Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Redding , California
2011 Grand Cherokee as a TV

New to this. Hope I am posting in right forum. Just took delivery on 2011 Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 hemi v8. Ordered class 4 trailer towing package. Wife and I want an airstream. We think a 23 ft cloud is largest we can tow. Looking for advice. What do you think. In short help! New to all of this. We live in California and are looking for reputble Airstream dealer...

Michael7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Natchitoches , Louisiana
I have a 2008 Safari 23 and tow with a Ford F250 SuperDuty 4wd Crew. We have been thinking about the 2011 Jeep Grand as a tow vehicle, but I have not driven one. I did sit in a 2011 Ford Expedition EL and those cars are NICE. Going to drive the Grand Cherokee this week.

jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
The Grand shares its platform with the ML Mercedes SUV so it is completely different than the more primative older jeeps. It has 4 wheel independent suspension more precise steering and a much stronger body structure. We have set up a large number of Mercedes SUV's on this chassis so it is pretty well proven for us.

I have towed short distances with both the V/6 and the Hemi versions of the Grand. The V/6 was only towing a 16 CCD which was not much of a challenge for it and I don't see it having any issues with up to a 23'. It is a higher RPM motor so you need to wind it up a little to get power out of it but it cruises on the level at relatively low rpm levels. With a wide body I would go to a slightly lower profile tire so it would hold fourth gear with a little more reserve when towing. If serious off road use is not a concern for you then I would look at the Flex, Edge or Enclave instead as they have 6 speed transmissions with their V6 so they perform better and likely deliver better fuel economy.

The Hemi I drove is towing a 30' Classic the Hemi has an abundance of power so this is not an issue at all. This customer does not care for a Hensley so we set up a welded ball mount to minimize rear overhang and their Jeep had the 20" wheels with lower profile tires so there was not a great deal of tire sway in it. A 245 tire would handle a little better than the stock 265's but they are very pleased with it as is. This customer has towed Airstreams for many years and is able to fine tune the torsion bars with the Air Suspension. Normally I would like to see a Hensley on this combination.

I did not drive either of these far enough to get any ideas of fuel mileage.

Jeep does put a much stronger hitch receiver on than Mercedes does. We did not try it in its stock configuration, we did reinforce it in both cases.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote