Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Evergreen , Colorado
2011 Grand Cherokee - anyone tow and AS yet?

Just wondering if anyone picked up a new 2011 Grand Cherokee (either v6 or especially v8) and if they have towed a trailer with it yet? What's the verdict? With 7400lb towing capacity and serious off road capability, I'm trying to decide between this and a slightly used Touareg.

Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I towed my Argosy Minuet with a 2011 Grand Cherokee V8. Can't really complain about it. Quiet, handled well, good power. The V6 works hard when towing, much more than the Hemi. Comfortable seats, nice interior, annoying complicated touchscreen radio. Brake controller is plug-and-play with the tow package.

Keep in mind that you need to buy all the options (Quadradrive II, an off-road package, and the optional air suspension) to max out the off-road capabilities. That stuff isn't standard. Also watch the payload numbers to make sure they can carry the tongue weight and your passenger/cargo load.

If the off-road capability isn't a big deal and you want more room inside, the new Dodge Durango will be basically the same platform.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I drove one at a Jeep event off-road course recently. Fully outfitted with all the options. What a sweet vehicle! It's really a luxury SUV now. That one's msrp well was well north of $50K. Didn't get to tow with it. I did get to talk to the Earthbound RV rep who was towing their 5,000lb 25 footer all over the country for demo events. He had the V-8 Grand Cherokee and said it was doing great. He was impressed with it's performance in mountains and how stable the whole rig was in windy conditions.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote