Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Design intent for GM was to have the need for a DEF refill at the time of an engine oil change. For most of us "road warriors" that rule of thumb should apply. (This is utilizing the on-board oil life monitor as the oil change interval indicator). If you use an arbitrary number, such as 3000 miles as an oil change interval, you could only fill DEF every other oil change.

Some work applications could change this scenario...such as snow plowing, PTO use, high idle times, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #102
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Spencer , New York
thanks for the info! me and my husband can't agree i want a ford 350tdiesel and he wants a chevy 3500 gas. this has been going on for awhile now. we have a c-11 avion truck camper and the 2001 chevy dually is just about spent. because of ny it rotted very quickly. but still as strong as an ox. but, i want the 350 and he wants the 3500 oh, what to do?
jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #103

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2011 Silverado 3500 Duramax which uses the DEF. We now have 16,000 miles on the truck, and have added DEF sevral times We are using a 2.5 gallon bottle of Peak DEF every 2,500 miles. We buy the DEF at Wal-Mart for $11.50. This make the DEF cost factor negligible. I'm sure that the Ford diesel would be about the same in this area.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
I have seriously looked into replacing my 02 gmc oil burner (with either a ford or gm) since reaching 200k miles but have a question for those of you that have 2011or 2012 models that have the regen to burn off the soot. Do your fuel milage computers account for the fuel burn during the regen? Has anyone done enough fuel receipt collection over an extended period of travel to verify the computer. It is great that some people are reporting such great milage figures but it seems to conflict with other reports on the diesel forums that I have visited.

Not to be disrespectful so I am posting this same question on the Duramax thread, too.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygt View Post
thanks for the info! me and my husband can't agree i want a ford 350tdiesel and he wants a chevy 3500 gas. this has been going on for awhile now. we have a c-11 avion truck camper and the 2001 chevy dually is just about spent. because of ny it rotted very quickly. but still as strong as an ox. but, i want the 350 and he wants the 3500 oh, what to do?
If a truck rusts fast why buy a diesel engine that will far outlast the truck? Which ever way you go I would defiantly rust treat your new truck no matter what the dealer says.
Waxoyl USA
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
It followed me home!

I test drove a new 2012 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Diesel and it followed me home. The difference between my 2007 and the new 2012 is incredible. It is hard to tell the new diesel is not a gas engine from the sound it makes when it is running. The difference between the 2007 and the 2012 is really noticed when the accelerator is pressed and it takes off like a rocket. With all the technology and features, I think I may need to go to school to learn how to use them.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #107

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
I have seriously looked into replacing my 02 gmc oil burner (with either a ford or gm) since reaching 200k miles but have a question for those of you that have 2011or 2012 models that have the regen to burn off the soot. Do your fuel milage computers account for the fuel burn during the regen? Has anyone done enough fuel receipt collection over an extended period of travel to verify the computer. It is great that some people are reporting such great milage figures but it seems to conflict with other reports on the diesel forums that I have visited.

Not to be disrespectful so I am posting this same question on the Duramax thread, too.
We have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax. We took delivery on August 5, 2011. It was one of the last 2011's made. It now has 16,000 miles on it. I have closely monitored fuel consumption from the beginning, both manually and with the on-board computer. I have found the on-board computer to be extremely accurate. I now depend on it solely.

Thus far, the fuel mileage has been roughly what I expected. The truck alone has gotten 18 mpg on the highway. Pulling the Airstream with the solo truck gets 13 mpg. With the Outfitter truck camper solo, it gets 14 mpg. Pulling the Airstream with the Outfitter on board, the truck gets 11 mpg.

The truck has been consuming approximately 2.5 gallons of DEF every 2,500 miles.

I had the truck at a Chevrolet in Scranton, Pennsylvania, for a DEF system warning message. It turns out that I had turned the truck off during a regen which resulted in this warning the next morning. I did find out from the technician that the truck had under gone 10 regens with 10,000 miles on it. This would indicate that a regen takes place roughly every 500 miles with my type of driving. WE do mostly highway driving. Our average speed at 15,000 miles was 45.6 mph.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
In 10,000 miles I've used 5 gallons of DEF, the Motorcraft DEF I purchase comes with a nice filler attachment - 12.00 bucks a bottle.

I tow a 2011 30 foot Airstream via mountains, etc. and cruise around at 75-80 when not towing - 70 average when towing.

$24.00 per 10,000 miles with exhaust cleaner than a gas vehicle and way better mileage multiplied by much more torque to boot - same setup as on my Touareg (and new Cayeene when released in oil burner or Grand Cherooke in oil burner), DEF is the future of all Oil Burners and why I'm a fan of the new TDI engines over gas engines!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax. We took delivery on August 5, 2011. It was one of the last 2011's made. It now has 16,000 miles on it. I have closely monitored fuel consumption from the beginning, both manually and with the on-board computer. I have found the on-board computer to be extremely accurate. I now depend on it solely.

Thus far, the fuel mileage has been roughly what I expected. The truck alone has gotten 18 mpg on the highway. Pulling the Airstream with the solo truck gets 13 mpg. With the Outfitter truck camper solo, it gets 14 mpg. Pulling the Airstream with the Outfitter on board, the truck gets 11 mpg.

The truck has been consuming approximately 2.5 gallons of DEF every 2,500 miles.

I had the truck at a Chevrolet in Scranton, Pennsylvania, for a DEF system warning message. It turns out that I had turned the truck off during a regen which resulted in this warning the next morning. I did find out from the technician that the truck had under gone 10 regens with 10,000 miles on it. This would indicate that a regen takes place roughly every 500 miles with my type of driving. WE do mostly highway driving. Our average speed at 15,000 miles was 45.6 mph.

Brian
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #110
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Belated reply, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Wayne and Sarah,

It looks like you are having a great trip. We are planning a similar trip in a couple years when we get retired. We have a 2007 F250SD and are looking to get a new 2011 or 2012.

What axle ratio does your truck have?

Dennis
Sorry for the late reply. I've been off the forum for some time. I'm not sure which ratio we have. We didn't have a choice, since the truck, in all it's other features was on the lot. But, it is either 3.31 or 3.55. I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but that is my ignorance talking.

We had such a great time on our trip and learned what we liked and didn't like about our Safari, that when we found a 28' International, we traded up. The Mary Joan II is now in Savannah, GA awaiting our trip to Florida in February.

Happy New Year

Wayne

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #111
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post

Sorry the late reply,

But, my experience has been similar to other replies to your question. It does vary greatly depending on how much load you place on the engine. And, in my experience, increased idling time really uses the stuff up. Overall, it is not a major expense.

One interesting observation, mosquitoes find the exhaust gas very appealing. We were at a state park in Pennsylvania early on in our trip and I had to put a long sleeve jacket, pants and insect head screen to unhook the TV.

Happy New Year

Wayne

Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
Sorry the late reply,

But, my experience has been similar to other replies to your question. It does vary greatly depending on how much load you place on the engine. And, in my experience, increased idling time really uses the stuff up. Overall, it is not a major expense.

One interesting observation, mosquitoes find the exhaust gas very appealing. We were at a state park in Pennsylvania early on in our trip and I had to put a long sleeve jacket, pants and insect head screen to unhook the TV.

Happy New Year

Wayne
FYI, no modern diesels need to idle. This practice is a carryover from antiquated technology. Please, to save the air and oil, and money, operate your modern diesels just like a gasser. No need to warm up. no need to keep running in cold weather....they'll restart fine.

Manufacturers from small 4 cyls to class 8 trucks are starting to put idle time limiters on their vehicles to stop this practice. It is completely unnecessary.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #113
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
I agree 100% about idling modern diesels. But, I do let the diesel 'warm up and cool down a little more than I do my much smaller gasoline engines. I am particularly careful to avoid situations where I don't run it long enough to bring the engine up to full operating temp and maintain it for at least half an hour if I am going to shut it down and let it sit for a few days.

This is probably a hold over from my time owning sailboats with diesel auxiliary engines. I was taught that running the engine just long enough to get into or out of the slip was very hard on the diesel since the moisture generated never gets completely boiled off and remains in the oil. Analyzing the oil for water and other contaminents is common in the marine industry.

Only five more weeks until we head south, hooray

Take care
Wayne

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would even say that's no longer necessary. The warm up and cool down periods were primarily to ensure oil to turbo bearings at startup and to cool down the extremely hot turbo bearings so no cooking and coking of the oil occurs. Both resulting in premature turbo failures. Most if not all (check your own) of the turbo center sections are now water cooled and never see those extreme temperatures. Also, modern oils are both, much better cold flowing and heat resistant, especially the synthetic diesel formulations.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #115
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
dznf0g, I agree. In fact there's probably way to much idling going on with these modern diesels. The Ford Diesel Supplement manual the truck comes with warns against long idling for warm up (it won't in cold weather). BUT, it does have one exception. The diesel supplement does state that after extended high speed, high ambient temperature or high GVW/GCW tow/haul operation you should let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes to let the turbocharger and engine return to normal operating temps before shutting down.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell
dznf0g, I agree. In fact there's probably way to much idling going on with these modern diesels. The Ford Diesel Supplement manual the truck comes with warns against long idling for warm up (it won't in cold weather). BUT, it does have one exception. The diesel supplement does state that after extended high speed, high ambient temperature or high GVW/GCW tow/haul operation you should let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes to let the turbocharger and engine return to normal operating temps before shutting down.
I would definitely agree if your going from 60mph to 0mph and shutting it off right away. But MOST of us, MOST of the time have a period of time where we are low speed driving, easy throttle, stop lights, etc. to get to our destination. That is plenty of time to cool all the real hot stuff. Just use common sense.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #117
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Thanks for the input.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #118
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a diesel truck and I agree, mostly, with what I have been reading. Generally when driving I find that there is enough low speed operation prior to shutdown to allow the engine/ turbo/ trans to come to operating temps. So under these conditions allowing it to idle in unnecessary and simply a waste of fuel. I will offer my suggestion here that when operating at highway speed and you pull off into a rest area for a pit stop there has not been that extended low speed operation and here ( and here only) I would let it idle for perhaps only an extra couple of minutes to give some time to cool down.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
OK, I have an '06 F250, you guys have me very tempted in looking at a new model.
Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Going to order mine tomorrow..2012 F250 gas King Ranch 4x4 crew cab short bed, 3.7 locking rear end. Black

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote