Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
2011 Tundra Double Cab TV mpg

Had to make a 400 mile round trip today without the Airstream so I thought it would be a good chance to check actual highway mileage.

20 mpg with less than 30 miles of the trip in city driving. So given that we bought this 5.7 L V8 for mostly towing and the occasional road trip, I'm pretty happy. And it rides great as well.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited, with 5.7L -- Just got back from a 1,750 mile roadtrip without our Bambi. 17.8 mpg mostly on Interstates at 70-75 mph, with a little city driving; Phoenix to LA (Disneyland), then to San Francisco and back. OMG, can't believe downtown LA traffic. Where are all of those people going, 24/7?

Last year, we got 23.5 mpg on a weekend trip from Phoenix to Tucson, roundtrip, without our Bambi. Drove at 65 mph on cruise all the way to save fuel (no passing). Very flat. Same trip with 19-foot Bambi is about 16.5 mpg (at 60 mph).

Earlier this summer, we towed our Bambi from Phoenix to Denver, roundtrip. All Interstate driving at 70 mph; 13.5 mpg. Usually, we don't drive this fast when towing; but we were headed to a funeral and needed to get there fast. Also, we recently switched to 225/75x16 Michelin XPS Ribs on new 16-inch wheels. I would not have driven this fast on our old Marathons or Maxxis tires due to fear of blowouts, but we no longer worry about tire failures.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Phoenix, We have the 2008 Sequoia, I get 11 to 13 mpg towing my 28 footer but we live in the mountains at altitude. I drove through LA two summers ago. CRAZY. glad I lived in NYC for 3 years. Had to resort back to what I learned there. LA drivers didn't know what hit them.

It's kinda fun to watch someones face in a new BMW when you put the front of your TV in a four foot space they are leaving between them and the car in front of them to keep you out. Plus there was 28 feet behind me.

NYC has one rule. ( Just watch the front of your car, Let the other guy worry about the back)
i get about 19-20 mpg on the highway without the trailer. 16-17 mpg driving around..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
One quick side comment: In California, motorcycle riders are crazy driving on the white stripes between lanes. On the freeway in downtown LA, a herd of about 20-25 cycles passed us on both sides going about 65 when we were in slow traffic going about 30-35 mph. When they are driving on the lines in the leftover space between adjacent lanes on the highway, they are only a foot or two from scraping down the sides of cars on either side. I was afraid one of them was going to hit one of our tow mirrors, then the 5-10 others in a tight line behind him were going to plow into the downed cycle.

I guess that's legal in California. I just hope they don't allow that in Arizona, which is usually a fast follower on California laws and trends.

By the way, we love our Tundra. It's a limo compared to "Hal", our old 1978 Chevy crewcab with 454 V8. Plus, the fuel savings is enormous compared to Hal's 4.5-7.0 mpg on premium. The trip to Denver costs us over twice as much in fuel with Hal (Tundra+Bambi = 13.5 mpg on regular, versus Hal+Bambi = 6.0 mpg on premium).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote