble Lane.

According to the 2006 Safari owners manual, the 25 FB weighs 5210 empty. Put in 39 gallons of fresh water at 8.5 pounds equals 332 pounds. Next time you have your rig hooked up, run it over the scale at Basin Co-op. You might be surprised.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Don't know ... if you go by what is printed and read the reviews, the gas does muuuuch better than the Ram diesel for fuel economy than the newest hog-tied / environmentally controlled diesel ... which in its former iterations was touted as less polluting than the gas variants.
That's seems to me to be an engineering problem; the Ford diesels are doing better than their gas motors from what I understand. Fuel efficiency and environmental constraints are part of the cost of doing business; balancing those objectives takes work and innovation.

It would be simpler if we lived on an infinite planet - but we don't, so constraints are a fact of life.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
From what I read, the 6.7 and 5.7 powered 2500s get nearly identical mpgs. Difference? About 260 ft lbs of torque... if you can pay for it lol.

As for the 3.0L diesel we are discussing: I read an article on it in Diesel Power Mag and its a tride and true BRUTE of an engine! They built this engine to last a lifetime, no doubt. Its impossible to turn a bearing, and instead of main caps, its got a whole solid piece that bolts onto the bottom end of this thing with massive bolts. Its strong as hael! Now Im thinkin about researching buying one
Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I ordered a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit yesterday with the 6 speed auto, 5.7 Hemi and the off road suspension package. Hemi is rated at 390 ft lbs of torque, 360 HP and has the fuel saver technology.
I just got the Dodge Durango version of that vehicle. I've only towed a few miles to set up the hitch, but since I live at the top of a two and half mile long hill, I've already seen that that engine has some torque.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote