Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Southampton , New Jersey
Need Help from the best "Decision Makers" of this forum.

First and formost I'd like to thank you all for your time and very valuable information !

**The big question is: Can someone tell me for certain if the 1500 Suburban with the auto ride suspension and the towing package, using a PP hitch, adding my lovely wife, a weeks worth of gear, add only enough water to handle a two day trip to a destination that will just be used for showers etc.

That said, Will it or Wont it safely tow a 25 FB Classic Limited or Serenity ?

joeifagroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
. , .
if the burb weighs 6400 lbs per your scale report

and the gCwr is 11500 lbs, as you have reported...

that leaves 5100 lbs for towing capacity (including payload)

it would be very hard to NOT be over payload and gcwr with anything longer than 23 ft.

if those figures R correct.

either go with the math or ignore it.

moosetags is using a 2500 not a 1500.

"safely towing" has widely different definitions.

one can be withIN specs and not safe

or oVer specs and behave safely.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Brian, I am curious about your trailer weight. How did you have her loaded? In otherwords, were you fully loaded for a camping trip?
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by joeifagroup View Post
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) 11500 lbs

Maximum Payload 1657.00 lbs

Axle Capacity - Front 3600 lbs

Axle Capacity - Rear 4200 lbs

The rule of thumb around here is to buy the trailer first. Fill 'er up and get some scale readings for axle and tongue. Then buy the tow vehicle.

Another, somewhat popular r-u-t (among some of us) is that a 7,000-lb trailer is sort of the dividing line between a half-ton TV and a 3/4 or 1-T TV. It isn't that the lighter vehicle won't do it . . it will. Just not very well, and not within manufacturer guidelines. That last bit is the kicker. It's a problem to recommend to anyone that they exceed capacities.

For some trips on the flats you'll probably wonder why the fuss. For extended driving through, say, West Virginia you'll become acquainted with higher engine rpms on an uneven basis until you learn to read the road ahead and use the throttle & brakes appropriately. It'll be up to you to decide.

The previous owner of my trailer (see sig) used a half-ton truck for most of the years he owned it. The trips were not long in length and Texas is not burdened in main with hills. He switched to a 3/4T Suburban at retirement.

No matter your choice I'd equip any trailer from hereon with a sway-eliminating hitch (Pro-Pride favored) and disc brakes. The best performance from the most roadworthy trailer will help (but not cure) any numerical, ah, cheatin'. You'll of course want to use a certified scale to set up the hitch rigging and to check it against different loads (different trips) to use it most effectively.

You can also read up on threads here (or online articles) by Andrew Thomson of Can Am RV ("AndrewT") for another look at towing guidelines. Just be aware that those opposed get rather testy about the alternatives (though little different from what everyone did in the 1960's and '70's).

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Brian, I am curious about your trailer weight. How did you have her loaded? In otherwords, were you fully loaded for a camping trip?

Yes, when Lucy was weighed, she was on her way out on a six week camping trip. Her LP tanks were full, her fresh water tank was also full. Inside was all the stuff for a long trip. We tow with a Hensley, so that adds another couple of hundred pounds. Daisy was full of gas and her cargo area was loaded including our two Honda 2000 Generators, Amos and Leon. Yes, even the generators have names.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Southampton , New Jersey
Thanks Rednax, Brian and the rest of you, All sound advice.

I do have a lot of towing experience with different types of vehicles.

Our last Motor home, a Freightliner Columbia / Showhauler MOHO conversion used to tow a 32 ft. stacker trailer for Drag racing. Safe it was, but it was overkill.

It's gone now to a good friend but, It was built with the thought in mind of safer towing, in case of an unfortunate accident.

Its was much safer than the Winnebago Journey towing a 30ft tri-axle trailer I had prior, strictly from a collision standpoint, Otherwise it was a great coach that did quite well.

That's why I'm discussing the 1500 Suburban as a TV with all of you.

Today I had the pleasure of talking with a very knowledgeable sales person at a AS dealer. After a lot of great discussion, I understood that a 1500 Suburban is a good choice for towing a Flying cloud (because of weight) 25 FB or 27 FB and a P.P. hitch. this combo has been used by many of their customers.

When all was said and done, I felt very comfortable with their vast knowledge of the AS wet weights and the 1500 Suburban for a TV.

I felt that after our conversation, all I had left to do was decide on the 25 or 27 Flying cloud or International. I lean towards the 27.

Your thoughts

joeifagroup is offline   Reply With Quote