Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2011 34' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have the suburban now, getting OEM camper mirrors installed tomorrow. Picking up the trailer next week.

Went with the ProPride hitch. I'm optimistic about the whole setup; I think the only real challenge will be pulling power up steep hills at highway speeds.

2011 Classic Limited 34 #25
2011 Suburban 2500
ProPride 3P
solobaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2011 34' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona

Thanks to all who posted for the advice & perspective. I drove from Scottsdale to Los Banos, CA and picked up our trailer. The dealership installed the ProPride hitch. Took them about 5 hours to install it but the real "hitch" was that I drove off the lot with no trailer brakes!
I determined this quickly (down the street) and returned to get to the bottom of it. Well, after about 30 minutes of head scratching and checking fuses, etc . . . Turns out the electrical extension that ProPride sent was faulty. Once the OEM electrical plug from the trailer was plugged in by itself, everything was fine.

I have since towed 1,000 miles with this setup. My initial impressions were/are that the 3P hitch works well. With my TV/TT combo; I can tell that I'm towing something but I am actually surprised at how well the TV manages the TT. The best way I can describe the hitch behavior is that when I encounter semis, etc. I don't get sway. Rather, both vehicles get pushed on a little but they follow the same path.

I'm just now getting my integrated brake controller dialed in at about 7.0 gain. When I was at 5.0-5.5, I had a little issue . . . I was heading west on CA highway 46 toward 101 and on a downgrade curve, the rear end of my TV got pushed around quite a bit when I would brake the TV pedal. I tried applying the TT brakes on their own but it didn't help much. After increasing the gain on the trailer brake controller, it seems to be much better.

The only adjustments needed regarding the ProPride:
My setup requires a hitchbar with more offset. With the current max offset (about 8 inches) the trailer is a touch nose high with only about 5.5-6.0" of jack height. So I get a little front end bobbing with the TV. Also, my driver side jack is leaning about 15-20 degrees when I jack it more than about 4.5-5.0". Pretty sure that with a new hitchbar and 6-7" of jack height, I should be sitting pretty. Definitely going to hit the scales for final adjustments.

As far as the Suburban, I am impressed. I think the engine/tranny/rear end are well matched. While I haven't encountered any extreme grades, so far it drops to 3rd gear on susbtantial hills (~6-7%) and pulls nicely at about 50 MPH. The setup brakes very well too, I actually think my low to med speed braking is better with the trailer connected. I'll get all the brakes checked in another 1000 miles or so to assess the situation.

2011 Classic Limited 34 #25
2011 Suburban 2500
ProPride 3P
solobaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
You've a great setup as shown in the signature line.

A pile of scale tickets (over time) isn't just some CYA, but knowledge of how different loads work for best hitch rigging. Plus, both vehicles tend to gain weight, so the willingness to keep checking the numbers lends credence to intuitive or sensitive feelings about how the rig is handling.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
The guys at "Los Banos" seem to be better informed then their sister shop" in "Irvine". Sounds like you got a Great Rig - can't wait to see some pictures!!!!

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote