Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #1

Fox Point , Wisconsin
2012 Acura MDX as TV

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and note the heated discussions regarding TVs. I currently have a 2012 MDX with factory tow package (5000 max). We are contemplating a TT for our family - me, wife and two small girls under 5. We would use it for short weekend trips mostly within 500 miles of Milwaukee. Specifically looking at 22FB Sport or 19 Flying Cloud etc. Will the MDX handle the load?

I don't want to upgrade the TV because that will put this dream out of reach and I would rather make the memories now as opposed to waiting. Thx.
mark3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
mark3rs, Welcome to the forums!
I just traded my MDX... never towed anything with it b/c i have an excursion in the driveway.
I think it is doable with the right setup and a smaller AS. You will want to pay attention to both tongue weight limits and GCVW numbers. Some of the weight of the airstream can be transferred/ evenly distributed among the axles via a weight distribution hitch to increase both capacity and stability. The hitch setup can also help. Hensley Arrow (HAHA) and Pro Pride (PPP) are at the top end of the scale, but something like a Reece dual cam may be fine depending on your particular configuration.
Andy T at Can-am RV (also here on the forums) has done some interesting setups on smaller or non-conventional tow vehicles.
The most important thing is to do your research on the setup/ configuration and be safe! An akward setup doesn't make for a relaxing trip!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

Fox Point , Wisconsin
Question

Thx for the thoughts. Interestingly, my manual says weight distribution hitch is not recommended -

Weight Distributing Hitch
A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.

I find this curious as it does not address a properly adjusted WD hitch. I think it would go without saying that many things on the vehicle would not be recommended if improperly adjusted...

Here are the weights from the manual - seems I am limited by the measures you note. The kids weigh more like 35lbs - even assuming growth both will be under 75lbs for a few years.

Total Trailer Weight and Tongue Load Limits:

Number of

Occupants -----------Maximum Total Trailer Weight------------Maximum Tongue Loadᤳᤳ

2 ---------------------5,000 lbs (2,268 kg) ----------------------500 lbs (227 kg)

3----------------------4,751 lbs (2,155 kg)-----------------------470 lbs (213 kg)

4----------------------4,500 lbs (2,041 kg)-----------------------370 lbs (168 kg)

5----------------------4,250 lbs (1,928 kg)-----------------------276 lbs (125 kg)

6----------------------3,999 lbs (1,814 kg)-----------------------50 lbs (68 kg)

7----------------------Towing is Not Recommended

*The corresponding weight limits assume occupants fill seats from the front of the vehicle to the back, each occupant weighs 150 lbs (68 kg), and each has 15 lbs (7 kg) of cargo in the cargo area. Any additional weight, including cargo or accessories, reduces the maximum trailer weight and maximum tongue load. Never exceed the gross axle weight ratings (see page 487).

** Recommended tongue load should be 5 15% of the total trailer weight for boat trailers, and 815% of the total trailer weight for all other trailers.

GVWR =The maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, all occupants, all accessories, all cargo and the tongue load is 5,952 lbs (2,700 kg).

GAWR = The maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, all occupants, all accessories, all cargo, and the tongue load must not exceed 2,888 lbs (1,310 kg) on the front axle, and 3,175 lbs (1,440 kg) on the rear axle.

GCWR = The maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded vehicle and trailer is 10,053 lbs (4,560 kg) with the proper hitch. The GCWR must be reduced 2 percent for every 1,000 feet (305 meters) of elevation.

mark3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Now that you mention it, i remember the wd comment in the manual to my MDX as well. I suppose it has something to do with the traction control/awd system.
You would still want to make sure you have sway control with your setup.
This might be an interesting read:
http://www.canamrv.ca/hitch-hints/
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Actually I believe the main reason weight distribution is not recommended is because in Europe they must use surge brakes and if a weight distribution hitch isn't setup perfectly it will interfere with the surge brakes and with some weight distribution hitches it's not possible at all to not interfere with surge brakes.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mark3rs

Welcome to the forums. Acura makes a great vehicle. I have had 3 of them. I agree with you. Find an Airstream that will work with your TV and get your family camping.

I would talk to Andy T. about what Airstream he would recommend for your TV. After you get your airstream, I would take it to Andy and let him set your wd hitch up. For the safety aspects and the ability to tow easily, it would be well worth whatever hoops you need to jump through to put yourself in Andy's care.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Maybe this might answer your question? 34' to a ford edge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2250555232.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	174874  
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Welcome!! Call Andy!! A friend of mine tows a 34' with his Ford Edge! Good luck and go for it!!! Oh, and get a Hensley, you won't be disappointed!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I wonder why someone hasn't opened a business in the states to give Andrew T some competition. It's sad people have to go to Canada for this type of work. I'm sure they do a great job, but one specialty shop in a all of North America. I would think Texas or California would be a good opportunity for a new business. This type of setup seems to becoming very popular and may be worth it as an investment. Just sayin.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote