Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Long Bed versus Short Bed and other updates

Nice to see all the comments since I started this post a while back. We now have over 9,000 miles on our 2011 Ford F250 Diesel with zero issues.

We upgraded our AS to a larger 2010 Flying Cloud 30 last July so we are now towing around 10,000 pounds. From huge mountain grades to very strong crosswinds this truck is amazing. We pass cars going up major grades with our AS in tow!

Downhill the difference between the '10 and '11 is pretty remarkable. The speed holding downhill is even better whether towing or not.

I had originally chosen a long bed crew cab. My dealer talked me out of it and I'm very glad he did. Parking without trailer can be a real issue for long beds and personally I've never needed the extra space. If you really need a ton of space go for the long bed and F350. Most of us though will likely benefit from the F250 crew cab shorty.

Now I'm looking at replacing the stock 28 gallon tank with a Titan 50 gallon tank. Anyone been down that road? Does it void the warranty since Ford dealers won't install it (not that I can find anyway)?

Happy New Year!
Bill & Sheri Dettman
2010 Flying Cloud 30
2011 Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab Short Bed
ShinyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
You can check out forums like The Diesel Stop which have a section on the new superduty. They have quite a few postings on the upgraded tank.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #43
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpills View Post
You can check out forums like The Diesel Stop which have a section on the new superduty. They have quite a few postings on the upgraded tank.
Yes, from what i gather everyone is going with a Titan brand tank. Close to 1200.00 dollars , though. It's a 50 gallon tank.

I love my Superduty. 400HP and 800lbs of tourque is hard to beat.

The ride is unsurpassed and the quality is un believable.

FORD hit a homerun with this truck and they new Diesel engine!!!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #44
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
If your starting oh wise one ,..please educate us all on other negativities,please.
Shane
Some have unlimited time to troll threads and tell people that are completely happy with their decision how they made a mistake. A sure sign they aren't spending enough time camping.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We put in a 50 gallon tank in our short bed, giving us a total of 80 gallons. What a joy - except when you go to fill up - ouch.

Sometimes I miss the real estate I had to give up, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I've noticed that the fuel gauge seems to be way too conservative. My guage said I only had 10 miles left to empty and when I filled it, it still had 5 gallons to go. Anybody else have similar experiences. I wonder if there is a way to recalibrate.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #47
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
5 gallon reserve is what I've seen mentioned in thedieselstop forum. Seems a little too much. I've found myself using the dash screen that shows gallons used.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpills View Post

Great folks (just like here) over at the "Diesel Stop" - we drink lots of "Ford Flavored Kool Aid" over there and I love it...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #49
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy

Nice looking truck. Is the 10 mpg towing or solo? I assume this is the 6.4 engine.

BTW - you may want to check the spelling in your signature.......
Thank you. It is towing. When I don't tow it's about 9.5 mpg. That truck is made to tow. Love the diesel breaks. Helps with slowing down. I will fix the signature. Lol thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #50
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
18,000 miles of pure bliss here. Best decision i made in awhile... Well besides my airstream, of course.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #51
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Latest outing with just 1,500 miles on the Superduty, we got 14mpg. While it was not in the mountains, it wasn't on flat ground either. It was a short trip, just 89 miles with the following profile:
Average grade = 2
Climbing distance equaled descending distance
Climbing elevation = 4,795 ft
Descending elevation = 5,370 ft

Don't be deceived by the Average grade. I have calculated the route from Port Jervis, NY to Jackson, OH (we are going to Alumapalooza) to be only grade 3. That is not bad considering we will be crossing the Appalachian Mountains.

Wayne

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Speed really plays a factor with these trucks and mileage - it's that big sexy brick of a front end...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #53
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I've always thought I had freed myself from the influence of commercial design, looked past it to examine the utilitarian aspects of a vehicle. But, damn, it is has a big truck look.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I've noticed that the fuel gauge seems to be way too conservative. My guage said I only had 10 miles left to empty and when I filled it, it still had 5 gallons to go. Anybody else have similar experiences. I wonder if there is a way to recalibrate.
I don't know the new Fords, yet, but I have been running a couple of Land Rover diesels down here for several years now. From what I have heard and read, running a fuel line dry on a diesel is quite a pain in the posterior. It's not as simple as just filling the tank, starting her up and moving on. Perhaps the 5 gallon, unadvertised, reserve is a way for Ford to try to keep you from getting mad at them for what happens if you run completely out of fuel....
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #55

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I don't know the new Fords, yet, but I have been running a couple of Land Rover diesels down here for several years now. From what I have heard and read, running a fuel line dry on a diesel is quite a pain in the posterior. It's not as simple as just filling the tank, starting her up and moving on. Perhaps the 5 gallon, unadvertised, reserve is a way for Ford to try to keep you from getting mad at them for what happens if you run completely out of fuel....
I think it's more likely to just be a Ford tendency. In general it's a bad idea to run a tank nearly dry... for gasoline engines, there's an electric fuel pump in the tank that's designed to be cooled by the fuel in the tank and frequently running the tank very low will shorten the life of this pump. In diesels it can be a pain to get air out of the system once you've introduced it.

My F150 with a nominal 30 gallon tank has nearly 9 gallons in the system when the low fuel light first comes on. I didn't check the info center to see how many miles it thought it still had to empty.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #56
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
My Nissan's, Toyota's, Ford's, and Chevy's have all had at least a couple gallons left on E, even reading 0 miles to empty. My 2010 Jeep Wrangler with a 19 gallon tank reads empty with 4 gallons in the tank! (20%). The Duramax has a bleeder valve and prime procedure similar to the Fords (or at least they did, don't know about the Cummins).
Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #57
one of those

2011 27 FB International
yeah, I know it's a priming procedure. Would your wife automatically know about that if they ever ran the diesel completely dry, and then managed to get a few gallons into it somehow (good samaritan, walking to a gas station for a can, etc) ? They never had to do that when they ran out of gasoline...
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #58
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The 2011 Ford Diesel's have automatic priming now (I'm sure the others do also) and we spent a good hour going over all the relevant owner's manual sections on emergency's. My wife is a lot smarter than you're giving her credit for.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #59
one of those

2011 27 FB International
That's good to hear. I have been living outside the USA for six years, and the diesels I am familiar with require you to raise the 'bonnet' and get greasy. I am looking at TVs and still flipping back and forth between gas and diesel. So you're saying she doesn't need to know about the fuel line air lock because it's automatic now. Great!

That's a good approach, though. I doubt I ever had to go over an owners manual with my wife for five minutes total in my life. That must be some manual to take an hour just for the emergency parts.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #60
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The Diesel Supplement manual says;

Quote:
Do not run your diesel vehicle out of fuel as this will allow air to enter the fuel system which will make restarting difficult. Longer engine cranking time may be required once air is in the fuel system. If air enters the fuel system (either through running the fuel tank(s) empty or during a fuel filter change), the engine will self-purge the trapped air once it starts running. The engine may run roughly and produce white smoke while air is in the fuel system; this is normal and should stop after a short time.

Air purge procedure
Turn the key on for 30 seconds, then turn off. Repeat the procedure six times.
Haven't had to test this yet. I'm usually the one that is lost, with a flat tire, out of fuel, or crashed and totaled the vehicle. I also know where the fuel pump automatic shut-off switch is in case of "substantial jolt".