Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For many years, empty meant you could could 20 or 30 miles. In the late '80's, I borrowed my father's '85 Toronado to make a trip to Key West when we were visiting my parents. This car had a fuel gauge with bars—each bar seemed to represent one gallon. When it was getting low when we returned, I assured my wife, we had nothing to worry about as we could probably get back to Miami where gas was cheaper. When the last bar disappeared, the car stopped. We had a nice walk to a gas station.

In recent years it's been made difficult to top off a tank and the cool electronic stuff that tells you miles per gallon (always higher than reality) and how much fuel you have left are poorly calibrated. On our Tundra, first a light comes on at around 1/8 tank. Before the needle reaches "E", the miles left readout says "0". I have driven 20 or 30 miles after "E" and the tank had 2 1/2 to 3 gallons left. At "E" it can be as much as 5 gal. left.

Perhaps they are protecting us from ourselves so we won't run out of fuel. Maybe they are afraid we will suck dirt from the bottom of the tank into the engine. I have been told it is hard to fill up all the way so as not to flood a filter.

As much as I know none of the warnings are correct, I drive along wondering if they suddenly became correct?

Gene

Old 01-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
My 3500 GMC Duramax has a 34 gallon tank. The DIC is reliable to the extent that it's always 10% off! If it says I'm getting 21 mpg, the true mpg is closer to 19 mpg. If it says I've consumed 25 gallons, it'll take 28 to fill it. With that in mind, I always subtract 10% from whatever miles it says I can run until empty. I keep written records of all fill-ups and periodically I do the math as a check. I've often wondered if a good computer Geek could "tweak" the onboard computer - but I've gotten so used to the dependable 10% error it probably wouldn't be worth it.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Perhaps they are protecting us from ourselves so we won't run out of fuel. Maybe they are afraid we will suck dirt from the bottom of the tank into the engine. I have been told it is hard to fill up all the way so as not to flood a filter.

As much as I know none of the warnings are correct, I drive along wondering if they suddenly became correct?

Gene
On pretty much any modern vehicle with a fuel-injected gasoline engine, they don't want you to run with the tank near empty because the fuel pump in the tank depends on fuel for its cooling. The more you run the tank near empty, the shorter the life of that pump is likely to be.

I have no idea if modern diesel trucks have a booster pump in the tank, and I'd hope if they do it's a sturdier design than the ones for gasoline systems.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cracker, ours is off in different directions. It says mileage is about 2 mpg more than reality, but then tells us there's less gas in tank than there is. The computer doesn't even agree with itself.

DKB', I now remember reading about gas cooling the pump—couldn't they design it better? The result is my already inadequate 26.3 gal. tank is more like a 21 gal. tank, maybe less because it's so hard to fill—the back pressure shut off on the gas pumps is set to be more sensitive than it used to be.

Gene
Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
The digital fuel display on my Transfer Flow tank, which measures the fuel in both my standard tank and the additional 50 gallon tank, is amazingly accurate, as in within a gallon or so. Much more reliable than the onboard fuel gauge.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
If you want a digital display that you can "trust", consider buying a ScanGauge. This device provides multiple digital "gauge" readouts and allows you to "dial-in" the fuel consumption function.

For our diesel-powered Jetta, I have the device dialed-in to a consistent accuracy of 0.2 gallons for a 15 or 16 gallon fill-up. It's easier to obtain this level of accuracy with diesel-fueled vehicles as fuel expansion is not as big a deal and I can manually vent the fuel system to obtain consistent fill-ups.

For our gasoline-powered motorhome, I cannot dial-in the settings any closer than a 2-gallon accuracy for a 55 gallon fill-up, which is less than a 4% inaccuracy.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote