Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #113
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I agree 100% about idling modern diesels. But, I do let the diesel 'warm up and cool down a little more than I do my much smaller gasoline engines. I am particularly careful to avoid situations where I don't run it long enough to bring the engine up to full operating temp and maintain it for at least half an hour if I am going to shut it down and let it sit for a few days.

This is probably a hold over from my time owning sailboats with diesel auxiliary engines. I was taught that running the engine just long enough to get into or out of the slip was very hard on the diesel since the moisture generated never gets completely boiled off and remains in the oil. Analyzing the oil for water and other contaminents is common in the marine industry.

Only five more weeks until we head south, hooray

Take care
Wayne

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would even say that's no longer necessary. The warm up and cool down periods were primarily to ensure oil to turbo bearings at startup and to cool down the extremely hot turbo bearings so no cooking and coking of the oil occurs. Both resulting in premature turbo failures. Most if not all (check your own) of the turbo center sections are now water cooled and never see those extreme temperatures. Also, modern oils are both, much better cold flowing and heat resistant, especially the synthetic diesel formulations.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #115
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
dznf0g, I agree. In fact there's probably way to much idling going on with these modern diesels. The Ford Diesel Supplement manual the truck comes with warns against long idling for warm up (it won't in cold weather). BUT, it does have one exception. The diesel supplement does state that after extended high speed, high ambient temperature or high GVW/GCW tow/haul operation you should let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes to let the turbocharger and engine return to normal operating temps before shutting down.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell
dznf0g, I agree. In fact there's probably way to much idling going on with these modern diesels. The Ford Diesel Supplement manual the truck comes with warns against long idling for warm up (it won't in cold weather). BUT, it does have one exception. The diesel supplement does state that after extended high speed, high ambient temperature or high GVW/GCW tow/haul operation you should let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes to let the turbocharger and engine return to normal operating temps before shutting down.
I would definitely agree if your going from 60mph to 0mph and shutting it off right away. But MOST of us, MOST of the time have a period of time where we are low speed driving, easy throttle, stop lights, etc. to get to our destination. That is plenty of time to cool all the real hot stuff. Just use common sense.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #117
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Thanks for the input.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #118
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a diesel truck and I agree, mostly, with what I have been reading. Generally when driving I find that there is enough low speed operation prior to shutdown to allow the engine/ turbo/ trans to come to operating temps. So under these conditions allowing it to idle in unnecessary and simply a waste of fuel. I will offer my suggestion here that when operating at highway speed and you pull off into a rest area for a pit stop there has not been that extended low speed operation and here ( and here only) I would let it idle for perhaps only an extra couple of minutes to give some time to cool down.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
OK, I have an '06 F250, you guys have me very tempted in looking at a new model.
Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Waldorf , Maryland
Going to order mine tomorrow..2012 F250 gas King Ranch 4x4 crew cab short bed, 3.7 locking rear end. Black

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702
AIR #60387
"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote