Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Hampstead , New Hampshire
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee TV

Hello to all,

Just finished up taking a small trip with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the new V6 motor and was quite pleased with the performance of the rig. I was towing my 2009 Flying Cloud Bambi. Installed the brake controller in the Jeep that I had used in my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and also used the Reese WD setup. Compared to the truck, you do know the trailer is back there, but this Jeep rig towed down the highway with good vigor. Mileage on the 250 mile trip with 60 miles of town driving (without the trailer) was in the high 14s. Pulling into traffic, you did need to mash the accelerator, but it would get up to speed in a very reasonable amount of time. Handling in traffic was also good. What was interesting was the Jeep has the new air suspension system (QuadraLift) and I did not need to raise or lower the Reese hitch setup as the Jeep's rear levels out the two units. Later, I learned that the towing setup on even the regular units does this also as part of the package. Maximum tow capacity on the V6 is 5,000 lbs and my AS is 4,500 fully loaded. In fairness, I had no fresh water on board or either the black or grey water tanks were full. IMHO, Jeep got this new buggy right and I would certainly recommend that anyone looking for a TV give them a try. The Hemi or V8 engine is supposed to be able to pull in the 6,200 plus range.
One other thing, used the McKesh mirrors on this and was very pleased with their visibility.
Rando

Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Clarksville , Tennessee
Thanks for the report! Good to hear about the new jeep. I'm using a 2008 wk and have had success with it also. I really enjoy the jeep-AS combination, and have been all over the east coast and Midwest with it. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Cape Coral , Florida
Brake Controller Installation on new GC Help Needed

Rando - Can you please provide guidance/pictures on the brake controller installation. Was your Jeep GC actory equipped with the brake controller wiring harness or did you have to splice into the brake system wiring. All three of my previous tow vehicles had the brake controller wires tucked up under the dash, I can't seem to find them in the Jeep GC. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rando,

Please be aware that air suspension and automatic level control does not negate nor compensate for proper WD hitch setup.

Please check your owner's manual and perhaps call Jeep. Just because the system "levels out" the rig doesn't mean you have weight distributed properly. It's REALLY easy to overload the rear axle and under load the front with these systems.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Hampstead , New Hampshire
April2 & dznf0g,

I had one of local RV dealers install the brake controller. As the 2011 JGC is new, there was not a plug and play option that we could find (or I would probably done it myself). Under the dash close to the steering column is a receptacle that is probably meant for a plug in from the brake controller, however, my installer just wired it up to the appropriate wires and it works like the one of my prior TV (Dodge RAM 1500).
This same trailer seller/installer looked at my setup, made several measurements and agreed that no changes on the height of the WD hitch setup needed to be made. I seem to recall that the hitch setup was dropped quite a bit for the truck, so probably why the Jeep was not that far off or as the RV technician/manager said, you could not improve on the raise or lowering of the hitch.
Hope the above helps
Rando
Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
April2 & dznf0g,

I had one of local RV dealers install the brake controller. As the 2011 JGC is new, there was not a plug and play option that we could find (or I would probably done it myself). Under the dash close to the steering column is a receptacle that is probably meant for a plug in from the brake controller, however, my installer just wired it up to the appropriate wires and it works like the one of my prior TV (Dodge RAM 1500).
This same trailer seller/installer looked at my setup, made several measurements and agreed that no changes on the height of the WD hitch setup needed to be made. I seem to recall that the hitch setup was dropped quite a bit for the truck, so probably why the Jeep was not that far off or as the RV technician/manager said, you could not improve on the raise or lowering of the hitch.
Hope the above helps
Rando
As with any other vehicle setup.....run the scales as loaded for travel. Just be aware that level controls can and will deceive you. They're tricky that way.