Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member
 
dstalzer's Avatar
 
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
We've got the standard tank and have had no problems. We are just now two months into our Alaska adventure. Fuel is readily available everywhere. Our rule is to fill up whenever we have less than 1/2 tank. We carry 10 gallons in two containers in the bed and have not had to touch them yet. Then, once we reached scenic country, we don't usually do more than 120 - 150 miles per day. That means less than half a tank per day (getting 13+mpg in the mountains).

Happy Airstreaming everyone.

Wayne and Sarah
Wayne and Sarah,

It looks like you are having a great trip. We are planning a similar trip in a couple years when we get retired. We have a 2007 F250SD and are looking to get a new 2011 or 2012.

What axle ratio does your truck have?

Dennis
__________________

__________________
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #100
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
May I ask what the consumption rate is for the DEF / urea as required by EPA? How does that skew the cost per mile. We got differing "facts" when we considered both the Ford and GM diesels.
__________________

__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #101
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Design intent for GM was to have the need for a DEF refill at the time of an engine oil change. For most of us "road warriors" that rule of thumb should apply. (This is utilizing the on-board oil life monitor as the oil change interval indicator). If you use an arbitrary number, such as 3000 miles as an oil change interval, you could only fill DEF every other oil change.

Some work applications could change this scenario...such as snow plowing, PTO use, high idle times, etc.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Spencer , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 22
thanks for the info! me and my husband can't agree i want a ford 350tdiesel and he wants a chevy 3500 gas. this has been going on for awhile now. we have a c-11 avion truck camper and the 2001 chevy dually is just about spent. because of ny it rotted very quickly. but still as strong as an ox. but, i want the 350 and he wants the 3500 oh, what to do?
__________________
jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #103
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
We have a 2011 Silverado 3500 Duramax which uses the DEF. We now have 16,000 miles on the truck, and have added DEF sevral times We are using a 2.5 gallon bottle of Peak DEF every 2,500 miles. We buy the DEF at Wal-Mart for $11.50. This make the DEF cost factor negligible. I'm sure that the Ford diesel would be about the same in this area.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 94
I have seriously looked into replacing my 02 gmc oil burner (with either a ford or gm) since reaching 200k miles but have a question for those of you that have 2011or 2012 models that have the regen to burn off the soot. Do your fuel milage computers account for the fuel burn during the regen? Has anyone done enough fuel receipt collection over an extended period of travel to verify the computer. It is great that some people are reporting such great milage figures but it seems to conflict with other reports on the diesel forums that I have visited.

Not to be disrespectful so I am posting this same question on the Duramax thread, too.
__________________
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
Streamside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #105
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygt View Post
thanks for the info! me and my husband can't agree i want a ford 350tdiesel and he wants a chevy 3500 gas. this has been going on for awhile now. we have a c-11 avion truck camper and the 2001 chevy dually is just about spent. because of ny it rotted very quickly. but still as strong as an ox. but, i want the 350 and he wants the 3500 oh, what to do?
If a truck rusts fast why buy a diesel engine that will far outlast the truck? Which ever way you go I would defiantly rust treat your new truck no matter what the dealer says.
Waxoyl USA
__________________
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member
 
dstalzer's Avatar
 
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 367
It followed me home!

I test drove a new 2012 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Diesel and it followed me home. The difference between my 2007 and the new 2012 is incredible. It is hard to tell the new diesel is not a gas engine from the sound it makes when it is running. The difference between the 2007 and the 2012 is really noticed when the accelerator is pressed and it takes off like a rocket. With all the technology and features, I think I may need to go to school to learn how to use them.

Dennis
__________________
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #107
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
I have seriously looked into replacing my 02 gmc oil burner (with either a ford or gm) since reaching 200k miles but have a question for those of you that have 2011or 2012 models that have the regen to burn off the soot. Do your fuel milage computers account for the fuel burn during the regen? Has anyone done enough fuel receipt collection over an extended period of travel to verify the computer. It is great that some people are reporting such great milage figures but it seems to conflict with other reports on the diesel forums that I have visited.

Not to be disrespectful so I am posting this same question on the Duramax thread, too.
We have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax. We took delivery on August 5, 2011. It was one of the last 2011's made. It now has 16,000 miles on it. I have closely monitored fuel consumption from the beginning, both manually and with the on-board computer. I have found the on-board computer to be extremely accurate. I now depend on it solely.

Thus far, the fuel mileage has been roughly what I expected. The truck alone has gotten 18 mpg on the highway. Pulling the Airstream with the solo truck gets 13 mpg. With the Outfitter truck camper solo, it gets 14 mpg. Pulling the Airstream with the Outfitter on board, the truck gets 11 mpg.

The truck has been consuming approximately 2.5 gallons of DEF every 2,500 miles.

I had the truck at a Chevrolet in Scranton, Pennsylvania, for a DEF system warning message. It turns out that I had turned the truck off during a regen which resulted in this warning the next morning. I did find out from the technician that the truck had under gone 10 regens with 10,000 miles on it. This would indicate that a regen takes place roughly every 500 miles with my type of driving. WE do mostly highway driving. Our average speed at 15,000 miles was 45.6 mph.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #108
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
In 10,000 miles I've used 5 gallons of DEF, the Motorcraft DEF I purchase comes with a nice filler attachment - 12.00 bucks a bottle.

I tow a 2011 30 foot Airstream via mountains, etc. and cruise around at 75-80 when not towing - 70 average when towing.

$24.00 per 10,000 miles with exhaust cleaner than a gas vehicle and way better mileage multiplied by much more torque to boot - same setup as on my Touareg (and new Cayeene when released in oil burner or Grand Cherooke in oil burner), DEF is the future of all Oil Burners and why I'm a fan of the new TDI engines over gas engines!
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax. We took delivery on August 5, 2011. It was one of the last 2011's made. It now has 16,000 miles on it. I have closely monitored fuel consumption from the beginning, both manually and with the on-board computer. I have found the on-board computer to be extremely accurate. I now depend on it solely.

Thus far, the fuel mileage has been roughly what I expected. The truck alone has gotten 18 mpg on the highway. Pulling the Airstream with the solo truck gets 13 mpg. With the Outfitter truck camper solo, it gets 14 mpg. Pulling the Airstream with the Outfitter on board, the truck gets 11 mpg.

The truck has been consuming approximately 2.5 gallons of DEF every 2,500 miles.

I had the truck at a Chevrolet in Scranton, Pennsylvania, for a DEF system warning message. It turns out that I had turned the truck off during a regen which resulted in this warning the next morning. I did find out from the technician that the truck had under gone 10 regens with 10,000 miles on it. This would indicate that a regen takes place roughly every 500 miles with my type of driving. WE do mostly highway driving. Our average speed at 15,000 miles was 45.6 mph.

Brian
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
__________________
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra
Streamside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #110
Capt W
 
2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 78
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 1
Belated reply, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Wayne and Sarah,

It looks like you are having a great trip. We are planning a similar trip in a couple years when we get retired. We have a 2007 F250SD and are looking to get a new 2011 or 2012.

What axle ratio does your truck have?

Dennis
Sorry for the late reply. I've been off the forum for some time. I'm not sure which ratio we have. We didn't have a choice, since the truck, in all it's other features was on the lot. But, it is either 3.31 or 3.55. I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but that is my ignorance talking.

We had such a great time on our trip and learned what we liked and didn't like about our Safari, that when we found a 28' International, we traded up. The Mary Joan II is now in Savannah, GA awaiting our trip to Florida in February.

Happy New Year

Wayne
__________________
Wayne and Sarah

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #111
Capt W
 
2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 78
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
I have seriously looked into replacing my 02 gmc oil burner (with either a ford or gm) since reaching 200k miles but have a question for those of you that have 2011or 2012 models that have the regen to burn off the soot. Do your fuel milage computers account for the fuel burn during the regen? Has anyone done enough fuel receipt collection over an extended period of travel to verify the computer. It is great that some people are reporting such great milage figures but it seems to conflict with other reports on the diesel forums that I have visited.

Not to be disrespectful so I am posting this same question on the Duramax thread, too.
Sorry the late reply,

But, my experience has been similar to other replies to your question. It does vary greatly depending on how much load you place on the engine. And, in my experience, increased idling time really uses the stuff up. Overall, it is not a major expense.

One interesting observation, mosquitoes find the exhaust gas very appealing. We were at a state park in Pennsylvania early on in our trip and I had to put a long sleeve jacket, pants and insect head screen to unhook the TV.

Happy New Year

Wayne
__________________
Wayne and Sarah

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #112
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
Sorry the late reply,

But, my experience has been similar to other replies to your question. It does vary greatly depending on how much load you place on the engine. And, in my experience, increased idling time really uses the stuff up. Overall, it is not a major expense.

One interesting observation, mosquitoes find the exhaust gas very appealing. We were at a state park in Pennsylvania early on in our trip and I had to put a long sleeve jacket, pants and insect head screen to unhook the TV.

Happy New Year

Wayne
FYI, no modern diesels need to idle. This practice is a carryover from antiquated technology. Please, to save the air and oil, and money, operate your modern diesels just like a gasser. No need to warm up. no need to keep running in cold weather....they'll restart fine.

Manufacturers from small 4 cyls to class 8 trucks are starting to put idle time limiters on their vehicles to stop this practice. It is completely unnecessary.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
85 Ford F250 diesel pull 27ft. Ambassador?? LucyPepper Tow Vehicles 3 03-29-2010 11:04 AM
2011 Ford 350 with no adds on gamana Tow Vehicles 17 03-19-2010 06:25 AM
3/4 Ton Test Drives (8.1L Sub Gas, Exc Diesel, F250 Diesel) big_john Tow Vehicles 7 02-21-2010 01:02 PM
Airstream Disc Brakes and Ford F250 Air Apparent Tow Vehicles 11 04-28-2009 12:32 PM
Ford 150 Over Drive woodedareas Tow Vehicles 20 07-29-2007 03:42 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.