Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
lets see how these new diesels hold up when owners are too cheap to do the maintenance.my brother who is a ford tech is going to keep me in the loop.keeping any of these diesels stock and keeping up on the maintenance is the key to longevity.on the 6.0 the last two years of production had the least amount of warranty claims of any of the ford diesels.go into any of the big three sites and they all have had there problems.short trips on any of the new diesels are going to be problematic.after market equipment will certainly foul things up like it did on the uninformed owners of the 6.0 new generation engines.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #44
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
xonvldz, I agree. Maintenance is going to be very important, and it will not be cheap. More almost 4 gallons of oil per change (dealer charge is $110 today). You are also correct about short trips. These engines need to brought up to temperature and kept there for a while. We are sailors, and one of the worst things many sailors do is run their auxiliary diesel for the 10 minutes it takes to get on or off the mooring. Mechanics I've spoken to say that causes carbon and moisture to build up in the engines which really messes them up.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
xonvldz, I agree. Maintenance is going to be very important, and it will not be cheap. More almost 4 gallons of oil per change (dealer charge is $110 today). You are also correct about short trips. These engines need to brought up to temperature and kept there for a while. We are sailors, and one of the worst things many sailors do is run their auxiliary diesel for the 10 minutes it takes to get on or off the mooring. Mechanics I've spoken to say that causes carbon and moisture to build up in the engines which really messes them up.
$110 for what? DEF should be $2.50 - $3.50/gal. Was this LOF, Rotate, DEF and something else?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
$110 for what? DEF should be $2.50 - $3.50/gal. Was this LOF, Rotate, DEF and something else?
That's the price you will pay to own a modern diesel and having it serviced at the dealer. You may get a slightly better price elsewhere or DIY.
Oil alone will cost a minimum of $15 per gallon, filter will be about $12 etc... plus any other complete checks and fluid top offs that the dealer will do.
My dealer advertised $80 as a special coupon for my Dodge but I'm a DIY type if I have time.
My brother has been paying about $100 for his 2005 F250 6.0 at the dealer.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Ford is gonna be the leader for awhile.

Shane
Ford may have reached professional grade now if the new engine doesnt turn out to be another powerjoke.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #48
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I too am DIY type, I was just quoting our local dealer cost, I'm in a small town.

Since we touched on the subject this may or may not be off topic. The owner's manual says not to use synthetic lubricant for the first 5,000 miles in order to allow for proper setting of the piston rings. I plan on following that advice, but I do plan to use synthetic after that. I used Shell Rotella in my boat and was happy with it. Some claim that synthetics are better for sailboats since the engines sit idle for long periods of time. Since I plan on using this almost exclusively as a TV as we still have two cars,this means that it may sit for 2 - 3 months at a time when we are home or sailing (our other passion). My thinking is that this situation is much like the boat.

I changed the oil and filter every 75 hours. It only took 5.5 qts so the cost wasn't an issue and it gave me peace of mind. However, once off warranty I hope to extend the interval between oil changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on that, or what are you doing?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
I changed the oil and filter every 75 hours.
That seems excessive given you're planning to use a quality full synthetic.

I know it's an older generation of engines, but when I maintained my 7.3 powerstoke, I'd send oil samples for analysis and would generally start to see the oil breaking down after 300 hours. After that, I set my personal oil change interval for that F350 to 200 hours. It's average speed was only 32 mph though, so that normally worked out to 5,000 miles or so.

A friend who maintains a fleet finds he gets around 225-250 hours from Delo 400. Those trucks all have bodies on them and weight 10,000 lbs or more.

Have you done oil analysis to find when your oil actually starts to degrade?

That said, more frequent oil changes are not harmful at ALL, and if you have ample time and resources, a conservative approach protecting your big investment is always beneficial. Also, you get to change your oil more often than most people check theirs, so you'll get a faster heads up if a problem starts to develop.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #50
_

. , .
trucks, syn and prolonged parking without use...

big fan of synthetics and use them in all the vehicles (and genset and lawn gear)

many vehicles now come from the factory with syn IN, as brand new.

these diesel trucks still don't and until they do,

consider waiting longer before the switch.

i'm gonna hold off till 15-20,000 miles this time.

this may not be rational or based on oil science

but i think switching to syn at 5 k is too soon.
_________

and while u might WANT to do extended change intervals keep in mind that...

used primarily for TOWING the truck is in the 'severe duty' category and the normal intervals are shortened.
_________

as 4 dealer costs to do oil changes, the 3 dealer/shops i use all charge ~90-95$ for a oil/filter change using motocraft.

and every 5th change is free, so that's another 20% off.

when i take them 4 gallons of syn (shell) the charge is filter only and disposal fees (~30$)

while i do like doing changes in the driveway and it's pretty easy on these trucks,

it's still a lot of oil to carry/recycle.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
2air,

All the trucks in the fleet that is my sample are severe duty uses: 10,000 lb loads, heavy towing, and no extended idling - run time was all work. I'm just demonstrating the data is comparable and relevant. The company tried many oils and none made it past 350 hours. Delo 400 was the consistent most durable oil in their tests, but only by a small margin.

It IS a lot of oil to handle. I normally buy at Walmart for low price, then take the used oil in the original containers to their tire and brake dept - in this area, anyone who sells oil is required to offer free oil collection.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #52
_

. , .
my post was in response to wrochdvm specifically and the info in posts #44 and #48.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I was answering this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
and while u might WANT to do extended change intervals keep in mind that...

used primarily for TOWING the truck is in the 'severe duty' category and the normal intervals are shortened.
It's relevant info showing where the oil breaks down in severe conditions, which might help those with hour meters to go for shorter oil change intervals if hours accumulate (though you shouldn't really low-idle diesels anyway) but that there does seem to be a hard upper limit of oil failure of 300 hours, or 350 hours with Delo 400.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I've always heard idling a diesel never hurt it, and in fact better to idle then shut down and turn back on....

Gonna have to go Google now.... ;-)
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
I've always heard idling a diesel never hurt it, and in fact better to idle then shut down and turn back on....

Gonna have to go Google now.... ;-)
This is another one of those true-isms from the distant past which continues to live on. When fuel control systems on diesels was primitive and mechanical, and diesel fuel additives were less "robust", it was true, particularly in cold weather.

With modern diesels (electronically controlled, very high atomization of fuel, etc) and modern fuels, it isn't necessary any more, and IMO is just wasteful.
EXCEPTION: VERY cold weather....like -20 and below.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #56
_

. , .
just to add 2 dz' info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
I've always heard idling a diesel never hurt it...
sorry jf' thats old stuff and might not have been true even for the semi/big truck crowd, unless running refers' n things...

might have been OK with the early powerstrokes, but no longer.

google wet stacking or coking of the egr valves...

low idle=bad and even high idle isn't good for these small engines.

many older threads here on this, and a TON of stuff on any of the truck enthusiast forums...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ing-19960.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ing-23823.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...dle-30720.html

not to mention it really kills mpg.

cheers
2air